HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Fuel line replacement at tank questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel line replacement at tank questions

Hi ya'll,<br><br>Trying to be a good fella and replace the fuel lines before they go. Bought a bunch of 3/8&quot; hose at the local big truck store, ripped the old stuff out, and discovered that the other line is 5/16&quot;!! So I've crippled it until Monday when I can get more line (Advance and Autozone didn't know what fuel their line is good for, and I don't feel like doing this twice).<br><br>First question: How do you connect to the steel fuel lines in the bung on top of the tank? They have some sort of QD fitting. Connect to the barb on the QD fitting or scrape all the fitting parts off the steel and connect directly to them?<br><br>Second question: There are like four ports in the bung. Three are used for stuff (electric connection, fuel lines, a small one I don't know what for but it's got a small cap on it) and a fourth one about an inch or a little bigger diameter that has nothing in it and DOESN'T HAVE A CAP. I get the feeling that this is supposed to be capped. Anyone know? Is this something I have to get at the dealer? A rubber plug from the hardware store? Turn a steel plug and silicone(or whatever goop is appropriate) in place. This kind of bothers me; looks like a heck of a place to get water in.<br><br>Would appreciate some help with this.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Rob
Old 10-27-2002, 05:52 PM
RCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Fuel line replacement at tank questions

The four holes should be:<br>Fuel feed and fuel return in the same fitting, at 12 O'clock for reference.<br>Guage connection, at 3 O'clock.<br>Pressure relief rollover valve or plug, at 6 O'clock.<br>Auxillary fuel feed (little short thing that sticks straight up and is capped) at 9 O'clock.<br><br>I suspect that someone has failed to install the pressure relief rollover valve, and you can get one from just about any wrecking yard for a few cents. Most gas rigs use the same configuration. I always install a short chunk of fuel hose and a small filter on mine up between the bed and back of the cab to keep frogs, dirt, and snails out of the fuel tank.<br><br>For your first question, If you do not use the DC OEM hoses, the most direct (and unapproved) farmer method I use is to trip the locks and pull and toss the OEM fittings and simply replace them with slip on hose and flat spring loaded clamps (not the airplane screw type). I use two clamps on each end, four to a hose, and have never had one leak. Or, for big bucks get the DC hoses and replace them with OEM hoses.<br><br>