General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why H2 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why H2 tires?

I’ve seen a number of people have installed H2 tires and wheels on their trucks. Just curious, why? Is rubber cheaper? They just look cool? I’ve got some 20” rims on there now and they’re crazy expensive to replace and I’ll be needing to do that in the near future.

Thanks and regards.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:49 AM

The H2 wheel and tire combo works for a lot of reasons. They can be had for CHEAP as many H2 owners pull them off in exchange for the blingin 20s. Another reason is the bolt pattern is the same on the H2s as most of our trucks. and still another reason is due to the backspacing of the wheels. The 3rd gen dodges come with whats called a high backspace wheel, in order to keep the tires and wheels from sticking out of the wheelwell too much and flinging rocks and mud on the paint, a wheel with a backspace of around 6 in is ideal. The H2 wheels are around 6 in in backspace and seem to be a good fit for both the 2nd and 3rd gen trucks. Plus I believe they are a forged aluminum which makes them much stronger than alot of the aftermarket cast aluminum wheels.

In regards to the rubber...the 315/70/17 will fit w/out a lift on the 3rd gens. It only comes in a D load range I believe, but theyre are plenty of other options for tires with the 17 inch wheel.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Get rid of the hummer centercaps, and the wheels look real good. That, and they are made by Alcoa. Think any aluminum rim on a highway tractor.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
Get rid of the hummer centercaps, and the wheels look real good. That, and they are made by Alcoa. Think any aluminum rim on a highway tractor.
wont you be limited to running the H2 centers or nothing at all, I found a set locally with great rubber for about less than 1/2 what i was looking to spend on tires only. I just dont want them to say Hummer
Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
The OEM H2 Wheels are not made by Alcoa.

The seven spoke OEM h2 wheels are CAST and the weight ratings are virtually unobtainable because the manufacturer "Superior Industries" has a non disclosure agreement with GM not to publish specs on this product. They are manufactured in Hungary and are Cast, not forged.

There are aftermarket Alcoa 8 spoke LTS forged H2 style wheels are what they are, forged aluminum wheels for GM trucks/SUVs. They come with a breathtaking 2750 LB weight rating as well!! http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/produ...p?prod_id=1201

as far as your hub questions go, dodge has a 4.77" hub bore, gm has a 4.56" same bolt pattern otherwise. so you machine 0.21" from the total diameter (or 0.105" of material) and you have a hub centric again. thats less than 1/8 inch material removed. quick and painless and youre ready to rock your rims. 17" tall 8.5" wide with less offset than aftermarket for cheap.

That said, the weight rating on these is not published, and once machined/altered all is out the window. If there were ever to be an accident or incident (even if not caused by your wheels failing), insurance companies might find this as a reason to not pay etc. because of using wheels that lower/aren't up to spec with the weight rating of your vehicle. The important thing is to ensure that you have a configuration that is safe and will stand up under scrutiny in a case where you have to deal with your insurance company. Real world testing proves these wheels to hold up in most conditions. I think all in all this isn't cause for alarm because we haven't seen catastrophic failures as the norm on H2s or otherwise. Just putting the info out there, I know these H2 rims look cool and are popular. I wanted to give my recommendation and info on these rims as solicited by the original poster.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by jnicewan
wont you be limited to running the H2 centers or nothing at all, I found a set locally with great rubber for about less than 1/2 what i was looking to spend on tires only. I just dont want them to say Hummer
Most guys (including myself) run modified third gen caps. I think there is a pic of it in my gallery.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the metal lip is trimmed from the 2nd gen caps, they will pop on there. I simply cut a 6'' hole in the hummer cap to clear the hub and snapped the front ones right on. They look pretty sharp, imo, and the reduction in unsprung weight is pretty dramatic when compared to the stock steelies with 315 75 16's they replaced. I bet a full 30 lbs per wheel. They balanced out very nicely as well. Picked mine up for 3 bills with 40% rubber. Guy 'stepped up' to 20'' bling on his yellow h2,
Old 12-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Banned

I agree with pape cat, except the rims on our trucks are not hub centric, they are lug centric, hence the coned lugnuts to center the rim on the bolts. keeping the rim hub centric is important tho, if you plan to balance the tires convetionally. Most tire balance machines are rim centric. Or you can go with balalnce beads and never worry about balance or throwin weights again, ever.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought about the balancer machine issue, especially since I hogged mine out with an angle grinder, but the tech said they balanced up fine, and my truck is smooth at all speeds. Maybe I just got lucky...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PapeCAT

The seven spoke OEM h2 wheels are CAST and the weight ratings are virtually unobtainable because the manufacturer "Superior Industries" has a non disclosure agreement with GM not to publish specs on this product. They are manufactured in Hungary and are Cast, not forged.

There are aftermarket Alcoa 8 spoke LTS forged H2 style wheels are what they are, forged aluminum wheels for GM trucks/SUVs. They come with a breathtaking 2750 LB weight rating as well!! http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/produ...p?prod_id=1201

as far as your hub questions go, dodge has a 4.77" hub bore, gm has a 4.56" same bolt pattern otherwise. so you machine 0.21" from the total diameter (or 0.105" of material) and you have a hub centric again. thats less than 1/8 inch material removed. quick and painless and youre ready to rock your rims. 17" tall 8.5" wide with less offset than aftermarket for cheap.

That said, the weight rating on these is not published, and once machined/altered all is out the window. If there were ever to be an accident or incident (even if not caused by your wheels failing), insurance companies might find this as a reason to not pay etc. because of using wheels that lower/aren't up to spec with the weight rating of your vehicle. The important thing is to ensure that you have a configuration that is safe and will stand up under scrutiny in a case where you have to deal with your insurance company. Real world testing proves these wheels to hold up in most conditions. I think all in all this isn't cause for alarm because we haven't seen catastrophic failures as the norm on H2s or otherwise. Just putting the info out there, I know these H2 rims look cool and are popular. I wanted to give my recommendation and info on these rims as solicited by the original poster.

Weight rating is 2769 I got the info from Thomas Cepek at hummer products
http://www.hummerproducts.com/

Im thinking its probably a little less since we have to bore it out to fit, But I havent heard of any issues with these wheels

I have h2's on my truck and the main reason I got them is B/C i had steelies and hub caps, plus they look good especially flat black!! and they were $100for 5 wheels! I used 3rd gen centercaps, you just trimabout a 1/2 in off and they fit.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another notable point...price out 20" vs. 17" BFG ATs. I'm sure you'll see a significant differance which only supports the opinions listed above. I've had mine on for about 1.5yr and am 100% happy and would do it again. You may find other brands of comparable tires but I'm not convinced you'll get the ride or miles out of them when compared to the cheaper price.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The H2 wheels have about 7/8 inch less backspacing than the stock Dodge wheels, are 1/2 inch wider at 8.5 inches, and fit 315s better to the truck. We don't know their weight rating but I have not heard of any failures. In my case, I have been running them for about 175,000 miles now and I haul weight in the truck and tow my tractor. I also put six of them on my triple axle box trailer.

They are a cheap aftermarket wheel that fits better than the stock wheel and will always be available if one gets damaged. The only thing needed to fit them is to open up the center hole and that can be done with a router or some other way. They are NOT hub centric, but bolt centric, so the center hole is only a clearance hole.

As far as balancing is concerned, the wheel is centered on the balancer with the balancing taper on the backside of the wheel. This is a 45 degree taper that is not completely removed when the wheels are opened up to fit the Dodge, so there are no balancing issues. I've had several sets of tires and several re-balances on existing sets of tires with no problem at all.

The Dodge caps can be modified to fit the H2 wheels just fine. Mine snap on as they did on the stock wheels and work like stock. As the pix show, they also work with the Dynatrac kit if modified correctly.

Here's my setup.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...6&d=1205096878

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...7&d=1205096878

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...8&d=1205096878
Old 12-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by PapeCAT

Good post. If I need aftermarket wheels,I'm ordering from Centerline.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jesussaves
Weight rating is 2769 lbs I got the info from Thomas Cepek at hummer products
http://www.hummerproducts.com/

Im thinking its probably a little less since we have to bore it out to fit, But I havent heard of any issues with these wheels

I have h2's on my truck and the main reason I got them is B/C i had steelies and hub caps, plus they look good especially flat black!! and they were $100for 5 wheels! I used 3rd gen centercaps, you just trimabout a 1/2 in off and they fit.

BTW this is the rating of the old style, the new style might be more, but when i contacted tom cepek i asked about the old style
Old 12-12-2009, 07:21 PM

outstanding.

I picked up a set off craigslist today, approx 60% rubber on other then BFG (drawing a blank on the brand). I've got 1 rim "adjusted" thus far. Recommend using a router or a rotozip. It's not that hard, just takes a little while.
Thank you all for the info.
Regards.

Quick Reply: Why H2 tires?