HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Is this dead pedal? Do I need a new IP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is this dead pedal? Do I need a new IP? - UPDATE!

I have recently had my LP changed under warranty after I installed a low fuel pressure warning light - and it was on all the time. I had about 4psi at idle, 2psi as soon as I touched the throttle. Do not know how long it ran that way - just got the truck before that. Dealer installed new in tank LP, and I installed scotty fuel line kit and gauges. No fuel pressure problems since. Truck has just over 50,000 miles on it now.

Now, here is the problem. I was towing my RV this weekend (about 9000#), and when I was accelerating up to speed after slowing for a corner, the thing "cut out" for a second. It surprised me, so I let off the throttle, then stepped on it again (a little easier on it this time), and it didn't cut out again, got up to speed. Then I started thinking about reading posts here about "DEAD PEDAL" and thought I better check again since the truck is still under warranty (engine is). I slowed to 30 mph, then stepped on it again, about 75% throttle, it got to about 2400-2500RPM and cut out again for a half a second and kinda stumbled. I let off, then got back into it, and it was fine. Only seems to do it when pulling a load, and only then when I am gettin on it to get back up to speed. Once it is rolling, it runs just fine. Has only happened 3 or 4 times, but all when pulling. I have a Superchips programmer set on low (Tow safe), and a few other minor mods in sig, but I don't think they are causing the problem. Weather was hot, and A/C was on max at the time too. Engine temp was fine, as was EGT. LP Fuel pressure was fine when this happened.

I'm thinking the length of time (who knows) that it ran with very low FP may have damaged the VP44???

Am I describing DEAD PEDAL? Does this sound like a VP44 problem? Truck is going in on Tuesday, and I have not checked for codes with the Superchips programmer yet, but I will, then I will report back. I should be looking for P0216 right?

PLEASE HELP!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:56 PM
RCW

Your description fits the symptoms of a failing VP44. The issue with the VP is that it totally relies on fuel for lubrication and cooling. If the fuel pressure gets the least bit low and the truck is run that way, damage to the injection pump occurs. The warmer the weather, the more the VP will stumble, until it just quits.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Exclamation Yup, Got The Ip Death Code

Codes present - 1
Code - P0216

Hopefully, dealer won't hassle me about the gauges etc.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:28 PM

Update - Conspiracy? :)

OK, so I program the truck back to stock with the SC tuner, and make an appt at the dealer.

Just to refresh you, the truck stumbled at high load (accelerating up to speed with 9100# trailer in tow, in hot weather (85*+), with A/C on). Checked codes with SC tuner - P0216 present. When the Sc tuner asked if I wamted to clear the code, I pushed NO, and went on to reprogram back to stock.

They have it all day, then tell me there's nothing wrong with it. Only code present was a code for "companion module fault" whatever that is. When I scanned it with the Superchips, I got P0216. ****!

So, I think to myself, I bet reprogramming back to stock with the SC tuner erased the P0216 code as it reflashes the ECM. I then hooked it back up to the trailer, and went for a drive, trying to recreate the stumble, and thereby set the code again. That way, I could take it back to the dealer and they would see the P0216 code, and with me describing the stumble at high load, they'd replace the VP44. No such luck. In stock form, the truck wouldn't stumble no matter what I did. I pushed it hard, fan clutch was cutting in, engine was hot, but nothing, no stumble, no codes (I assume no codes as there was no stumble).

So, then I begin to think, maybe it's the SC tuner causing the stumble and accompanying code. I recall the Hypertech ad where the test truck they used in their comparo was a 2002/2500/auto same as mine in every way, and pulling the 9418# trailer (My RV trailer weighs about 8500-9000# - I have weighed it more than once) down the 1/4 mile, that truck also set a P0216 with the SC tuner "tow safe" program in it. Maybe it's not the truck but the tuner?

I ordered an Edge EZ, and I'm going to try that. That way, if it sets the code, I don't have to reflash and thereby lose the code, I can just unhook the EZ, and take it in. The EZ didn't cause Hypertech's test truck to set the code like the SC did....maybe a big conspiracy theory, but who knows. AMybe it's something in the programming that SC uses in their 3705 units that causes a P0216 in some trucks?

Ideas? Opinions? J-Body, or other techs, can you help?