HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

drivetrain "locking" up

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drivetrain "locking" up

I will try to explain this as best as I can. The other day I put the truck in reverse and it went a couple of feet and stopped like I ran into a tree or something. I was not going but idle speed or slower. I put it in 1st and it did not budge. I put it in neutral and let out on the clutch and it started to inch forward like I was starting off in 3rd or 4th gear! I went a few feet like this (to get out of the middle of the street) and obviously began to smell clutch. The trans did not want to go into gear. I then put the t-case in neutral and shifted the trans 1-6 and reverse flawlessly. Put t-case in 2wd and drove like nothing had ever happened.
Yesterday I was backing up and it happened again only it did not stop completely just jerked a little.

T-case fluid level is good. I was going to check/change the trans fluid today. Front driveshaft is disconnected at the moment.

What could be going on??? I am thinking it has to either be in the t-case, trans, or rear diff (b/c there is nothing else there) but havent figured out how to narrow it down.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check your rear drums for an oil leak (think '00 has drums)
I had much the same problem when my seal started leaking, brake shoe stuck to the drum and it left a 30 foot skid mark until I was able to pull over and put it in reverse to unlock the shoe.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 PM

Mine mostly does it when I back up. It also does it if I hold the brakes down when I come to a stop and let the truck rock back so what you are saying, infidel, makes sense.

Could that be the brakes automatically fully engaging or sticking for some reason (like if there is something broken in the assembly)?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM

Just wondering why you guys are thinking breaks since he said it inched forward when trans was in neutral. also was this trans swapped for a six speed because the six speeds didn't come from the factory until the end of 01 and only with the h.o. option. Were there any noises grinding or anything of that nature? I'm thinking you have an issue with the shift forks or rails in your transmission allowing it to slip into 2 gears at once causeing lockup and also explains why it would creep in neutral. becasue then it would be in 1 gear.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:00 AM

It is factory 6spd. It was a cab & chassis from the dealer.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:08 AM

I originally thought it was the tcase or trans acting up but dont know why it would. I also thought about the brakes. When the possibility of the brakes being the cause was brought up I started thinking that maybe the brakes were not allowing the drive line to move the least little bit, which might keep the trans stuff from lining up properly.

The clutch reservoir was about a 1/2" or so low.

I DO NOT abuse the truck. It pulls about 2 to 6K trailer every day and has less than 80K miles on it.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:03 PM

I'm still thinking you have a shift fork issue in the transmission. because you say it creeps in neutral like its in a gear. i would pull the shifter off the top of the trans and look in to inspect the rails there might be a broken roll pin or something that keeps the shift forks in place on the rail. thats just my 2 cents though
Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 AM

Would there be any chance that old/dirty fluid could cause this? I bought the truck in May. The seller told me that some of the fluids had been changed and I honestly cant remember which ones had and had not been changed. I have changed everything but the trans.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by cnhdoc
I'm still thinking you have a shift fork issue in the transmission. because you say it creeps in neutral like its in a gear. i would pull the shifter off the top of the trans and look in to inspect the rails there might be a broken roll pin or something that keeps the shift forks in place on the rail. thats just my 2 cents though
How difficult is it to see what you are talking about with the rails/roll pin? Once I pull the shifter will it be pretty obvious if something is broken?

The truck seems to ONLY do it when I put it in Reverse. Then it sticks and when I put the tcase in neutral everything will shift fine.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 AM

You Might have something bent or broken that only gets caught up in the gears when you put it in reverse. Me personally, I dont know much about the internal workings of the manual tranny. I would call one of the tranny rebuilders that the guys talk about on this site, and ask and describe your problem. I am sure they will help you, most of them I hear are very hepful.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dangousity
You Might have something bent or broken that only gets caught up in the gears when you put it in reverse. Me personally, I dont know much about the internal workings of the manual tranny. I would call one of the tranny rebuilders that the guys talk about on this site, and ask and describe your problem. I am sure they will help you, most of them I hear are very hepful.
Do you know who any of them are off hand? I need to get this figured out ASAP.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by cnhdoc
I pulled the shifter and looked down in there with a flash light. You can't see much of anything through the opening. I could see some of the gears and such but did not see anything broken. I honestly could not see in there good enough to justify anything though.

Would I be able to examine it better through the PTO openings?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:12 AM

If you remove the PTO cover, your fluid will come out, so be prepared for a fluid change. You wont see much, thru there, maybe if some thing is really broken, it will be laying in the bottom there.

I would have thought breaks also, Ive had this happen on an old International loadstar. Truck wouldn't budge, had to lift rear end with loader and push in to shop.
But with it moving in Neutral, I thinking clutch and or trans problems. Not very specific, but its a place to start.
But check the brakes, that be pretty easy to start there and say yes or no.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Pulled the wheels off and the driver side brake assembly was caked with gunk. Apparently the seal is leaking and it hasnt made it out of there yet where I could see it. I am going to replace the seal and clean everything up. Oh yeah, there was a broken spring just laying in there....as well as the parking brake cable end. Parking brake cables were broken on both driver and passenger sides. The Haynes manual doesn't have my brake assembly in it so I am going to try to find an exploded view online.

I did figure out that I can pretty much make the truck "lock up." If I hit the brakes hard and let the truck rock back after the complete stop it will do it nearly every time. Maybe the brakes locking up are not allowing the drivetrain to move enough to line everything up with the trans.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:21 PM

You have found your problem! Make sure to check your diff. breather while you are under it. If its plugged it will blow out seals.

Quick Reply: drivetrain "locking" up