HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

'04 Out of FUEL Cannot Restart HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '04 Out of FUEL Cannot Restart HELP!

Hey all,

I've got a 2004 Cummins 5.9L with over 70K on her. She has been driving perfectly fine with no problems, all highway miles...

Tonight, as I have been pushing my luck lately, I ran out of diesel and the truck died.

I called a friend and we threw in 5 gallons of Mobil Diesel, she turned over twice but shut off right away each time and hasn't turned over since.

I am no diesel mechanic but know my way around gas cars just fine. that being said, it's after midnight here in CT and I am looking for anyone who can guide me as to how the heck to restart this thing...there is a filter with a yellow "switch" underneath it in the engine compartment.

I read on a few websites that the 04 Cummins motors have some sort of "self-priming fuel pump" that is supposed to be trouble free even if the truck runs out of fuel....

HELP ME PLEASE AND THANK YOU ALL!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your plight. I don't have a third gen but I'm somewhat sure that it's a matter of purging the air.

I know that on the 2nd gens you may have to crack a few injectors to bleed it.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:58 PM

Dude, That sucks. I don't have a 3rd gen, only a 1st. I done that once & it was a ***** to get it to fire up again. Yep, I had to crack some injector lines open, to push the air out. But when that didn't work, I disconnected my intake heater & sprayed ether in her. I know it say on the engine to not use starter fluids, but I if you disconnect the intake heater, you can try this.

Otherwise keep cranking on it, it will eventually purge the air out. Hope your batteries are hot.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You shouldn't have to crack any line's on a 04. That yellow switch is the drain valve for the fuel water seperator. Make sure that is closed by pushing it toward the passenger side. Turn the key forward, bump the starter for just a second, that will make the pump come on. Let it run for roughly 20 to 30 second's. Repeat that process a couple of time's, and it should start. If not, something else may be wrong. You may need to put in more than 5 gallon's. Open the yellow drain valve and see if you're getting fuel. Keep us posted.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:24 AM

Just like bad ramer jammer said, just bump your starter. you will here the lift pump running ( buzzing) It will shut off after about 10-15 seconds. Do this 2 or 3 times and it should reprime itself. Would be a great time to change the fuel filter you just sucked up all the junk thats been in your tank. You can loosen the little bleeder on the top of your filter canister to aid in getting alot of the air out. Just remember to shut it once you start seeing fuel.
Not being smart, but, there is a reason they give you that little manual that fits so nicly in your glove compartment as this is all in there, and can be helpful for "some" roadside technical difficulties.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah what they said, bump the starter a few times (changing the fuel filter and adding more fuel are good ideas too). If that doesn't work there is a chance your lift pump is shot.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:55 AM

What's different about the 3rd gens that would relieve you from having to crack a few injectors?

Kicking on the lift pump does a great job of filling the filter cup, but not much more, as I found with my 2nd gen when the fuel gauge stopped reading below 1/8th tank the first time. I had to crack three injectors to get it started, although, that's not all that complicated or hard.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:04 AM

I'm not going to be any help I just had to jump on the title of the thread

"04 Out of Gas Cannot Restart HELP!"

Did anyone think maybe he should put Diesel in it instead of gas?

But seriously, did you get it started yet?
What ended up working?

dan
Old 01-12-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you crack the injector line, or any line after the injector pump (except the return)and have fuel in it then you will unleash around 20,000psi. That is enough for you to loose your finger or other part.

Open the top of the fuel filter and check to see if you have fuel inside of the filter bowl. If you do then good, if not then you might need to put more fuel into your tank.

Do you here the lift pump come on when you turn the key on?
open up the filter bowl top and turn the key on, if the pump is working you will have fuel come out the top. (make sure that you have a good friend next to you to turn the key off when you yell "TURN THE KEY OFF or OH CRAP).

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't ya just love when they don't let you know if it's fixed or not.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
Don't ya just love when they don't let you know if it's fixed or not.
And not read their owners manual.

Or not get a service manual before working on their truck.

Or not do a search for their questions which have been answered many times before.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
or not KEEP YOUR TANK AT LEAST 1/2 FULL!

Old 01-13-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
or not KEEP YOUR TANK AT LEAST 1/2 FULL!

No way I'd stop that often.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shootist
What's different about the 3rd gens that would relieve you from having to crack a few injectors?

Kicking on the lift pump does a great job of filling the filter cup, but not much more, as I found with my 2nd gen when the fuel gauge stopped reading below 1/8th tank the first time. I had to crack three injectors to get it started, although, that's not all that complicated or hard.
the engine uses a fuel rail with electronic injectors that is at EXTREMELY high pressure(4-5K psi at idle)! there is a warning on the valve cover that says: DO NOT OPEN INJECTOR LINES WITH ENGINE RUNNING. there is enough fuel pressure to kill you! I would bump the starter as others have said and that should get it going unless there is another problem.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:12 PM

if ur still having trouble then do things one step at a time....crack the nut on top of the fuel filter and crank the truck till u see diesel coming out of there and then tighten it....OK now u have fuel up to the filter....from this point on u can try and crank it a couple times to see if it will start....ok....it didnt.....k....crack an injector line off and crank...till u see fuel coming out of there.....OK tighten it....now its just a matter of time

IMO u didnt even have fuel in the fuel filter...it takes quite some time to get her restarted...ur just being impatient...expect some nasty white smoke upon restarting

Quick Reply: '04 Out of FUEL Cannot Restart HELP!