HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Dead 2004 Dodge 5.9 Dually

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead 2004 Dodge 5.9 Dually

I have a 2004 Dually highly modified, twins, twin injection pumps, injectors, cam, springs, water/meth, etc. It has been sitting for a year plus since I have been deployed. The last work that was done was a fuel pump (Air Dog) to replace a shot FASS unit that resulted in a head gasket and two injectors going bad on the trip from NC to Kansas. I just got home from deployment the other day and tried to fire up the dually. It fired right up with a jump and ran great and I was hoping that the batteries would take the charge after running awhile and they did not. The last time it ran and then shut down. I replaced the batteries today hoping she would fire right up and I get nothing, it turns over but wont fire, I am thinking fuel, since I cannot hear the pump come on. I checked all fuses in the fuse box under the hood, Can anyone give me any tips on what I can check to get the fuel pump going? It has about a few hundred miles on it since it was installed and is a little over a year old but the other day I heard it come on, today I do not hear it turn on or pump. I would like to be able to fix this myself as I cannot stand paying for another tow and repair bill on this thing. I know, I know...play and you gotta pay, I got it, but I really think I should be able to fix this myself. It is in Kansas right now and it has been crazy cold here and I have checked the water/fuel seperator and the fuel filter and they are both getting fuel but it is pretty thick. Can anyone tell me how to troubleshoot the Airdog fuses or power, or how is it wired to the truck into the fuses or what fuse/breaker do I check? Do the Air Dogs just up and quit even after only being on there for a few hundred miles? Thanks foir any help.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by huntr
It has been sitting for a year plus . . .
Did it have a nice tank of summer fuel in it when you left?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like your fuel is gelled. I'm not too terribly sure since you are in ks, and it's not THAT cold there. (?)

Pull the plug at the pump and make sure you have 12v. There should be a fuse-able link by the battery on the wiring harness.

Try pouring some 911 in, and some #1 diesel, top the tank off. Change fuel filters.

Let us know if you have power to the AD. Regardless of the fuel gelling or not, you should hear it kick on. Pureflow has some pretty good customer service, call them, they'll help you.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:04 AM

We have traced it down to either a bad fuse box or a bad PCM. I was impatient the other day and instead of putting in good batteries FIRST, I was using my other truck and a jump box to jump it and that is when it just cut off. The fuel pump is not getting any power and that gets power from the PCM. I towed it to a shop and they are tracing down exactly what is causing the issue.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:44 PM

Fuse box under the hood replaced but it still has "no bus". SMARTY screen says "no connection". If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to be on the road with this as soon as possible.