General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

WVO through a sock

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, that word titration reminded me of my last year chem. class....i think ill stick to the expensive, easy way of going to the pump
Old 07-13-2005, 04:25 PM

I have experience with WVO and biodiesel, I have two Dodges, one with a WVO kit. I use the best quality oil, clearest and thinest for burning staight and I convert the rest into biodiesel. The heat up time is the biggest limiting factor so short trips are biodiesel only. I was planning to pull the injectors after about 20,000 miles to see if coking has occured but I just found a good deal on a newer cummins so It will probably be sold soon. Oh well, so much for the test.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:38 PM

Question FFA

Originally posted by Alec
That would be very interesting. Have you kept any kind of log of what oil you have been burning? My understanding is that it is really the FFA's that are the biggest problem in WVO. Do you do any titration tests, etc. before filtering and burning the oil?
Thanks for your input, you raise a good question.
Other then water retention, what harm does FFA's cause? I do test for water after filtering and de-watering. Is there a reason to do so before filtering, it seems that the results would drastically change with a good filtration/de-watering process.
Ken
Old 07-15-2005, 03:57 PM

Why do the Future Farmers of America have a problem with WVO ? Tell them it's not West Virginia Oil . It can be made from vegetables in any staye .
Old 07-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned

Did you know that if you run cheap vodka through a brita filter 3 times that it tastes just as good as Grey Goose Vodka?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:51 PM

The concern (and I am not saying that it is a problem, I am really not sure) is, some say the rings can get gummed up from burning straight WVO long term. I have also read the same concerns with the injectors.

I have also read that just using some bio diesel along with wvo or in between tanks of wvo will clean up/help prevent the problem with the gummed up rings and injectors.

I agree, I would rather "remove" the glycerines and free fatty acids thru transesterification (converting wvo to biodiesel). The stuff that I get as by-product (the glycerine) is pretty nasty. While looking at the tub of glycerine I say to myself "don't wanna run that shirt thru my engine". Remember FFA (free fatty acids) are just that, ACIDS. Not to mention sugar from the foods cooked in the oil, and as previously mentioned, the salts, and water. Anybody want sugar, salt, acid, and water in there tank/engine??

I'm not knocking running WVO, and I confess, my original thoughts were to run wvo when I first got into this, but after reading countless hours away on the subject, I ended up deciding bio was the way to go. Remember, to each his own, but at least, the WVO should be dried, filtered, and better yet washed.

Biodiesel is not all that hard to do, and it really makes a difference on how my truck runs, especially with the reformulated fuels that are out now. Our trucks injection pumps need lubrication from other sources now, and wvo/biofuel fills that gap. Not to mention the cost savings.

I have my bio-batches down to about 1 hour of my own time. Yes, making a batch from start to finish takes me about 48 hours (I wash the fuel, then dry), but the actual time I spend is about 1 hour per batch. Cost is about 60 cents a gallon. The money I save is going towards the "new tranny fund". Allot less smoke, allot less odor, engine runs smooth, noise is down, and my pocket has more $$$ in it.

One of the best websites for both wvo and biodiesel is:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

Good luck
Old 07-17-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Did you know that if you run cheap vodka through a brita filter 3 times that it tastes just as good as Grey Goose Vodka?"

Is Grey Goose the good stuff?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Banned

Yup.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
My understanding is that the FFA's are created when the vegetable oil is heated in the presence of water, and that the FFA's form an acidic varnish at combustion temperatures, and cause excessive wear in the injector pump.

kd460 -- if I thought that I could get the process down to one hour per batch, I would pursue biodiesel production, but I just don't see how I could get there -- it would take more than that just to collect the oil not to mention the testing, heating, mixing steps.

Can you share some of your secrets? Also, what about glycerin disposal?

Thanks,

Alec
Old 07-25-2005, 07:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by PistolWhipt
Whiskey, Vodka and Orange juice ????

PISTOL
LMAO ,HEck even I run good on that - or run to something.