HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500/Diesel Hunting for Gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2000 Dodge Ram 2500/Diesel Hunting for Gears

I own a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500/Cummings Diesel that is hunting for gears at around 34 and 47 miles per hour. It started in May 2005 and the local dealer has not been able to rectify the problem after many tries with technical assistance from STAR. Over the past 1.5 years they performed the TSB 21-14-99 ECM flash, replaced torque converter valve body, cleaned the battery posts, re-wrapped the TPS wiring harness, made a new wiring harness between engine controller and APP sensor, replaced APP sensor, replaced alternator, R & R transmission with overhaul and replaced all internal clutches & seals, replaced RP and converter, flushed coolers lines, replaced PCM and Cam sensor. Yesterday the local area Technical Service Representative again verified the problem existed, couldn't come up with anything new except telling the dealer to clean the battery posts, but the problem persists. Basically, the Dodge Area Technical Service Representative (Jeff Price) has given up on the problem and told Daimler Chrysler Customer Assistance the gear hunting is "normal operation." This statement to corporate has essentially shut down any further technical help or assistance I can get from them. They now say there is nothing more they can do because the Area Representative says it normal operation and when it hunts, I should just shut off the OD. Give me a break! The fact that I only have about 80 miles left on the warranty probably had something to do with everyone's attitude. I give high marks to the local dealer (Reed Brothers Dodge), but they are afraid to "tell it like it is" to Daimler Chrysler Customer Assistance in fear of overriding/jeopardizing their relationship with the Area Technical Representative. So now the Service Manager at Reed Brothers (Dion Price) just tells the Daimler Chrysler Customer Assistance it "shifts funny." What an understatement. At around 47 miles per hour and under light load (going up a slight grade hill), it erratically shifts in and out putting untold stress on the transmission and engine with the dramatic and rapid RPM shifts. Anyone have any advice on the technical problem or have contact information for someone I can contact next to complain?
Old 09-14-2006, 03:48 PM

Try going to the turbodiesel Registry become a member and post it there..Its Free just like here..Mahalo to both for providing us with these wonderful source of knowledge and wonderful Dodge Diesel owners...Ron
Old 09-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Turbodieselregistry.com
Old 09-14-2006, 04:08 PM

Oh Braddah! LoL
Call DC dirrect before your warranty runs out. If it is doing it rapidly this is no good but if it only hunts a couple of times then yes it is pretty typical. If they still refuse to help you or flat out replace the faulty componets try looking into the Lemon Law before your warranty expires.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 47RE in my '98 did the exact same thing from new, wandering in & out of OD randomly between 40-50mph; I was told it was due to the factory programming of the ECM - nothing to be done. It gradually got worse over 100K miles, eventually I realized the converter was going in & out of lockup.

Even after I bought the 49RE for it at @ 200K miles, I wasn't satisfied with the way it shifted until I installed the "mystery switch", which gives me manual control over both OD & converter lockup. It will pull and hold whatever gear you select, like a standard, which is great - but don't forget to to switch off during a hard stop, because it won't downshift by itself like that!