HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Engine shuts off when coasting!!

Old 10-24-2003, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine shuts off when coasting!!

Several times when coasting to slow down in a speed zone (when the speed drops from 70 to 40 going in to a town) the engine has just died!!

I have to drop it to neuteral & restart it.
The spooky part is when it dies going 50 mph I lose power steering & the vacuume pump for the brakes.

Anyone know what it might be??

I'm taking it to my dealer for it's free oil change next week & I'll have them look at it then.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:56 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Re:Engine shuts off when coasting!!

Does it just die as tho you switched it off or does it slowly wind down. Next time it happens try and watch the tach. Does it sit at normal idle speed for a while before it dies or does it die as soon as you start to coast?
Old 10-24-2003, 04:03 PM

It's real itermittant (it's happened about 6 times in 5000 miles), I notice it when I lose the power steering & it's died by then.
The engine is so quiet that I don't notice it's shut off till the steering goes!!
I'll keep an eye on the tach & see if I can catch what it's doing.

I just noticed a similar post in 3rd gen engines & drive train, so I know I'm not the only one it's happened to.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:36 PM

If I had a 2003 model I would not touch it myself (yea right). Being under warranty let the dealer worry about it.
Tom
Old 10-24-2003, 08:47 PM

Sounds like it has no idea what spped the engine is running and therefore can set the throttle to keep it idling. Its probably a simpleengine speed sensor or whatever they have decided to call it on this truck.

I would take it in as they should be able to see if the input to the PCM from that engine speed sensor is providing accurate counts of engine rotation.

Good Luck

Jason
Old 10-27-2003, 01:35 PM

On my 99, It died on me twice. It ended up being the lift pump, which in turn ended up needing a new injector pump. When it shut off, it just died!! Not slowly though...Just off!

Good luck - these trucks are worth the grief they give us!!
Old 10-27-2003, 05:29 PM

I feel for yuh and would take that sucker in for warranty work. Ditto on let them worry about it. I have a similar problem with no warranty left and wish I did. My truck dosn't shut off but it does just drop to idle and wont respond to the foot feed until after a couple of minutes. I have replaced the filters and done my maintenance every 3 to 4.5 k miles and the lift pump. I have a new scotty II air filter and I use a diesel additive for Injection pump lubrication. I have cleanec and checked most of my connectors. I have replaced my serpentine belt and scratched my head alot. It is a great running truck in town but not real reliable on trips of greater than 3 hours in length. It will set the check engine light but clear after the truck has been off overnight. I am looking at replacing all of my cheap sensors and then the throttle position sensor. I am going to check my engine codes again and pray my injection pump isn't going south. I have aslo recalibrated my TPS(called something else on my year but can't remember). Sorry to ramble but go with the warranty and keep your sanity!
Old 10-30-2003, 10:14 AM

Well I took it to the drealer & they couldn't duplicate the problem so I let the mechanic drive my truck home (he lives 40 miles from the dealership) so he could try to duplcate the problem & it worked, it died on him.

The bad news is they don't know why it's doing it & they had it hooked up to a diagnostic computer when it died on him.

They know that the lift pump needs to be replaced to solve the rattling problem at idle but at least the problem reappeared with the mechanic driving my truck so it's documented.
This is a problem that if it can't be fixed I'll try the lemon law on to make them replace the truck, it's dangerous to be driving along with an enclosed trailer & lose power steering & brakes going 50 MPH.

Any Ideas on what it could be???
Old 10-30-2003, 05:36 PM

After further testing by the dealer my lift pump is fine, they ordered some part for the fuel rail & something called a CT3 pump (I think that's what they said, the part number isn't written on my invoice.

I'll let you know what it was & if it helps.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:06 PM

Ideas are always floating in and out of my melon. I have read so many different TSB's on vehicles over the years and BB postings that i may bust. Superfulous(SP) information is my forte'. ;D I would think a computer problem but you said no codes on the diagnostic. MAP sensor would kill it I believe. Lift pump or a seized injection pump(momentarily anyway) Aint sure on the Injection pump but I know they operate on real close tolearnces. Filter contamination getting into the injection pump is bad news and have heard stories about metal shavings, dirt and other contaminants being in the system from the factory. A clogged or crimped fuel supply line. A vent on the gas tank being capped is another area. Electrical connectors can sometimes rattle lose or because of being lose cause something to heat up and then momentarily open the circuit it is related too. Usually these will finally just go bad(smoke) or blow a fuse or relay. Vacuum on some of my vehicles has had the puter puking bad codes and such before but never just killed the engine. Heck I would love to be of help but the possibilities are various and would need more readings or information to track it to the source. Good luck and make the dealer do there job. Get back to us when you get it figured out.