HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

91 CTD won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Smokee
Find the leak. Bet that's the problem. If you can see fuel, it is sucking air.
QUOTE[[[[[[3. I seem to be leaking a drop or two from just above the power steering pump. Is this the injector pump?]]]]]]QUOTE

I would look at the leak. most likely that is where your problem is. it should not leak at all.

T hats what i said.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got what I THINK is the FSO solenoid out this morning. It is about an inch around, goldish and has a plunger and spring inside it. I removed the plunger and spring and put the body of the solenoid back in. Still won't start. The location of this part is just before the high pressure hard lines head off to the injectors.

The solenoid only has about 1/8 inch of travel. Is this the normal amount? I can't find pictures of the actual part for the 1st gen trucks anywhere, only the 94-98.5 models. I can't try to run the truck without the solenoid in place as I get a geyser of fuel out of hte hole where it lives. I guess the good news is that means my lift pump is still working. Of course, if the injector pump is hosed. so am I.

There doesn't seem to be a way to remove the solenoid and replace it with a pull cable, like I've seen other people doing. So, am I looking at the right part?

Does anyone have an actual pic of the solenoid, either on the engine or off? I'm getting pretty discouraged here.

Thanks

stu...
Old 05-28-2004, 09:51 AM

At the risk of being repetitive, fix the leak.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:55 AM

I know the leak in the throttle shaft needs to be fixed, but would this cause a total shutdown? Or just rough starting and running? Since this leak seems to be pretty common, I'm guessing it isn't typically catastrophic. Is there a seal kit available for the pump? If it something I can get locally, and it doesn't require a total rebuild of the pump, I'll jump on it right quick.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:56 AM

If it is sucking ANY air, it won't start. If it is leaking fuel, it is sucking air.

At least, that is my opinion.
george