HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Cooling problems??? additional problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooling problems??? additional problems

95 Dodge with a one day old radiator...even with the new radiator that was in horrible shape and was leaking... I still have the temp gauge kicking off at least three times per mile.... seems too much....
Old 07-02-2006, 12:23 PM
RCW

Your post is a bit disconnected. Are you concerned that your new radiator is leaking, or that you temperature gauge is erratic and possibly reading hot then dropping right back down?

The temperature gauges on Dodges are notorious for being erratic. The most common cause is crud or corrosion on the sensor terminal. Then the next most common cause is a defective sensor. After that comes a host of ground related issues, and these generally pertain to rust or corrosion on the ground strap connectors.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:28 PM

Where is the sensor?

Originally Posted by RCW
Your post is a bit disconnected. Are you concerned that your new radiator is leaking, or that you temperature gauge is erratic and possibly reading hot then dropping right back down?

The temperature gauges on Dodges are notorious for being erratic. The most common cause is crud or corrosion on the sensor terminal. Then the next most common cause is a defective sensor. After that comes a host of ground related issues, and these generally pertain to rust or corrosion on the ground strap connectors.
ANOTHER QUESTION::::

Well I have not seen a leak for the first 200 miles with the new radiator... I did just notice that after a short 200 mile trip that my overflow tank for the radiator dropped considerably... it was just above the full when it was picked up Friday and now it is just under add... it's going to have to go back into the shop for the thermostat very shortly if the antifreeze keeps mysteriously dissappearing... after reading all the helpful advise... I see that I could be in over my head with regards to corrosion issues.... the radiator was seriously rotted out so maybe I have other rotted out partss...I changed out the intake and exhaust last year and I'm trying to get my $$$$$ out of that before I sell it.... Does anyone have a themostat that when uphilling creeps up to 210-220.... I have never "overheated." or at least I don't think 210 is overheating... but I did have to back off the pedal to ensure I wouldn't overheat and then the temp drops immediately after I start the downhill or let off the gas on the uphill..... and again... I never noticed the erratic temp gauge until started paying attention to it.....maybe it's been doing this all along....