HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Blue Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Smoke

Just drove the passes on I-70 from Colorado Spriings to Vail, and Back. Notice when going down those steep grades +6% that I have blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. But as soon as I head up the grade again it stops. Any Ideas<br><br>One good thing is that I dont have to worry about tail gaters on the way down.<br><br>Thanks Trickytrae
Old 03-02-2003, 02:51 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Re:Blue Smoke

Did you look at the oil consumption ?<br><br>I think this behavioour could be caused by: Turbo seal on compressor side,turbo seal on exhaust side, valve guide seals, head gasket, engine oil overfill. <br><br>To check the turbo seal just take off the intercooler line and see if there is oil.<br>Check as soon as possible, because if there is enough engine oil blown into the intake you risk a runaway engine.<br>Exhaust side is a bit trickier. Usually you would have to either disassemble the turbo, or get some oil pressure source to feed it with the engine at standstill. <br>Another possibility that is not oil related would be a bad injector, that does not evaporate the fuel sufficiently under low pressure. This shouldn't be a massive blue cloud then.<br><br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM<br>
Old 03-02-2003, 04:29 PM

There is know oil consumption at all.

I thought I might be having an injector loading up. If that could happen. or some pump seals going bad and when going down a step grade, the seals cant hold the pressure.

Thanks

Old 03-02-2003, 10:57 PM

When you are going down I am guessing that you are not on the &quot;go&quot; peddle. If so, then you are compression braking and the blue smoke is a sign of bad valve guide seals and or valve guides. You do not have blue smoke at any other time? How many miles?<br>John
Old 03-03-2003, 03:57 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Well if there is no oil consumption at all I'd suggest to run an oil analysis.<br>I think there may be an internal leak in the injection pump. This can lead to oil being pushed into the diesel in low pressure situations, and diesel being pushed into the oil in high pressure situations. Any engine uses up oil, especially if it is older. If the level really stays the same it must be replenished by something. Usually it's fuel. <br>If you have a bad injector ( worn out tip, sticking pin etc) the amount of blue smoke would not be too great because while coasting the rack is almost closed. So in this situation there is not much fuel to cause the smoke. <br>The pressures are almost the same when idling. As I read it you do not have blue smoke at idle, and you didn't complain about a very rough idle at all. <br><br>Just my 2c<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 03-03-2003, 05:59 AM
Chapter President

White smoke=cold engine or low compression<br>Black smoke= unburnt fuel or over-fueling<br>Blue smoke=oil burning<br>Brown smoke=fuel problems contaminated fuel
Old 03-03-2003, 06:01 AM
Chapter President

White smoke=cold engine or low compression<br>Black smoke= unburnt fuel or over-fueling<br>Blue smoke=oil burning<br>Brown smoke=fuel problems contaminated fuel<br><br>These are the normal smoke colors and reasons