HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Brake scratching sound!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake scratching sound!

i just got new disks on both front and a new caliper on the right front and new pads all the way around but the front left is now sounds like it is rubbing on something. it isnt constantly hitting but everytime the wheel makes a turn it rubs and has a scratching sound. what could this be?? the parts are new and it was installed by a pretty good guy in my town...
Old 11-16-2007, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the back side of the disk there is a "shield" that deflects air toward the disk. For the life of me, I can remember what it's called...maybe "dust shield". It's about the same size as the disk or slightly larger and made from thin metal. It's held in place by being sandwiched between the hub and steering knuckle. Sometimes as they rot with age, bits of rusted metal fall in between the disk and this shield. Sometimes, when installing new disks or even just brakes, they get bumped and bent in slightly. Just pull the wheel off and give it a slight bend back away from the disk the whole way around. As you bend it, spin the hub and listen for the rub. It may look like it's not touching(they sit parallel with the disk surface), but, it's a good place to start since they sit close. While you have the front of the truck jacked up, and with the wheel back on, see if you can get movement from the wheel by pushing it from side to side and from top to bottom back and forth. Your looking for either a bad wheel bearing or possibly a ball joint that's allowing movement causing "flex" in the assembly.