General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why'd ya buy a 4X4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.) It's snowing here now, the 2wd trucks are in the driveway or the ditch.....j/k Up here it's rare to see a two wheel spin, I bet you'd even have to special order if you did want one...On the other side of the coin, I imagine if I lived somewhere that didn't see snow and my truck was only for hiway towing and never left the road,...I'd more than likely have a 2wd too (that being in addtion to the 4wd ).

2.) I work in the northern Alberta oilfields, I use the 4wd allot.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because I needed one.

At the time I bought my truck I was working a portable sawmill full time and could not get to many jobs without 4WD, plus I used it to pull logs around, which is a lot easier with 4WD. Also, getting around to various places on my land, including my barn with a load of hay, require 4WD much if the year. And many of the boat ramps I have been to were made more easily usable with 4WD.

I used to do all of this with an 82 toyota 4WD, but it was getting thrashed, and had gone through a clutch and a transmission and lots of tires and shocks so I parked it and bought a 77 Dodge M880 full time 4WD pickup for towing the mill. It finally had a transmission problem and was getting a solid 8-9 mpg so I sold it and went with diesel.

I have had a 4WD truck of some kind continuously for the last 10 years, and I use the 4WD a LOT.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 AM

I own a ranch and need it for that. I hunt, haul hay and horses in offroad conditions as well and these trucks are worthless in 2wd off pavement. Plus I enjoy the 1.66 60 foots I can pull on street radials.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The real question is why not. . . you give up no more than about 1.5/2MPG when going from 2X to 4X. Then like all others including myself.

The CTU front end weighs a bunch. . .My last DRW was ugly on anything other than dry pavement for traction.

In the summer I can always get the boat up a crappy ramp.

In the winter I would have spent half of this past winter parked if I did not have a 4X.

Cost diff at the dealer 2K ish?
Old 04-20-2007, 02:37 PM

I bought a 4X4 because I live on a wheat/cattle ranch. Anytime I take my pickup out in the stubble it gets really bumpy, espically climbin hills, and I live in eastren washington so we have plenty of them. In 4 wheel drive smooths it out and I can go anywhere. During the winter if you dont have 4 wheel drive out here you might not go far, it gets pretty muddy/slick, espically feeding cows. Its nice to put it in 4-low, leave it in 1st and hop on the flat bed and just kick hay off. I dont plan on ever getting a 2 wheel drive, it just wouldnt work well for what I do.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:45 PM

21 miles of muddy road to the north fourty. 4x4 is a must with that heavy front end..

Last edited by PChouinard; 04-20-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I'm stupid
Old 04-20-2007, 04:27 PM

when you do have it, its always there if you need it and you can remove it fairly cheaply. When you dont have it well yer up a creek if you need it, and if you want to convert it to 4x4 its probably more cost effective to sell it and buy a 4x4. Im fairly sure its a special order here. They'd probably look at you like you were on 3 different drugs if you asked to order one without it with the exception of a drw work chassis cab
Old 04-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consider resale if nothing else. Mcoleman is correct, heck all 2wd trucks are worthless off pavement. If you do decide to go 2wd, load up the bed.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:00 PM

4x4

heres a couple of reasons the gm im pulling is a 4x4 but
i could find pics all day but here good way to figur it out
if your asking its because you never had a 4x4 or you wouldnt ask
here one way to put it the difference between a 2x4 and 4x4 is like the difference between a cold women and a hot women once you get a hot women you dont want the cold no more or if you prefer hot beer and cold beer you can have a hot beer but y
Old 04-20-2007, 08:37 PM

that gm only looks like a 1/2 ton too or if not he needs a beefier suspension
Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 PM

I am an inspector on construction projects for an electric utility company and they require that I have a vehicle with 4wd. For 2 years I worked on a project rebuilding an electrical transmission line and used 4wd almost every day while driving the right of way. Now I am working mostly in electrical substations so I use it a lot less but there are still times during construction when we have lots of mud or deep rocks and it becomes necessary to use 4wd to keep from getting stuck.

When I retire from this job I will keep my truck until it wears out but will probably not buy another one. I don't have any use for a 4wd vehicle away from work.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Why. Cause my wife told me too. God I love her.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:44 AM

to haul my welder up and down the pipelines/ gas facility...and to chase the powder in the winter on days off snow boarding
Old 04-22-2007, 08:42 AM

It's a lot easier to just reach over and pull the lever than it is to crawl around putting on chains to get up the driveway or to town!
Old 04-22-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Arkapigdiesel
We live on top of a mountain and have a 1/4 mile steep and winding hill to climb to get to our house. Without a 4WD in wintertime during snow and ice I can forget about getting to the house.
I've been to Chickendale AR lots of times... where's this mountain you speak of. It must be well hidden.

Quick Reply: Why'd ya buy a 4X4?