HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

A/C Quit Working

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Quit Working

Need some help! Didn't know if anyone had this problem or not. Turned on the A/C the other day and nothing happened. By nothing happened, I mean no cold air. Seems like it just the fan is on. Strange, only have 25K miles on this thing. Thoughts???

Edit: The heat works, the non-A/C air works, when I turn on the A/C I can hear the compressor (think it is the compressor) cycle (that is, can hear it cut on and off as if the A/C was on). No fuses are blown. A/C will also not work when the Defrost is on.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How often does the compressor cycle? Look at the clutch while the engine is running to see if it is engaging for sure.
If it is cycling often, less than about 30 seconds on, then off, you are low on R134, and need to add some.

Chris
Old 05-25-2004, 11:09 AM

With only 25K miles, it sounds like time for a visit to your favorite dealer. Tell them that your system is low and that they should find source of leak and repair it. They can put flourescent dye in system and check with a UV light and pinpoint leak almost immediately.

Just my $.02 worth,

Good luck....

Gary
Old 05-25-2004, 01:37 PM

Thanks guys. Taking it to the dealer is not an option. As soon as I walk in there, they'll probably call the police. Let's just say my truck is freakin' Lemon and Dodge really doesn't give a crap. I've had problem after problem and they use the "the truck has an aftermarket exhaust and fueling computer, thus the warranty is voided". I'll try putting some more refrigerant in there and see if anything happens.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:02 PM

Well, go to Wally World and they sell 134a refrigerant with dye in it as well as a UV light and UV safety glasses. Put 2 cans in and check around the hose connections at the condenser, compressor, evaporator, as well as where the clutch and compressor units are mated together. You might even do a quick look at the condenser coil in case you picked up a piece of road debris in the coil. You should be able to locate the problem yourself and then take to a reputable auto mechanic that does A/C work (if you do not feel up to the challenge yourself)... About the only specialty tool I can think you need will be a vacuum pump to pull the system down after you replace the offending part. When you recharge, I think there is a label that indicates how many ounces of refrigerant the system holds under a full charge. Just load the equivalent of 12 ounce cans.

Good luck....

Gary
Old 05-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Banned

I had my compressor go out on my truck at 36,100 miles. Of course the dealership made me pay the $50 to get it fixed under warranty. Didn't mind to much considering the total repair bill was over $900. Your probably just low on refrigerant. If the dealer won't fix the A/C under warranty, remind them of the Magnunson-Moss Act. If that doesn't work, tell them they'll be hearing from your lawyer. They can't void your enitre warranty on the fueling box and exhaust. Neither of those two items has anything to do with the A/C. They can only void your drivetrain and engine warranty. Everything else they must fix. I'm getting tired of hearing about dealers screwing customers like this. This kind of stuff is what makes me hesitant to buy a new vehicle or even go to a dealership. Not a real good impression you want to leave on a potential customer (I'm only 18 and I fully intend on buying several more vehicles before I die).
Old 05-25-2004, 09:23 PM

Well, I got one of those A/C kits that checks the pressure and add refrigerant with. I checked the pressure with the truck off and it was about 60ish. When I started the truck and ran the A/C wide open when the A/C cycled it would go up close to 60ish, then drop down to 10ish, then back up...then back down, etc. etc. etc. Complete cycle is about 15 seconds or so.

How do you determine if the "clutch" is engaging? Not familiar with this....
Old 05-26-2004, 02:15 AM
Banned

You should hear the pitch of the engine change when the compressor kicks on.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by j28s
How do you determine if the "clutch" is engaging? Not familiar with this....
When the compressor spins when the engine is running.

Since your not sure how to tell if the clutch is engaging, why don't you just take it to an independent service mechanic and let someone who knows what they're doing hook it up to some gauges and see whats really happening; and save you the time/effort/hassle of easter-egging the cause of the problem via the internet.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:31 AM

If you are getting 60 psi and your compressor is cycling every 15 seconds or so, you are about a pound low on refrigerant. With windows down and a/c on iceberg, the compressor sould not cycle off at all. Add some 134a and you will be back in business. You should see low side pressures in the mid to lower 40 psi range when fully charged.

Clutch can be observe engaging by looking at front of compressor. If the entire front is stationary the compressor is disengaged. If it is rotating then it is engaged.

Remember when you add refrigerant to keep top of can pointed UP so that all you are putting in is gas. If you invert the can you will be putting in liquid which the compressors valves really do not like to see.

Gary
Old 05-26-2004, 01:34 PM

scuzman00 - that's exactly what I needed to know. Put some juice in it and now I can't even hear it cycle and the air is ice cold.

Also, many thanks to everyone that chimed in to give me some help. Sometimes some people just needs a little help with something they haven't messed with before.

Thanks again!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 03:02 PM
Banned

That's what we're here for. Glad you got it fixed.