HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

04.5 fuel leaking everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 02:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04.5 fuel leaking everywhere

I just drove about 4 hours to Tulsa for the holiday. I was getting really good fuel mileage until about two hours out from the destination. I pulled into a truck stop to get some food and noticed the entire driver's side of my truck, plus the rear tailgate and bumper, were covered in what looked like motor oil. It was brown. I noticed some smoke coming from under the truck, from the front axle area. I couldn't see any fluid levels were low so I kept going. Just got here to the farm and was able to look at it real good. I'm not sure what the part is, I'm gonna say the injection pump... but whatever it is, it's leaking pretty bad. It's not coming from the fuel filter canister where the fitting from the FASS pump goes. It's below that. What the heck do I do? I'm dumping fuel pretty badly and it was still leaking a constant drip pattern even after I shut the truck off. The stuff is everywhere. Help!

I am here for a couple of days so I can probably get what I need and fix it, but I am just not sure where to start. I am going to change clothes and go crawl under there once the truck cools down and see if I can track this down a little better, but I wanted to ask first because I know people have this problem quite often... I just don't know what it is or what causes it. Someone suggested that the fuel filter can might have cracked, or the banjo fittings could be loose. I will have to wait until daylight to see where the leak is coming from exactly, but EVERYTHING under the truck is covered, from the front axle back.

I have not changed the fuel filter recently or done any work under the hood. Whatever happened, the truck did it on it's own without my help. The only thing I can think of is that I went up a steep grade, passing slower drivers, in 5th gear and with the RPM's pretty high. My EGT's went up to about 1300 or 1350, which I've never seen them that high, and the truck defueled. Other than that, I drove real easy with low RPM's and EGT's. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 09:48 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by djgaston
EVERYTHING under the truck is covered, from the front axle back.
Check your oil level. Some have reported where an injector sticks open and continuously sprays into the cylinder, washing down the walls and into the oil pan. Oil pan over flows and paints the underside of your truck.

Good News: If this is the issue, its fixable.

Bad news: If this is the issue, and you drove a couple of hours using deisel as a lubricant, the fix is going to be very, very expensive. Is the truck still under warrantee? Interesting Mods, the dealer may want to blame the damage on them.

Good Luck,
Old 11-23-2006, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Danny,
The high EGT incident may or may not be an issue, but it does sound like one or more injectors is (are) leaking #2 into the crankcase - check if the fluid seems to be coming from the crankcase blowby tube.

What fuel pressure are you registering? The CP3 IP in your truck is a good unit - I doubt it would be the first part to break in your fuel system... how many miles on your rig?

BTW - Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2006, 10:23 AM

P.S. I'm considering those exact tires on my '05 (right now I run 315 BFG AT/KOs) - how are they wearing? I can't get more than 30K miles out of the BFGs on either truck...
Old 11-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

Thanks for the quick replies. As far as the BFG's, mine are wearing decently but I would not recommend them. I have run BFG AT's on several vehicles over the years but these 37's are horrible, they won't balance out and really aren't made for a diesel truck in my opinion. I've got a set of Toyo MT's in the shop, ready to go on once I get Don's radius arms installed.

As far as the leak, I "think" I found it. It's interesting to hear about the injectors getting stuck open, though. I will check the oil level right now. The only leak I could find while the truck was running was the FASS fitting on the back of the fuel filter canister. When I originally installed that, I used teflon tape, which is a no-no. I didn't know that at the time and had a small leak at first, but it went away. Apparently, it came back from the dead, months later, on this trip. The leak was not constant, but one big drop of fuel was coming down and hitting the injection pump every 5 seconds. On a four hour drive, I guess it's possible to lose enough fuel to cover everything. I'm thinking there might be another problem, like the injector issue, but at least I got this leak stopped. I'm going to wash the undercarriage real good and check the oil and see what I can find.

No warranty on this truck, I'm about to hit 50,000 miles. I don't like warranty work anyway, I prefer to upgrade instead. Still, I hope that the FASS fitting was the problem so I don't have to spend a ton of money that I don't have to fix the truck. I'll post back up and let you guys know what I find after playing with the truck some more. Thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Be sure and watch the Hogs play (and hopefully beat) LSU tomorrow! Woo Pig Sooie!!
Old 11-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Banned

Alright, I think I figgered out what is going on, but I'm not sure what to do. The FASS fitting was leaking and that is fixed now. However, my oil level is about twice as high as it should be. It is 3 or 4 inches past the "full" mark on the dipstick. FMB mentioned my injector(s) may be sticking open and hosing down the cylinder(s) with fuel, and filling up the crankcase, then that mix of oil and fuel blows out and covers everything. I'm a diesel newb. What the hecd do I do? I am going to change the oil, filter, and fuel filter if I can before I leave here. Surely I can find the stuff I need in Tulsa, somewhere. Then I can check it along the way back home and see what happens. Ideas?
Old 11-23-2006, 04:31 PM

I think your pressure mods have wasted at least on of your sticks... I wouldn't drive too much with #2 as a lubricant.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a suggestion. Outfit yourself with enough stuff to do another oil change out on the road. You never know when that injector might leak again,,,if that's the problem. And hey, if you don't need it on the trip home, at least you have it when the next oil change is due.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I wouldn't go anywhere until you get the injector fixed.

Even if you change the oil, it will quickly dump a bunch of fuel back into the crankcase.

If it were mine, I'd get it towed if I had to before I'd drive it like that.

Have you pulled the valve cover, and if so can you identify which injector(s) are cracked/leaking?
Old 11-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Banned

I read a step-by-step on how to remove and replace injectors and it seems easy enough. I hope I can find all of the stuff I need in Tulsa. I'm going to look up a diesel performance shop and see if I can find some bigger injectors, unless you guys think that is a bad idea. I just don't want to put stock injectors back in and then end up replacing them later. What should I go for? Edge "Hot" Juice with EZ and a FASS 150gph on the stock CP3 and stock turbo.

EDIT: I'm going to change the oil first, because while the oil level is very high, I can't say that I smelled any fuel in it. So I'm going to drain the oil and see what it looks like and smells like. If it's obviously got diesel in it, then I know what to do. If it does not have diesel in it, then what?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:56 PM

If the oil level is "very high", apparently high enough to start puking out the breather, it pretty much has to be fuel.

From what I've read on some other threads, when an injector housing cracks or leaks on a common rail engine, it can dump gallons of fuel into the crankcase in a matter of a few miles.

If you haven't pulled a valve cover before (from the e-mail of unedited post), it might not be a bad idea to have one of those shops do it, or at least talk to them when you pick up injectors to make sure you get everything right.

As long as you are replacing the injectors, upgrading would make sense to me, too, but hopefully someone more versed in performace parts will chime in to suggest which ones.

Edit: Do change the oil, but it might be a good idea to pull a sample to send in, and it also might be a good idea to cut the oil filter open.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:21 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Danny, listen to Jeff. Don't drive the truck till you take care of the injector issue. They are talking about injector upgrades at https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=124862 and you might like that set from F1diesel.

Sounds like you have already driven 2 hours with the fuel in the oil. No telling how much damage has already occured. Maybe F1 can overnight you a set so you can drive home without blowing your motor.

Good Luck,
Old 11-23-2006, 11:25 PM

Sounds like you have already driven 2 hours with the fuel in the oil. No telling how much damage has already occured.
Yeah, I'm no expert, but that's why I was thinking of taking the oil filter apart, and getting a sample of the oil... and why I wouldn't run the engine at all until the injectors are fixed.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Banned

Jeff, I edited the post after I read a step-by-step on how to swap injectors. I am comfortable working on stuff, I had just never pulled the valve cover on this truck and wasn't sure what to expect. It seems pretty simple as long as I get a couple of specialty tools. I will definitely talk to the performance shop and get their opinion of the whole thing, and any tips they have for whatever work I need to do. As long as it is something simple to fix, I would rather do it myself.

FMB, I had thought about overnighting some injectors but I think most places require you to send in a set, first. I'll definitely look into that if I can't find any here in Tulsa. What kind of damage are you referring to? A piston wouldn't totally seize up, would it? Maybe burn the cylinder walls and seals? I'm just not sure what "can" happen when the cylinders get washed out with oily diesel fuel.

You know what, screw it. It's midnight and I'm curious about the oil. I'm going outside to smell it and see if I smell any diesel in it. Would 15w40 and diesel separate in the pan, or are they soluable?
Old 11-24-2006, 12:40 AM

I can't recommend this but...

if it was my truck and I needed to get it home for proper (and cheap) maintenance in our shop, I'd change the oil & filter, and turn the bombs down/off and drive back at the most economical speed - using the least amount of #2 to minimize leakage past the sticks into the crankcase.

SOTP - cruising at 60mph, you'd need about 3gph of fuel, and the injectors might leak a third of that, so after a few hours you'd have equal amounts of oil & fuel in the crankcase - which keeps the engine lubed much better than straight #2! It's a tough call to make, but if you'd really rather get the truck home first and don't mind taking your time (even changing your oil midway), it's a chance I'd probably take. Just something to think about - certainly nothing I'd advise - more like the lesser of two evils.

Do you have a decent (not factory) oil pressure gauge?

Quick Reply: 04.5 fuel leaking everywhere