Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

why do diesels cost so much

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 10:49 AM
tog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why do diesels cost so much

why do they cost so much in the first place?

it is a more efficient design in almost every respect I have read about, what is it about making a diesel engine that makes it so expensive?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:02 AM

the engines are built to heavier ratings ( they are used in MD trucks).
Old 04-20-2006, 11:16 AM
tog

is it all the parts or just the block? or is there something in the manufacturing process that just takes more time or better/more sophisticated equipment?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:19 AM

All components are built stronger and heavier to handle the dtress from 16.5:1 and 17.5:1 compression. Just look to a 80's GM diesel to see what would happen if they did not design the whole engine for the stresses.

Randy
Old 04-20-2006, 11:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Everything is built to much heavier duty specs. Pistons that might weigh 500-600 grams on a gasser will weigh about double that on the diesel. Heavier pistons need heavier rods and a bigger crank.

There's a lot more metal in the engine, and that's a big reason. A CTD 5.9 weighs about 950#. My small block Mopar weighed less than 550lb.

Then there's the fuel system. The injectors in a diesel are a LOT more expensive because they have to be so tough (directly IN the combustion chamber) and so precise at the same time.

I agree, though that when you add it up, I'd hard to see the price tag justified...
Old 04-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Chapter President

I think DC pay around $3500 for our engines, the diesel option lists about $5000 on Ram trucks.

The only way to come out on a diesel truck is to keep it for the life of the engine, 500,000+ miles. 95,000 miles and counting...at the currant rate of mileage I should need to buy my next truck sometime in 2027...
Old 04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike D
I think DC pay around $3500 for our engines, the diesel option lists about $5000 on Ram trucks.

The only way to come out on a diesel truck is to keep it for the life of the engine, 500,000+ miles. 95,000 miles and counting...at the currant rate of mileage I should need to buy my next truck sometime in 2027...

That's if you only figure the financial end of it. But you come out ahead all the way through with a diesel because they are so much better suited to the job at hand and just drive better. I think they are more satisfying because they have more low end torque, they last forever, they are always ready for a big job, they are fast, and they get better mileage. I'm not going to wait untill 500,000 miles to become happy.

Wetspirit
Old 04-20-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike D

The cost to produce an engine is not the only determining factor of price and may not even be the main one. Demand determines price also. Diesels are more desireable in trucks usually and the Cummins is the best diesel out there for pickups IMHO so when demand is high for a single source engine the price is going to be higher.

The other competitors simply price theirs to be more in line with the Cummins because customer loyalty and delusions let them get away with it.

Edwin
Old 04-20-2006, 12:03 PM

Also overall, there is about 3 times the weight to a diesel engine vs gasser. The injector pumps, turbo and injectors also being very expensive parts to make, plus intercooler and heavier trannys heavier drive train etc...
Old 04-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Chapter President

I agree with all your points guys. I wouldn't let cost be the only factor when deciding to purchase a truck with the diesel option either. It comes down to understanding diesel engine and the associated benefits. My main point was; if you trade everytime a new model comes out you don't come out, but that's the case with almost any vehicle. Unless you drive/tow more than 60,000 miles est. a year, it will take a long time to go on fuel mileage benefit alone over the cost of a gas engine v.s. diesel.

Even if the logical side of my brain said a gasser was the money~smart way to go, I don't think I could. Actually I know I couldn't.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:25 PM

After owning my Dodge Diesel for 10 years now, I don't think I'd ever go back to a gasser.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by tog
why do they cost so much in the first place?

it is a more efficient design in almost every respect I have read about, what is it about making a diesel engine that makes it so expensive?

Tog,

No disrespect here, but you ask two questions regarding cost vs. hidden costs (another post), and you also bring up the hemi vs. CTD as your original post. How many times can you a point?

If you sincerley do not believe you should own a Cummins, or if you are afraid of the cost vs. benefit differential, then keep on researching and let the diesel prove itself to you. If not, buy a gasser and be happy with it. Just ask us straight questions on here, no one is trying to trick you.

Most people do not plan for the long haul, if you are not used to thinking this way, you will think that this whole diesel engine thing is a fluke. Consider your use, do the math, and let the numbers (including residual value at resale time) help your decision.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Muted User

Why do Diesels cost so much

I agree with "Wetspirt"... My boat & trailer only weighs about 5k#'s but traveling with the Frau & Kinder in the boonies with my old pushrod 1/2 ton Suburban going even up a "hill" would shift down into 2nd and rpm up to 3500-4k ( very close to reline) and have a heck of a time to keep going 60 mph minimum. I always felt like geez I am maxing this thing out & I am no where near the "stated" towing limit or max weight it made you feel like it was maxed out & had nothing more. Lord forbid blow something or fry a tranny etc out here in the boonies where I can actually see the Milky Way & cell coverage is zero...Now compare that to towing with the CTD in the same scenario. CTD doing 70-75 in 6 the gear (manual's rule by the way ha ha) and the motor sort of saying to me "is that all you need me to do? No problem & I'll give you good MPG too". How much is "knowing your family will get there safe" becuase your pickup can do what you ask & could do more if need be worth? Is it worth it? You bet, just wished I had the brains resources to get a CTD sooner. I am happy? You bet although just like from the old "where's the beef commercials" I have to ask Dodge interior designers "where's the cup holders?" Ha Ha..Point of disscuison wouldnt you recover a fair amount of the up front cost of a diesel when you sell get rid of a CTD vs a similar equipped gasser? So what have you lost? Interest of $5k in the bank over x years etc...? Just chiping in my $.02....
Old 04-20-2006, 12:40 PM

That turbo under the hood adds a bit of cost 2

BTW you get what you pay for...
Old 04-20-2006, 01:06 PM
tog

these are straight questions

they are different in my mind

1. ctd vs hemi
2. hidden costs of diesels- I want to figure out what they are
3. why do diesels cost so much? this wasn't so much involved with my hemi vs ctd thread and question as it was really what the question was, I was interested in the costs and how they actually make them compared to a gas engine

Thanks for the replies people.

Quick Reply: why do diesels cost so much