HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Broke down near Raton, NM

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke down near Raton, NM

Hey guys, my brother lost an injector line and maybe an injector near Raton New Mexico. 94 first gen with near stock parts. Any idea where he might find parts or a good shop? He's about 27 miles east of Raton near Capulin Volcano.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might try Summerlan RV park in Raton, I know they claim to have a diesel shop but don't know about the work they do.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Thanks kthiemann!!

Now...the rest of the story... Strong smell of diesel and white smoke coming out behind the truck and trailer was the only clue. Still running great they decided to pull over check under the hood. Diesel was sprayed everywhere and on the exhaust manifold making smoke. #3 injector came loose, rocking in it's bore until the return line broke right at the banjo bolt. It was late in the day so overnight in Capulin while searching for parts. Next day after tightening the injector and no luck on local source of parts, they tie wired the broke end of the return line back to the banjo bolt and wrapped with tape. They macgyvered a spray deflector out of an aluminum can to keep what diesel that was still leaking off the exhaust manifold and run it down the side of the block. Fired up the truck, still running great, headed east for 600 miles home, no problem. Used maybe an extra 5 gal fuel to leakage.

Story told to me paints the folks of Capulin as some of the most helpful, friendly, good hearted anywhere. Local store owners went out of their way to help make contacts, RV park owners set up a cabin and towed truck and trailer to convenient spot to work on it. The town post master also happens to maintain the city equipment so he has a fair amount of experience with cummins.

Nothing like a little breakdown to make a routine trip an adventure! Many thanks to the good folks in Capulin for all the help and for saving me a rescue trip to New Mexico!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 PM

Yep, what Lit'l Bro said. McGyvered the broke manifold fuel line together and drove the rig home. $98 later all's well. We could not have broken down is a better spot. Great folks in Capulin NM, especially the antique shopowner and the RV park owners. Best folks I could ever hope to meet on the road. I suggest if you're ever 26 miles east of Raton, NM take time to visit Capulin, NM.