HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

1st Gen Transmission Lines Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1st Gen Transmission Lines Needed!

Guys I Hope You Can Help Me Solve This One Problem I have I have A 1990 W250 that has 3 sp auto that has cracked a trans line from the trans to the round cooler mounted to the side of the engine have been to a local dealer he says NLA and brother that is a long drive for me this is my first and would never be my last CTD i have hauled big toys {41 ' steel house boat} with this brute and i have learned my lesson with testing its limits had to buy the 3sp when it broke driving around empty after one of the few stunts i put this bad boy through. if i could just talk one of you guys out of some spare parts i would consider myself lucky. the line i need is from the trans to the cooler i thought the trans was a 727 i know it has no OD 3 speed i am sure of any help would be great

David Jones
Little Rock
Arkansas
501-258-7787
Old 12-26-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Off the top of my head I cant visualize them, but Napa usually sells steel lines of various sizes and lengths. You can bend one up to fit with a dolly or over a pipe.Just a thought.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:23 PM

thanks for your help had a hyd hose made up for a temp patch but still hunting a steel line with big enough diameter to bend a new one will check napa but over the phone they told me 3\8 was the largest in stock mine is bigger but again i thank you for your reply.

dave is between the rock
Old 12-26-2004, 04:58 PM

I've had good luck patching them with NAPA's heavy duty fuel line and hose clamps . Part of the line on my 94 is rubber anyway . I used 1/2 " ID
Old 12-27-2004, 09:36 AM

cooler line

I think I have what you need. I had a 1990 D350 that was rear-ended and totaled. I sold everything, but still have one of the lines. Is this the one that goes to the right side of the engine? I will try to take a photo of it tonight so you can see if it is what you need.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:56 PM

i think you have the idea right side of eng to trans they call it the short line let me know if you get the chance to send a photo thanks for looking and replying to this post

dave
Old 12-29-2004, 10:40 AM

Someone has a line with tranny temp installed-in the classifieds!
Old 12-30-2004, 12:06 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

If you have a problem locating one, your probably better off without connecting to the heat exchanger with all the towing you do. I was told by a good tranny shop that the larger line sive is irrelevant. The output from the pump is more restrictive than a smaller line will be. I just ran a regular tranny line up to the new, larger cooler I put on. On a diesel, the tranny is working before the coolant gets up to operating temp for any benefits anyway. If the tranny gets hot, the heat exchanger might prevent it from cooling and even cause your engine to over heat. Also, if the engine gets to running hot, it may reheat the tranny fluid after it has already been through the cooler.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:45 PM

Good Idea redleg i may have to resort to that one i thought i would keep it stock but with parts like this nla i may just bypass the warmer box aamco built me a fine trans it was out of fluid for at least a day after the line cracked i thought it was trashed but filled it back up and she still pulls fine and dandy (thank god) didn't want to pay for 2 transmissions this year if you know what i mean thanks for the reply might have a member sending me a photo of a line he doesn't need any more if that doesn't pan out i will heed your advice and scrap the box thanks again Dave
Old 01-02-2005, 05:23 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

If you just had it rebuilt, I'm surprised they didn't tell you about it. Most shops will not honor a warranty if you reuse your cooler and heat exchanger. They will not trust you to get all the debris out. Scrap the factory cooler up front anyway and get a good one. Make sure you get one made with a large TUBE, not plates or a small tube. The plates can trap debris, and without a smooth flow, hydraulic fluid can build heat, defeating the purpose. I know I said not to worry about the line size, but a larger tubed cooler will be less prone to trap debris with all the curves in it, IF you were to hurt the tranny again. At least you would be able to limp it home if you got hot doing something, instead of plugging it completely and getting stranded.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:47 AM

If you will email your email address I have the picture of the line I have and I will send it to you. I can not figure out how to send and attachment with these posts.
danderson_12@hotmail.com
Old 01-06-2005, 11:50 PM

You Guy's Have All Been a Great Source and Very Helpful and i want to Thank All of You. I Think DonA Has Solved my Problem and I am Sure this Post Can Be Removed at this time

Thank You ALL!
Old 01-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We don't remove the posts,,,,,,, just in case someone else may have a similar problem and they will be able to find this info by using the search function. The members here are always glad to help and like they always say,,,,, "Two heads are better than one....... so a couple thousand has got to be even better!"