HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

97 Dodge Diesel Stalling, help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Dodge Diesel Stalling, help!

I have a 97 Dodge Diesel with 56K on the clock. I bought it new and has been troble free since day one. However in the last few weeks I have had a problem with stalling. This occurs at after the engine has been running for some time or after hauling my horse trailer down the road. Always when I come to a stop (at a light) or if I place it in reverse. It almost seems like the idle is too low?
I also have noticed a black smoke at cold start up.
I have done all the sevice intervals including filters. The last time I went to the dealer I asked for a valve adjustent but they told me not to worry about it . I had thought these shoud be done every 25K but they said 35-50K. I had the last one done at 26K
What is the interval, could this be the issue, IP pump issue, other?
Any help would be appreciated. I am due to go to the dealer and would like to talk intelegently to them.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2004, 09:25 AM

My 97 had the same problem the fix was to turn up the idle a bit and its been fine ever since.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stalling

If you suspect the idle is too low (less than 800 RPM), you can adjust it yourself. The adjustment is located at the back of the injection pump (toward the driver) and consists of a 10mm bolt with locking nut that adjust the travel of the pump linkage. Simply loosen the locking nut on the bottom, then back off the bolt about a 1/4 turn, then re-lock the locking nut on the bottom. It help to have someone hold down the throttle while doing the adjustment to keep the linkage off the bolt you are adjusting. It also helps to have a mirror to locate the bolt the first time as it not out in plain view.

If this is not your problem, suggest that you take a close look at the RUBBER fuel line segments located near the starter and block. They tend to crack with age and can let air in the fuel system. Be sure to replace them with diesel rated hose if you mess with them. Hope this helps.

John (DH)

Edit: Forgot to mention - adjust the idle with the engine turned off
Old 06-09-2004, 09:50 AM

Great,
What is the interval on the valves?
Old 06-09-2004, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by MBman
Great,
With your mileage and already having the valves adjusted once, I don't think that is your problem. The service interval is about 50K miles after the first adjustment but don't quote me on that. There is one guy here at work with a '94 model with right at 400K on it and he has never had the valves adjusted. Batteries and starter have been his only problem.

John (DH)
Old 06-09-2004, 01:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll bet your fuel pressure is too low. Either check it or just replace the overflow valve.

Buy one here-
Precision Diesel Injection and Turbo Inc.
Marty Tompkins
toll free 888-734-7349
$24+ $5 shipping and handling.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll second having the idle checked. I put them at 700-750 in gear with the a/c on. Being I live in "he##" the a/c drags everything to it's knees in the summer.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by MBman
Great,
The owners manual in my 1997 states every 24,000 miles.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BBWD
There is one guy here at work with a '94 model with right at 400K on it and he has never had the valves adjusted. (DH)
That's nothing to brag about.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:42 AM

Thanks everyone, It is in the shop right now and I was able to talk like I knew something!
I will let you all know the outcome
Old 06-10-2004, 09:39 AM

Facts

Originally posted by J BODY
That's nothing to brag about.
Wasn't bragging just stating the facts. He has been complaining that his mileage was going downhill and I suggested a few inexpensive tune up things like valves, timing, overflow valve, etc. but he just wants to keep on driving it until it quits.

John (DH)
Old 06-10-2004, 11:16 AM

the word so far is throttle position sensor - sounds expensive
does this sound like a possible culprit?
Old 06-10-2004, 12:05 PM

The throttle position sensor on a 97 only affects the torque converter lockup or shifting in or out of overdrive. Ask the dealer to adjust the idle speed and you will pass on the TPS at this time. They probably want over $200 to replace the TPS for you.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:05 PM

Well this also may be an issue. I noticed while hauling about 10,000lbs behind me the other day that it seemed like it was dragging up inclines, when I felt like it should "shift down". In fact I punched the accelerator to the floor and it just bogged along.
The dealer mentioned that the idle adjustment should not be tampered with because "something" is causing it to lower. It does not simply drop from 900RPM to 400RPM without reason.
Since this seems to worsen as the engine heats, and does not do it all the time perhaps he is on to something. In light of BoldtsWagon mentioned I may just bite the bullet and replace the sensor, which IS pricey.
Thoughts?
Thanks again
Old 06-10-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The tps has nothing to do with engine rpm on a 12 valve, the "mechanic" you talked to is applying 24 valve reasoning to your truck. The idle adjustment on a 12 valve does change over time as it's just a bolt that contacts a lever, it wears out. There is no harm in adjusting it up though it still might not be your problem. I still think you have low fuel pressure, overflow valve, clogged filter or lift pump being the cause.

Quick Reply: 97 Dodge Diesel Stalling, help!