Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Why did you choose your Cummins over the Chevy Duramax Alllison?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks.. umm need i really comment on the looks of the chev?....another wayyyyyy overpriced GM product....i cant stand quiet trucks!!!! its kinda umm girly...trucks are supposed to sound and ride like trucks and i make them louder as soon as they get on my parking lot anyway ...umm...dodges turn heads!!! the GM trucks dont...EVERYONE knows that

k those were my immature egomaniac reasons...now for some decent reasons

fixing anything on a duramax and allison will have u taking out a 2nd mortgage....i feel cramped in the interior compared to my dodge...Cummins is proven and mods on my 12 valve are done in my garage with my tools and no one will threaten to cancel my warranty .I DONT HAVE ONE!! ...i can actually put my hand anywhere in my engine compatment...i need a magnet to get a penny out in a duramax! for 5000$ to get the allison option i could get a 1st gen dodge

i'll never stop i'll be quiet now
Old 01-21-2005, 12:27 PM

1) Reputation of Cummins
2) Looks
3) 610 ft/lbs of torgue down low in the RPM range where it is needed.
4) Price/Value
5) Looks.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:30 AM

Better Built...

I also have no brand loyalty. I researched trucks for 3 years before I bought my Dodge dually Cummins. As a matter of fact I've owned nothing but Fords for the past 7 years, as I felt their quality was good, and for the first 2 1/2 years of researching trucks my mind was already made up to go with a Ford, but in the end I was not impressed with the problems of their 6.0 diesel. I've owned an automobile damage appraisal firm for 15 years and spoke with more body shops and service dept. managers than my cummins has ft lbs of torque. And I'm not just saying this becasue I own a Dodge, but GM Builds the cheapest american made vehicles on the road today... including trucks. They skimp on everything from harware, to paint, to thickness of metal. Did you know they recently lessened the thickness of the metal of their engine blocks? Their interor is very much prone to rattling. How many times do you see a GM with a headlamp out? This is due to the cheap bulbs they use. Do you have any idea how much they save when they decide to start using 1/3 less of the amount of paint per vehicle? I understand that everyone trys to cut corners to save a few pennies here and there, but I feel that GM has taken this to an extreme.

Oddly though, GM does use a good design on their vehicles. Mechanics seem to like their designs... for the most part, as it makes for easy repairs. But that doesn't help much when you have to maintain it twics as much as a Dodge or even Ford for that matter. Dodge is trying to steal the truck market from Ford, so they're offering great incentives to small business owners, and I've heard from many mechanics that the quality of their trucks are better than ever. This is why I chose a Dodge.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:53 AM

Re: Why did you choose your Cummins over the Chevy Duramax Alllison?

Originally posted by eileeneh
Hi--I'd like to hear from both sides, so I'm posting the opposite of this question on a Duramax site.

Thanks, Eileen
easy. at the time i was shopping, i could get a very nice used dodge/cummins fot $10,000. a 3/4 ton chevy 4x4 with an allison would have cost me $34,000. i didn't have $34,000.

FWIW, the duramax/allison is a very good truck, and has a much more car-like ride/feel. my old lady loves them because they ride so much better. most dodge guys scoff at things like that with statements like "i want muh truck t'ride like a truck! not some dulgurned car!"

if ride quality is important to you then you must consider the duramax. whatever you buy will be YOUR TRUCK and you'll have to live with it. don't listen to the haters.

jeremiah
Old 01-23-2005, 01:22 PM

My 95 Ford was getting ready to die, I was 400 miles from home and the best price I found in the paper was for an 02 Cummins diesel. I wanted a DMAX but would not pay the extra $10000. The last time my dodge was towed it was by a DMAX. All brands of trucks have their problems and I am not going to pick on the other brands as you never know when you will need a ride.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:02 PM

I was a dedicated chevy man most of my life. Had kids ford had a supercab very thirsty 351.
Always eyed the Dodges but raising family it was too costly. Kids gone some cash comes free
so I buy a 89 Dodge that was beat and had been on its roof, that truck just went and went nothing went wrong with it. Just service it and do the brakes, it never missed a beat and never let me down no matter what I was doing. I could not kill it. Sold it with 350,000kms on to a guy in Quebec it's now a farm truck the guy loves it. My neighbor offered me my present truck for trade in price and I could not turn it down. Love the milage and the torque on the big hills. And yes its a truck.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:52 PM

Reason we picked the Dodge, cummings 4x4 duallel is we are going to be 5th wheeles, probly FT. Many RV magazines and papers the Dodge ram was the favoirite truck. Some others said the 2nd gen was better in their opinion the the 3 gen. This could be an endess discussion. There are a lot of 12 valvers out there, and that is a great setup.
Wife asked what are we looking for. "2002 4x4 cumming long bed dulley"sez I.
She called our salesman Charlie at Bellingham Chr. and told him what we wuz lookin' for.
He said I' get back to you and let you know what I find.
Charlie call back 5 minuts later and said "I have your truck up here on the lot."
It had 9,100 miles on it.
We went and got it.
Don't know if this is a good reason. Feel we made a great choice.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:37 PM

I've always been a die hard chevy guy. But in this case I didn't buy a dodge.. I bought a cummins. If chevy had the cummins I'd probably own a chevy again. Can't beat the reliability no matter what the package.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:55 AM

,,,i had 2 dodge ram gasser,,hated the mileage ,and i knew people who had tranny problems,,so i didn"t trust them any more! I didn"t want another dodge,,but i did want a diesel, after looking at gm and fords diesel (V8s) i wanted a cummins cause it"s a inline six,,just figuired it would run cooler,,,and i have a 100 thousand mile warranty on the tranny,,,love the truck,,and i think i made the right decission,,but if i didn"t get the 100 thousand mile warranty on the tranny,,i never would have bought it!
Old 02-02-2005, 02:25 PM

Well those who know me know my truck and whats done etc. I recently bought an 05 chevy and wouldn't own another Dodge Im not brand loyal but no dodge I have ever owned or driven drives like a chevy down the road.