HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

2007 1 ton dually

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 1 ton dually

I just got a call from a friend. He is parked for the night, but no internet access. Underneath the rad fan, on the drivers side, is some wires that wind up going under the shroud support bracket. Something jiggled, and this assembly jumped into his fan. He has lost a blade. So, two questions.

What is connected to the other end of those wires? (I can find the wires and the bracket, but damned if I can find the other end on wet, icy ground, in the dark... it goes between the fan and the radiator from what I can tell)

How hard/long to do an emergency change on a fan? It took out some blades when it went. What is involved?

This was all noticed because he started overheating. The fan was jammed by whatever was left of the assembly (basically, the connecting plug and some sheared wires).

Thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
that is the fan clutch wiring that jumped into the fan. changing the fan itself can be a bit of a pig, but not too bad, compared to say removing all of your body hair with a pair of tweezers.

Its been one of those weeks.

Do you have access to a new fan assembly?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Not sure what he has access to, due to him being somewhere in the north west country of the states...

He should be able to pick one up. I was concerned about the out of ballance fan doing further damage to his truck while on the road. Is this an issue? He's on the last leg home, and therefore to his mechanic... unless somebody knows a good mechanic in idaho or washington? I'll phone him this morning and let him know what I've found out so far...

Would he need the whole clutch assembly, or just a new sensor and fan blade?