HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Fuel pressure all over the board

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pressure all over the board

I took my yearly memorial day trip up to Tahoe today from the bay area. As soon as I crested the summit up here @7200 ft, I noticed the fuel pressure gauge was reading 5 lbs at normal throttle. At idle I was at MAX 7psi. I never tried WOT. I came to a stop and the gauge went back up to 14!!!! Then it jumped all over the place, and settled back at normal pressure. Totally weird really. Is my fuel pump bad?

Now for a little background... When I start the truck normally, I hear the pump come on for a split second while the Wait to start light is on... If I bump the starter, no difference. I am pretty sure the pump is bad, or am I on drugs? PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I have to go home on Monday, and I need to fix this problem. I have Summit right up the road, so I can run up there and grab the Carter poump tomorrow.

Does the carter pump fit right in the place of the stock cummins pump? Can I use the stock wiring? When I get home, I will throw another pump back at the tank too.

thanks
Dima
Old 05-28-2005, 04:54 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
From what I understand, the Carter is a direct replacement as far as fuel lines and mounting points, but instead of having a 'quick-connect' harness like the stock replacement, you have two posts you need to hook the power connections to.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You are not crazy, or on drugs. When my LP went bad it did the same thing. Start it up and pressure is fine, 14psi, but then drops to about half after running a few minutes, then it goes back up, or drops to 2-3 psi. Sometimes it would not come back up until I cut ther truck off and restarted. I installed a FASS and never looked back.
Do yourself a favor and get a FASS II. It will cost a little more than twice the stock LP, but you'll never have to worry about it again. It uses your stock fuel filter, so no major changes except mounting the pump and running the new feed line from the tank to the filter housing. The wiring is good also, in that is has a relay to take the load off the ECM, and the trigger wires directly into your stock LP connector, so it runs liek the stock LP would. Installation is not that difficult, and can eb done in about 2 hours if you are decent with a wrench.

Chris
Old 05-29-2005, 12:20 PM

the problem was my location... I am in Truckee on Memorial Day weekend, and I have to get back to Redwood City on Monday. I went to Summit in Sparks and got myself the carter pump. Talk about COOL!!!! i got rid of the banjo fittings, and ran 3/8 fuel line all the way through. I now have the Carter pump in the stock location, and I am running 15 at idle, and 12 WOT... Now I am gonna go run the powerjoke.

Dima
Old 05-29-2005, 07:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Flatty
the problem was my location... I am in Truckee on Memorial Day weekend, and I have to get back to Redwood City on Monday. I went to Summit in Sparks and got myself the carter pump. Talk about COOL!!!! i got rid of the banjo fittings, and ran 3/8 fuel line all the way through. I now have the Carter pump in the stock location, and I am running 15 at idle, and 12 WOT... Now I am gonna go run the powerjoke.

Dima
Interesting. Did you trash the banjos to the VP44 also, or just to the filter housing? What did you screw into the filter housing to connect the hose from the pump to?

Please keep us posted on how this lift pump works. I am sure many are insterested.

Chris
Old 05-29-2005, 09:02 PM

The ball in the pressure regualtor portion of the pump gets hung up and more than likely that is what the problem is.

Change the pump and you should be good to go..

Jason
Old 05-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Stamey
Interesting. Did you trash the banjos to the VP44 also, or just to the filter housing? What did you screw into the filter housing to connect the hose from the pump to?

Please keep us posted on how this lift pump works. I am sure many are insterested.

Chris
I just tore the banjos on the pump off. the one that goes to the VP44 is still on there.The main fuel line that comes into the LP was sut and then the line that comes out was cut.

So far so good. I am stioll getting 15 at idle, and 10-12 WOT.

Dima