HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical help

I need some help in locating the bell inside the cab that tells you when you leave lights on and so fourth. I have one that wants to ring all the time for no known reason. I recently just replaced a bad turn signal and the bell just seems to ring when it feels lie it needs to which is most of the time.
I would like to remove from service. Who in the world knows where it is located? 2003 Ram 3500 4x4 dually w/ Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel. Thanks!!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to DTR

I would like to find mine also. The noisey little sucker has been bothering me for 8 years.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by buckaroo98
I need some help in locating the bell inside the cab that tells you when you leave lights on and so fourth. I have one that wants to ring all the time for no known reason. I recently just replaced a bad turn signal and the bell just seems to ring when it feels lie it needs to which is most of the time.
I would like to remove from service. Who in the world knows where it is located? 2003 Ram 3500 4x4 dually w/ Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel. Thanks!!!!!

I can't promise this will help, but it's all I've got so I'll toss it out there...

I used to have an '02 1500, so the same body style as yours...I still have the FSM, and looked up the Chime/Buzzer...here's what it said:

DESCRIPTION
The chime module is located within the instrument cluster and is not serviceable. The chime system provides the driver with warning chimes for:
  • Air Bag
  • Seat Belt
  • Low Fuel
  • Door Ajar
  • Low Wash
  • Park Break
  • Over Speed
  • Turn Signal On
  • Key-In Ignition
  • Exterior Lamps ON
  • Warning Lamp Announcement
  • Transmission Over Temperature

yours may or may not be set up the same...

Greg
Old 04-29-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I would think that on any 98 or newer truck, the chime is part of the Central Timer Module (body controller) or cluster, and cannot be simply unplugged like the old style chime modules.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by torquefan
I would think that on any 98 or newer truck, the chime is part of the Central Timer Module (body controller) or cluster, and cannot be simply unplugged like the old style chime modules.

I would also think it wouldn't fall under the "Emergency" category...

Greg
Old 04-30-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the site.

You can't disable the noise-maker.

But, do a search for "lamp out" and you'll find a BUNCH of threads about rear turn signals causing intermittent lamp-out lights and/or chimes. In some cases owners had to replace the entire circuit board in the tail light due to burning/melting. Most of the time the bulbs are found to be good but there is just enough of a bad connection to cause the lamp out indicator to trigger.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:08 PM

actually you can disable all or certain parts of the chimer noise maker. Do a few searchs on this site. 'warning chimes', 'intermittent wiper' and 'chimer'. These will tell you a few things you can do. On the 01, all chimes come out of the little black plastic box under the dash between the gas pedal and the ashtray. Some people go so far as to pull the round black speaker off the board. I ended up only turning off the key in switch chime by unplugging the wire at the ignition key.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

i stuck a screw driver into the chimmer until it shut up, it was either that or beat my truck with a 20lb sledge hammer....