12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Fuel Line Replacement - Tank to Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel Line Replacement - Tank to Pump

I just developed another fluid leak. Can't seem to keep any of the fluids in this thing. Anyway it's leaking fuel from right around the fuel tank. The area between the tank and the frame is all wet. I assume that one of the lines is leaking/rusted. I want to replace the complete lines from the tank to the pump as I did a search and found I should expect another leak closer to the engine itself.

After reading previous threads I see that I need 5/16" and 3/8" diesel approved rubber hose to fix the section near the engine, is it the same sizes all the back to the tank?

Can I replace both sections with one continuous length? and if I can anyone have any idea how much of each size hose I would need to do this. I assume I just cut the stock clamps and replace them with regular hose clamps.

I looked at the tank end and there are three lines coming out of the sender, I guess a supply, a return and a vent? I only need to change the supply (3/8") and return (5/16") right.

Thanks for any info!!
Old 11-14-2004, 04:28 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Replaced both of mine with 3/8, pump to tank. Mine was leaking at the rubber tank connections. The steel line didn't look like it was gonna last long.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I replace the rubber lines from engine to tank all the time now instead of just the short sections on the engine. I've found that when wrestling with getting a new rubber hose connected to the metal one on top of the bell housing that the metal line will sometimes start leaking where the bolt down tab is welded on. Plus it sure is a lot easier than messing around behind the engine to go all the way to the tank. I've used 5/16 line for return and 3/8 for feed, run them though plastic wire loom to protect against chaffing. Leave the old lines abandoned in place.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:36 PM

Thanks, that's what I'll do.

Why is there three lines running along the frame to the front of the truck, and should I change them all?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:27 AM

One of the lines is for the brakes, I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by infidel
One of the lines is for the brakes, I wouldn't mess with it.
That makes sense. Should have looked a little closer.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:26 PM

anyone know how long rubber hose you need to go from pump to tank on a 1 ton cab and chassis
Old 11-29-2004, 05:53 PM

A long bed X cab takes about 7 ft
Old 11-29-2004, 06:14 PM

I got it done a week ago. Not too bad except for the clamp on the return line . I bought a 25' roll of 3/8" hose and used all but about 2'. That was running directly from the tank to the pump without using ANY of the existing lines and leaving about 6" of extra hose at each end, closer to 10' for each line ('95 club cab, long box).

I know it's my imagination but it seems to run better now. I guess the old girl just likes any kind of attention she can get.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the reply - guess I know what my job is tomorrow !
Old 11-30-2004, 12:31 AM

sidewinder, you said you bpught a 25 foot roll? now is that the marine stuff or regular reinforced gas line? I just replaced my lines ( did the short version) but couldnt get the marine stuff as refered to elsewhere on the site. I used gas line, also my brother is a diesel mechanic (just out of school) and claimed that the gas line will hold up. The parts house in my area told me that IF they can get the marine stuff its like 8 bucks a foot. This all sounds fishy as I live on the Mississippi river, maybe they all paddle their boats around the river??? lol One more thing, this site called for 3/8 line and 5/16. when we did my lines the 3/8 was way too big, I ended up using 5/16 on both for a way better fit. the 3/8 even with a tight clamp could still be pulled right off.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:11 AM

The gas line will NOT last very long at all. You can get a kit from here:

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/
Old 11-30-2004, 10:26 AM

lol the 3/8 hose is too big. That kit wont work for me already mentioned that.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 AM

MX261,

I looked for Diesel fuel line and couldn't find it so I just used regular automotive gas line. I checked out a few places on the net and they seemed to say that gas line was OK for diesel use. I used 3/8" for both the supply and return simply because I bought a roll of it but I can see that it would have been better to use the 5/16" on the return line. I put two clamps on each connection (one "fuel injection" clamp and one stainless worm gear type) and so far no leaks.

This might not be ideal but if it gets me through the winter I can replace everything again when it gets warm again. I HATE THE COLD!!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:51 AM

Some gas hose may be compatible with diesel but definitely not all, I've seen some melt down in less than six months. I certainly wouldn't waste my time installing anything you weren't sure of. Auto parts counter guys are most often a very bad source of info.
All that I use now says diesel right on the hose, better yet it should say USCG approved fire proof.

Less than 50¢/ft from http://www.houseofhose.com/

Quick Reply: Fuel Line Replacement - Tank to Pump