HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

ctd hard to start

Old 06-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ctd hard to start

hello all new here and want to give thanks for an informative site.
the other day i leave work, it fires up as always. the next mornin it wont crank like usual it took 3 5-10 second attempts to get it running and when it did bust off allittle white smoke poofed out. i figured its the IP but did the key trick, put a cheap code reader on it, and had a very expensive reader try it to which there where no codes for anything. iv searched and read countless other topics on this and have not figured it out yet. since that morning it has been hard to start hot or cold but otherwise runs the same, it just wont crank right. any suggestions, its all stock other than a comp box. i still think its the IP but if you guys got any ideas i love savin money.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 AM

First fill our your signature above in the user cp. This will help the diagnosis.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:02 PM

filled it out after posting forgot to add i recently installed new lift pump and tests 14 psi at the IP.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 PM

I had a buddy of mine that was havin the same issue awhile back but they replaced the lift pump and that was it
Old 06-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Good for the lift pump...hope you have a permanent gage.
Have you changed the fuel filter recently?? I may need changing or the gasket is leaking slightly.
Assuming from here you have at least 1/4 tank of fuel.
So did the hard start come before or after the lift pump install.?? Either way I'd be suspicious of the rubber seals on the fittings. The slightest air leak will cause hard starting. I think you'll find a lot of IP failures right after LP installs or filter installs. Air gets into the system and weak IP can't pull enough fuel to displace all of the air making hard starts.

Next probably unhook the Edge. Unusual but they have been known to cause problems.
Have you had "dead pedal??" Loss of power even slightly.?? More noticable under load.
How does it crank when it does?? Normal fast or more slowly?? A bad starter can take an enormous amount of current causing a low voltage and the computer will not allow a start.

Make sure all the fuses are good, good grounds, how's the air cleaner??

There's other easy stuff some of the other guys can come back with. Do all this first. You might get lucky.

Sounds like another VP-44 funeral.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:45 PM

replace fuel filter same time as lift pump less than 4 months ago. After new filter i noticed a small leak which was from filter cap, but at that time it cranked fine. This all started bout a week ago. Have not tried unhooking the chip yet. Its guttless without the chip but have not noticed any power loss. Also i can run it for any lenth of time, kill it, then try to start and its still hard to start.

Anybody have a hot rod pump from industial injector. If so whats the pros and cons, how does it affect milage, anything else required to go on with it.