HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

dead battery(ies)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy dead battery(ies)

My trusty Dodge Ram will not start this morning - seems that one of the batteries is dead, but I'm not sure which one or both are dead. No visual indications - all the connections look ok. There was no indication or warning indicators prior to just not cranking this morning - albeit, Summer heat is upon us. Noticed that each of two batteries say "maintenance free", but can it be that one of the batteries just needs water? I'm also not sure which battery or is it both to be dead - which one? If it is just one of the two batteries needs to be replace (year 2001, about 50K miles), is it something I can do - or is there more to just swapping out a battery that I need to know? Could sure use some advice
Old 07-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are at the point to change batteries, change both at the same time.

With the batteries linked together, if you put in only one fresh one the new battery will be degraded or brought down to the condition of the oldest battery. Or at least close to it. Basically the old battery trys to use the new battery to reach a full charge.

Change both batteries out with good heavyduty batteries and be worry free for another 5 years. Also check the connections and make sure they are fresh and tight. Using some battery post protectant or coating also helps to keep corrosion to a minimum.

I hope this helps..
Old 07-05-2004, 01:06 PM

ouch , on the pocketbook having to replace two batteries - can please recommend a battery manufacturer - cost each?

thx Lil Dog - helps somewhat in that if I'm understanding you correctly, the batteries are connected in parallel? I'm also wondering if I can pop open the battery caps - looks like the cap protectors come off, but say "maintenance free"? The batteries are about 4 years old - reached typical useful life?

appreciate your help and anyone else.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:18 PM

I am using Exide gel batt in all my equip. About the same as optima but exides will come back after complete tear down and optimas wo'nt. Around $120 ea.
Clark
Old 07-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dodgerdog
ouch , on the pocketbook having to replace two batteries - can please recommend a battery manufacturer - cost each?

thx Lil Dog - helps somewhat in that if I'm understanding you correctly, the batteries are connected in parallel? I'm also wondering if I can pop open the battery caps - looks like the cap protectors come off, but say "maintenance free"? The batteries are about 4 years old - reached typical useful life?

appreciate your help and anyone else.
Yes, they are connected in parallel, supplying 12 volts, lots of amps.
If connected in series, it would be a 24 volt system, not a lot of amps.

All my previous vehicles have had the battery last right around 6 years.
These vehicles require a lot more cranking amps to turn the engine over and run the grid heaters,
so 4 years is probably pretty good usefull life.

Any battery brand will work, go with what you are comfortable with, and can afford,
just remember you get what you pay for.
Just make sure they are at least the same Cold Cranking Amps as the originals.

phox
Old 07-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might be able to pop the caps, but adding fluid may not help the cause. Typically the plates start to break down and settle at the bottom of the battery. Also with the vibration of the diesel, the plates may start to vibrate as they get thinner and start to touch each other. Every time a plate breaks or touches another plate you loose your amperage capability. You may very well have lots of fluid.

Like the others said, good quality batteries are spendy, but won't leave you stranded. The CTD can't get away with cheaply built batteries.

J-eh
Old 07-05-2004, 05:30 PM

Thank you all for your advice - I now realize need to replace both batteries - something I'll be having done this evening at best. cheers