HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

91 CTD won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 CTD won't start

Yesterday I started my 91 after a few weeks of sitting. It started rough, but then got smooth. Went back later that afternoon and tried to start it with no joy. It cranks great, but won't fire. Here is what I know so far:

1. Battery is good. Engine RPMs at crank are high.
2. I have fuel in the filter.
3. I seem to be leaking a drop or two from just above the power steering pump. Is this the injector pump?
4. I get no smoke from the tailpipe, which leads me to believe I am not getting fuel to the engine.
5. There is an electrical connection on what I'm guessing is the injector pump that seems to be loose. It was dark last night when I was looking at it, so I'm not sure.

The truck has been rock solid reliable til now. Now for my questions:

1. I think I need to check for fuel at the injectors. How do I do this?
2. Is there a way to manually prime this thing?
3. What else do I need to look for?

Thanks for the advice. I'm stumped when it comes to diesels.

stu...
Old 05-25-2004, 11:41 AM

1. Loosen one of the injector nuts...5/8" and crank. Be careful of high pressure spray.
2. There is a primer on the lift pump.
3. Make sure that the rubber fuel lines are not sucking air. Pressurize the filler with a 12v. compressor and a rag jammed in. An air leak will not necessarily leak fuel. Make sure that connection is TIGHT and CLEAN. That is the fuel shut=off solenoid.

good luck
Old 05-25-2004, 11:45 AM

Fuel shutoff Solenoid connection

Is that a possibility for this problem? If that connection is OFF, what is its state? I'll repair that connection as necessary tonight and hope for the best.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:19 PM

No I'm sure the problem is on the fuel cutoff solenoid on the injector pump. It is towards the back and should have two wires going to it w/ spade connectors. Make sure those wires are still on and good connections, no corosion. Also make sure there is power there after the key has been on for a good minute. If there is no power than that is your problem, if there is power there that solenoid is bad, take it out and there is like a ball and plunger and spring or something, take it out, put the soleniod back in w/out those. Then it should start but the key won't turn it off, so you have to use the manual shut off lever on the side of the injector pump to turn it off.

Good luck, Arod
Old 05-25-2004, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QUOTE[[[[[[3. I seem to be leaking a drop or two from just above the power steering pump. Is this the injector pump?]]]]]]QUOTE

I would look at the leak. most likely that is where your problem is. it should not leak at all.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:25 PM

The fuel shutoff solenoid is definately a candidate for this problem. Try cleaning up the connections and checking the wire. If this doesn't work, the solenoid itself may be bad. If no power is coming if the fuel supply is shut off.

To check this, remove the sonenoid (a bit tricky, use a punch to turn it out). Take out the plunger and spring and reinstall without them. Start the truck. If it starts, that was the problem, if not you have to move on to other options. You'll have to shut it down with the shut down lever if it does start.

I hope this is of help to you. Good luck
Old 05-25-2004, 12:39 PM

Shutoff solenoid location

Found a picture of the 12v engine's left side. I'll start checking the solenoids when I get home this afternoon. Thanks for the advice, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

stu...
Old 05-25-2004, 04:39 PM

I'm not sure what exactly is the fuel shutoff solenoid. But I have a few more data points

1. The manual primer pump moves fuel to the filter and beyond, as I would expect.
2. When I crack the hard lines going into the tops of the injectors, I get varying degrees of fuel spray in the engine compartment. Some violent, some not so violent.
3. I can hear the solenoid (I'm guessing) click when I turn the key to run.
4. I'm hearing what sounds like hissing air when doing stuff like pumping the primer or right after cranking the engine.

Questions:

Where is the bleed valve? Is there one?

On a 91, what does the FSO solenoid look like? Where exactly is it located?
Thats all I got right now. Somebody, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

stu...
Old 05-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
FSO solenoid is towards the back of the pump and has a wire hooked to it. The bleed screw is on the banjo bolt (the bolt that holds the fuel line on) on the outlet side of the fuel filter.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:53 PM

Sounds more and more like a fuel line leak
Old 05-26-2004, 10:41 AM

i had the same problem awhile back

it was the fuel shut off solenoid
and relay

heres a link to a pix http://www.fostertruck.com/images/so...ighlighted.jpg

heres the link to getting one http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm

also change you fuel line

hope that helps

bruce

*Edit* this was for my 95 im not sure if this applys to your 91
Old 05-26-2004, 05:07 PM

Injector pumps and trouble codes

Its looking like I have a bad IP. ****. The truck only has 83k miles on it. I shorted the solenoid and it clicked. With the key in run I have 12V at the connector. When the key is turned I can hear/feel it click. I can't get the thing out cuz it is so tight in there. I still have a leak somewhere in the IP area. I see a bubble coming from the spring on the throttle linkage connection.

I'm hating life. I sold a decently running 67 F250 with an I6 so I could keep this truck. Diesels are supposed to be bulletproof. Huh.

Are there any codes I can grab from this thing that may help me diagnose it? It's pre-OBD2, but I can always hope. I have been able to get codes from the RWAL controller, so maybe....?

Thanks
stu...
Old 05-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
No codes, the computer doesn't run the engine on our old trucks - thank God. I would try real hard to get the shut off solenoid out, could be some trash hung up in there that's keeping the truck from running. The leak at the throttle shaft is fairly common and doesn't require a total pump rebuild to fix.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:58 PM

Soleniod

OK, I will try again tomorrow to get the solenoid out.

And I've been a life member since I was 12.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:14 PM

Find the leak. Bet that's the problem. If you can see fuel, it is sucking air.

Quick Reply: 91 CTD won't start