Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Woohoo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woohoo VP replaced out of warranty by dealer!!!

My "out of warranty" VP is being replaced with help $$$ from Chrysler for a price of $200 out the door instead of the normal $100 diagnostic fee.

Long story long, I got the p0216 code last Thursday right before a 6 month planned trip and I freaked out. I called my local dealer and took it in thinking I was under the 100,000 mile warranty so did the service adviser. A few hours later the service adviser called me back and said I was out of warranty due to the 5 year part of the Cummins warranty. Quickly thinking in my state of shock I reminded her that the "Cummins" warranty doesn't doesn't start until AFTER the 3/36 Chrysler warranty. No go with her or the Service Manger at this dealer. So my truck was issued June 20 of 2002. I have 82,7xx miles.

After telling my wife about all this she reminded me of our Great, and I do mean Great, salesmen that sold us our 2 Dodge trucks at the other dealership in town and suggest to call him. So I get on the phone, he remembers us quite well and suggests we call Chrysler directly at the main 800 number. So I spend over 4 hours on the phone getting the run around with people that don't speak English. Finally frustrated at the floor supervisor that will not transfer my call to his manager hangs up on me, so I called my sales guy back and told him my story of no help with the "call center" he said "well, I just had a regional manger do a ride along with me about a month ago. Let me call her and see if she's ever heard of this."

2 hours later the service manager of his dealership is calling me asking what's going on. I tell him of the warranty issue I'm having and want a new IP covered. In my conversation I was very polite and respectful but very firm that Dodge or someone was going to cover this under warranty. I explained the wording in the manual and someone changed the wording in 06 or 07 but from 99 to 06 I believe the wording is the same, he pulled up a copy and read it back word for word, then an 07 manual. I asked for his analysis of the wording and he said nothing and said I'll have to call Chrysler on this one. 5 hours later he calls me back and says he wants to have my truck in his shop for another diagnostic check to make sure no aftermarket parts are what caused the failure and then Chrysler will "help out" I say fine I'll give it to you Tuesday, today.

I drop off the truck at 7:00 AM when they open, I had an appt according to the service manager but I wasn't on the list, I say the service managers name to the clerk and he said for me to be here today so here's the truck. He calls the service manager and he comes out of his office with a big smile and a handshake. How are you doing today, small talk, our service writer will take great care of you and keep you posted of our findings. Ok, I leave the dealership.

6 hours later the service writer calls me back and said, yup your IP is bad and Chrysler is going to participate but they want a $200 diag fee vs. the $100. I ask why and they said they had to spend more time to verify it was a manufactures defect and not an "after market" product, full gauges, aftermarket LP, J-Hook I can't complain.

I of course agree to the $200 vs the $2700 I was quoted last Thursday.

So I should have the truck back tomorrow or Thursday With an New IP for a total cost of $310 due to the $110 the other dealer charged me for the diagnosis. Not the long drawn out fight to get a check in the mail.

Oh ya did I say WOOHOOOOO
Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You made out very well, congrats,

Tim
Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good For You.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to hear! It is true, that being dillegent yet polite can go a long way!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 PM

Well done! Yelling and angry words never get far. Polite and making the point will win every time!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 PM

Did you have the EZ on it when you took it in?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nkennedy
Did you have the EZ on it when you took it in?
Nope, why add fuel to the fire. I can't say for sure but I'll bet they put their scanner on and found I was using a timing fueling box but they still picked up the tab.