HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

03 Won't Start

Old 05-10-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Won't Start

I really need ya'lls help. The truck in my sig will not start. I have cranked it several times for 15 sec and it does not even act like it wants to start at all. I have not heard it fire once. The four smaller gauges on the cluster do not work (fuel, oil pres, coolant temp, voltage). I ran the onboard diagnostic on the cluster and everything in the cluster including the gauges tested fine. It did post two codes after the test though they were an AC 20 and AA 28. I tried to pull codes with my smarty, but it won't connect to the computer for some reason. I also tried using the other onboard diagnostic where you turn the key on and off four times to read the codes on the ECM, but that did not work either. I think that this is probably the reason that I can't get my truck started, but I have no idea what is wrong. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:11 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions? I put dielectric grease on the connectors at the computer and up on the big connector on the drivers side firewall and it has not changed anything.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:08 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Did you try cracking the injector line at one of the injectors to see if any diesel comes out when you crank it. If not, then we go from there.

Was the truck running normally when you shut it down?
Did you do anything to the engine after you shut it down last?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:58 PM

I cracked the injector line and it is getting fuel up there. I actually pulled the engine out and put it back in and now I cannot get it started. I have gone over the wiring harness probably about 10 times to make sure that I got everything plugged back in correctly. I am starting to wonder if I somehow shorted out the computer, but I do not know how to confirm that. If anyone knows could you please chime in.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

What exactly did you do to the engine while you had it out?
For example, did you remove the tone ring on the front of the crank?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM

Yes, is it the metal ring on the crank on the front of the engine?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:09 PM

I basically took everything off of the block to paint it, I put a new head on it, a new cam, new pushrods, new springs, new lifters, a new fuel rail, and a new cp3 pump.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 AM

Are you absolutely sure that the new cam is timed right?

That is a lot of work on an '03. Why so much work so soon?

I remember that the tone ring has a dowel pin, but can't remember if it can be reversed or not. If so, that could change the timing.

This is probably a silly question, but if you put new lifters and cams on it, did you make sure that the lifter clearances were correct? In other words, are you sure that you even have compression and that the lifters are not riding?

About the only thing I can think of that will cause your lack of start considering all the work and the fact that you do have fuel when you crack an injector line, is either the injector pump or the cam is not timed correctly. Are you absolutely positive that both these items are correct?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:16 AM

Yes, I am sure that I timed them correctly. Even if they were not timed correctly, I do not understand how it would cause all of my electrical problems.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you have a wiring issue somewhere or the ecm . do you have a wait to start light? none? flashing?

something is preventing transmssion to the ecm, no connect, error comm time out
Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 AM

may sound stupid but do you have fuel? i have heard of people's gauges not working and running out without knowing it