HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

5000 miles--bad ball joints!!!!!! Possible???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 5000 miles--bad ball joints!!!!!! Possible???

I have a 1005 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 std tran. that I bumped into a curb and scuffed my beautiful rim (ugh!). I was concerned that maybe I needed to redo the alignment so I took it to an independent alignment shop with the latest equipment. Before they would align the front end, they checked the ball joints with a crowbar. He said that there was movement and the ball joints needed to be replaced since they are defective. He advised me to go back to the dealer.

Questions:
1. Bumping against the curb--could it cause BOTH ball joints to go bad. In other words, am I at fault? (I am sure the dealer will tell me that when he sees the scuffed rim edge--about 6 inches on tire edge of rim.) I was only going 20 MPH! I presume the Heavy Duty Truck should take a run into a curb????

2. Could ball joints go bad (or be bad to begin with) with only 5000 miles on the truck.

3. I have a 1000 mile trip planned in a couple of days. Any danger in driving the truck. I only notice a slight drift to the right at 60 MPH over a hundred yard distance.

Thanks for the advice. I am not mechanically inclined, and this is the first truck I have ever owned. I want to be prepared before I take it to the dealer. Thanks in advance for the time you have taken to respond to plight.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Banned

Only for you will I ever mention this.......

I was attempting to avoid some speed bumps in a parking lot that was typically used as a short cut near our local mall..... I thought I would be slick and sneak around the islands and run down the other side of the lot..... little did I realize that there was another island at that side of the lot also..... instead of hitting it at near 40 mph and creating a rough ride for the other half I locked up the binders and slid into the island..... I hit it on the slide and as soon as I stopped I backed up and proceeded around the island that I just rammed..... would you believe that when I would turn the wheel to the left the steering would not return and center itself?..... the culprit..... upper ball joint was binding in the knuckle thanks to my little shortcut jolt.....

It all depends on how hard you hit that curb, but it is entirely possible. Trust me, I, unfortunately, know!

Oh yeah, if anybody ever asks I didn't tell you about this.....
Old 11-25-2005, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some up/down movement is acceptable, it's the lateral movement that you need to be aware of. Manual wants measurements with a dial indicator off of the axle to the knuckle. Just fyi...
Old 11-26-2005, 01:41 AM

I find it hard to swallow that you trashed your BJ's by rashing a wheel. Sounds like he didn't know how to check them. You'd almost virtually need to bend a wheel beyond use to hurt a BJ that's relatively new...especially when talking hardware as stout as a 2500s. I can see it in smokindog's case since he hit a curb with the binders on (that would be bad...if you know you're gonna plow something...better to do it without loading the front end with the brakes). But a simple rash? Not likely.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:40 AM

I can't imagine that you hurt the ball joint on the other side. If there is play it was probably there from the factory. Take it to the dealer and be honest about what happened. I've had pretty good luck with our local dealer and usually they will treat you ok.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As above take it in to the dealer and mention that you had it to an independent alignment shop and that they told you the BJ's were bad. Depending on your dealer weather you mention the curb or not. Why give them something to deny you warranty if you don't have to. If they bring it up you may have to make an insurnace claim if that is proved to have caused the damage. I'm not condoning lying to the dealer., I'm just saying don't bring it up unless it's appropriate to do.

JM02..........Don
Old 11-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Banned

you could also rotate the offended tire to the rear to draw away indications of any front end hit..,,,
Old 11-26-2005, 07:09 PM

My '04 had all the ball joints replaced at the dealer with 13k. technician said it was defective parts and he had done many with fewer miles than mine. didn't cost me a penny.