HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

02 no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 no start

Just bought an 02 6-speed 1 ton for a work pickup for the farm, drove it home roughly 100 miles or so with no problems, got home and sputtered once going down the high way like it had an air bubble in the line, died once on the highway but got it started back up, then parked it in the drive way and now it wont start up at all. Lift pump dosnt pump and I pulled these codes with my smarty.

P0230- Transfer pump (lift pump) circut out of range
P1693- DTC cleared in companion Jtec Module
P1694- No bus messages received from ecm module

Anyone have any expieriences like this or any information that could help me get this pickup running again?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:38 PM

How did you determine the lift pump does not work ?
02 that has the VP pump or not ?
From what I've gathered , the main pump will still start & run truck if the lift pump stops working , but that works the VP too hard & kills it .
Fuel pressure test ?
Just some ideas till you get more to help .
Old 12-31-2007, 02:34 PM

When I turn the key on the lift pump dosnt make any noise, I bumped the starter to get it to pump for the 25 seconds or so to try to prime the system, it still didnt make any noise. I put on another lift pump that I had and still nothing. I have not tested fuel pressure yet, does an 02 have an in tank pump?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:39 PM
BPM

Location: Shreveport LA for 10 days at a time, Groveton TX the rest
An 02 should have the same motor mounted pump, unless it has been converted to the intake pump. I would start by making sure that you are getting power to the pump when the key is on.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:22 PM

I have power to the pump, my meter shows i have 8.92 volts, it should have 12 right?
Old 12-31-2007, 04:23 PM

It should have battery , or truck running alt voltage , so theres at least one problem , or your getting a bad ground .
Pump relay ?
Old 12-31-2007, 05:31 PM

im almost sure that the pump is not my problem, i got somethin else goin on. I noticed that my wait to start light isnt comming on, and the last couple times i had a problem with this pickup the wait to start light wouldnt come on when i tired to start it, the only time the engine started is when the wait to start light came on. Its been plugged in so im sure it is not tempture related. Is this just a coincidence or do I have bigger problems.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:40 PM

how much fuel is in it?

has it started since the new lift pump has been installed?

your voltage is prolly about right, the grids suck some big juice when they heat. I would clean the batt cables ( i know it sounds stupid but these trucks do wierd things because of bad connections) hit the schrader valve on the return line on the vp44, you should be getting fuel. if you are not getting fuel and you have 9 volts or so the lp should be running. if it does not run after a starter bump....she is toast.

do a check of the grid heaters relay. power across after the key is on, grids not working might contribute to the hard start, but I suspect they are working due to your voltage.....but worth a look.

if ya get hung up through the week I'll be down in your neck of the woods hunting pheasants......if ya need a hand.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the help high country. I just got it runnin. I bumped the starter, but still the lift pump didnt run, so I tried bleedin the schrader vavle and I got some air then the lift pump started runnin, turned the key one more time and she fired. I never even throught of tryin the schrader vavle, but I did crack injector lines, that didnt help though. PM me if ya run out of pheasant hunting places, I can hook you up.