HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Air in fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air in fuel lines

I replaced the rubber fuel lines on my 94 last week. I made new rubber lines and eliminated the braded lines with the quick connects. If I was to put a clear filter at the joint of the rubber hose and steel lines would it tell me if I am sucking air from the tank side of the lines?
Old 10-02-2006, 06:40 PM

I would think that you could see the bubbles if there was air going through there...but I don't know for sure,one vote yea on the theory
Old 10-02-2006, 08:00 PM

Hey west coast, if you have any extra fuel line, I wonder if you could drop it into a 5 gallon can straight from the pump? That would be a good way to see if you are having problems from the steel lines from the tank. I'm not sure if that would work or not but it might be worth a shot.

By the way, is your truck still rough @ idle?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:35 PM

extra line

Wilderness that is a good idea. And sounds better than dropping the tank to find no problems......

Truck is still rough at idle..... take a listen.... http://www.proworkz.com/dodge.wmv

Dave
Old 10-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by West Coast
Wilderness that is a good idea. And sounds better than dropping the tank to find no problems......

Truck is still rough at idle..... take a listen.... http://www.proworkz.com/dodge.wmv

Dave
What RPM is that or can you even consider that RPM's. Have you tried raising the idle?

I was thinking about the gas can thing and I thought you might want to use a seperate clear container and drop your return line in that to see if your overflow is right. I know you replaced the overflow valve already, but it might be a good way to check that as well. Let me know haw it works.

And by the way most of the clear filters I've seen have an air pockett in them which would make it hard to tell if your lines are sucking air.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:02 AM

lines

Chad I tried the fuel can trick and it did not change anything. I am at my wits end with this problem. I had a bad idle and rough running condition before injectors, overflow valve and lift pump. So it must be in my injection pump....?!?!?

Dave
Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by West Coast
Chad I tried the fuel can trick and it did not change anything. I am at my wits end with this problem. I had a bad idle and rough running condition before injectors, overflow valve and lift pump. So it must be in my injection pump....?!?!?

Dave
Did it run with the can though? I know you have almost replaced every thing under the hood but did you actually have the timing checked? I know that cummins service tech told you he did'nt think it was the timing but did he actually check it? Did you ever hook up a fuel pressure guage? My truck idles wierd too some times but not as bad as yours. If my egt's stay up to high to long my idle is rough, but I have stock exhaust with a cat so I think that is my prob. Have you ever had the valves adjusted? Not sure if a weak valve would cause rough idle but that is about all that's left to check. Keep us posted. It will be nice to see that post when you get it running right and you finally figure out the prob.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:41 PM

Timing

Timing is the issue. But now I might have another issue. Rear pump bolts where loose. And the locking nut/washer on the pump shaft had another issue. The lock washer was missing and the nut was very loose. So I am having the IP checked and if all is good I will have it put back in and timed at 15.5

Regardless of the outcome. Old IP reinstalled or new IP, my truck will finally be running great...!!!!!

Dave