General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What shuts off a diesel engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What shuts off a diesel engine?

Like the subject reads. I was just up visiting my folkes this weekend and my dad has 3, 17hp diesel engines he's converting for generators. He will give me one if he can figure out how to shut them off. These engines were stripped from commercial floor buffing equipment. 2 new one used. He's sure he can get them to run but is concerned on how to shut them off without the shutoff switch from the commercial equipment, not included with the purchase. We thought about a fuel shutoff but that doesn't sound right or good for the engines. What shuts off a CTD or diesel engine besides the key.

Thanks.

P.S.
For anyone that was following the Black Tank thread, never use baby wipes in your camper toilet. My 4yr daughter thought since it has a potty she could use her wipes like at home, NOPE.

Bill.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They shut down by stopping the fuel flow.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the fast reply.

Wow, we thought about that but without a high pressure pump that would be hard to start. Looks like we'll have to figure a priming pump or bubble.

Bill.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Air shutoff works fine too, if rigging a fuel cutoff is impractical. Just a flapper over the intake will kill it. Could be manual, cable, or solenoid operated.

Edit - the shutdown solenoid is probably part of the engine, all you will need is a switch. The solenoid will either stop off fuel to the high pressure plunger or will move the fuel rack to zero fuel. It will not cause the engine to lose prime.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:51 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most older diesel tractors have a cable that butterflies the intake closed. I would say stop the air supply, the fuel cut off could cause problems down the road.
JMO
Old 07-10-2005, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the info, didn't think about the air supply.

MODS, I ment to post this in the general diesel fourm... oops
Old 07-10-2005, 09:36 PM

Re: What shuts off a diesel engine?

Originally posted by 2500Ram
Like the subject reads. I was just up visiting my folkes this weekend and my dad has 3, 17hp diesel engines he's converting for generators. He will give me one if he can figure out how to shut them off. These engines were stripped from commercial floor buffing equipment. 2 new one used.
How did the floor buffer workers shut them down? Who manufactured the engines? - Send them an email. Might be an answer in there for you.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:12 PM

Re: Re: What shuts off a diesel engine?

Originally posted by bulabula
How did the floor buffer workers shut them down? Who manufactured the engines? - Send them an email. Might be an answer in there for you.
That would be a good idea but the manufactures went out of business hense the deal on the engines. If we could only see a working buffer we'd be set but they are mainly used in airports and shopping malls used after hours due to the smell and noise of the engines.

Bill.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A customer of ours that's in your town is a dealer and services propane powered floor buffers. The name of the company is Easy Buff. They may know something about the machines that your engines came from. Their phone # is (719) 522-0207.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by fschiola
A customer of ours that's in your town is a dealer and services propane powered floor buffers. The name of the company is Easy Buff. They may know something about the machines that your engines came from. Their phone # is (719) 522-0207.
Thanks for the info!!! we actually got them in Denver but who knows.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:54 PM

best guess is look at the injection pump, I dont even knwo what were looking at here but most of them have a shut off on them. Which is how they shut off. The silinoid could be gone, Just take a look at the lever/plunger in on it. Then you should figure it out.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:37 AM

I remember reading a post here months ago about someones CTD not shutting down with the key. Could you actually shut one down by taking the air hose off the turbo and say put a metal plate over the turbo to block the air intake?....just curious.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:56 AM

(Referring to Kubota's from memory, so your mileage may vary)
Bill; Many of the small 2cyl+ diesels have a speed control lever with two high and low rpm limit-stop screws, a separate fuel shutoff lever arm AND a small cover plate on the rear of the Inj Pump/Governor assy where an optional 12v fuel cutoff solenoid can be fitted.. Like WANNADIESEL said, your engines MAY already have one of these attached. If so, they can sometimes be seen as a short squatty cylinder about the size of a fat pillbottle with 2 or 3 wires coming out.

If these little engines in their previous life had electric start, they almost certainly had a way to shut them down just as easily.
Take a good look at the inj pump and governor and see if it may actually have a SD solenoid already there.. If it does, you are in luck!

By the way, what brand and model engine? How many cyls?

Keith
Old 07-11-2005, 12:43 PM

Bill, here is a link to a fuel S/D solenoid for a 4banger Kubota
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Notice how small it is in relation to the 3 terminal connector!

K.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Many of the smaller low hp diesel engines just shut off with the throttle. There is a detent at idle, pulling the throttle back below this kills it.

Quick Reply: What shuts off a diesel engine?