General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Where To Buy a ISL 425 or ISM 500?? And Will It Work???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe try to find truck and RV wrecking yards. Emergency vehicles and RVs usually have the highest hp engines. Craig
Old 10-02-2007, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the hardest part (for starters) is going to be getting the truck sans engine, because I don't want to waste $15,000 on a new engine that will never be used for a single moment!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by D.Wiggs
I think the hardest part (for starters) is going to be getting the truck sans engine, because I don't want to waste $15,000 on a new engine that will never be used for a single moment!
I don't think that's going to happen. I have a friend who's a ford salesman and he's tried several times to order a pickup without an engine or trans and the always tell him it won't happen, I'm sure it's the same with the 650/750 trucks. Another option would be to check with KW\Pete or Freightliner. I know you can get "glider" kits for class 8 trucks. Not sure about the medium duty models but I know KW and Pete can have 4wd and 4 door conversion from the dealer. The class 8's can be ordered with or without axles, transmission or engine, you pick. I'd call about the medium dutys but I probably wouldn't tell them what engine your planning on installing just tell them 8.3 cummins or Cat C7 so they don't blow you off as an idiot. I mean we understand what your after but I doubt they would.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
I don't think that's going to happen. I have a friend who's a ford salesman and he's tried several times to order a pickup without an engine or trans and the always tell him it won't happen, I'm sure it's the same with the 650/750 trucks. Another option would be to check with KW\Pete or Freightliner. I know you can get "glider" kits for class 8 trucks. Not sure about the medium duty models but I know KW and Pete can have 4wd and 4 door conversion from the dealer. The class 8's can be ordered with or without axles, transmission or engine, you pick. I'd call about the medium dutys but I probably wouldn't tell them what engine your planning on installing just tell them 8.3 cummins or Cat C7 so they don't blow you off as an idiot. I mean we understand what your after but I doubt they would.
What is a glider kit? I can only assume that means sans engine and tranny hence gliding?? I didn't know that KW or Pete dealers could do that sort of thing (i.e., order 4 or 6 door crew cabs with 4x4) so you can put a pickup bed on the back. THAT would be one amazing beast! And we know an ISX would fit in it!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Can you still get gliders??? I thought they did away with them years ago??
Old 10-05-2007, 08:09 AM

D.Wiggs....get it with the 6.7.....I'll find a good home for it....I have a bud who buys tons of diesel engines to fab gensets.....Last time I was at his warehouse there were quite a few.....big red ISX's laying around....He's a mennonite so he only returns calls .... he doesn't answer them....so he's pretty hard to get ahold of. Kerry
Old 10-05-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by abc4yew
D.Wiggs....get it with the 6.7.....I'll find a good home for it....I have a bud who buys tons of diesel engines to fab gensets.....Last time I was at his warehouse there were quite a few.....big red ISX's laying around....He's a mennonite so he only returns calls .... he doesn't answer them....so he's pretty hard to get ahold of. Kerry
We have a friend who is menonite. Not being a religious guy, were you being serious or joking around about them not returning calls?

That's great news that you could find a home for it! I wonder how much more physical space a ISX takes up over an ISM given that they both weigh about the same.

What surprised me is that only the ISX has an engine brake where as the ISM still has an exhaust brake.

I still am having no luck with a diesel shop who I could talk to about doing the engine/tranny/radiator swap.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:10 AM

Wiggs, sounds like an awesome new project for you. Keep us updated.

But shouldn't you be in Europe about now?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by nirion
Wiggs, sounds like an awesome new project for you. Keep us updated.

But shouldn't you be in Europe about now?
We leave on the 23rd!

We get married 3 weeks from today.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be towing a max of 16,000lbs. and plan on using it for a little off-roading.
Ok I have been out of the loop!! What about Optimus?? 16,000 pound load is nothing.
Come my way and you can see how the old dodge pulls 43,000
Old 10-05-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Ok I have been out of the loop!! What about Optimus?? 16,000 pound load is nothing.
Come my way and you can see how the old dodge pulls 43,000
I haven't decided on what I am doing about Optimus. I will have to see how Optimus does when I get him back in 10 days!

He was running very hot and it turns out it was because of a leak in the small turbo and dumping oil into the intercooler.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:19 AM

Get ahold of Bruce Mallinson at Diesel Injection of Pittsburg. He may be able to help you score one. Bruce has been in the game for years tuning larger diesels (N14s, 855s, etc.)

Take the time to read his articles on horsepower and torque.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:07 AM

I highly doubt that you will be able to get an ISX to fit. They are a lot wider and taller than the ISM. I am thinking the the cooling system would be the toughest part for an ISM let alone an ISX. You would be pushing your luck with the ISM for the cooling system.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Muted User

Originally Posted by logskidder
Can you still get gliders??? I thought they did away with them years ago??
Well they kinda faded away since they (for the most part) were not worth it. I've seen a few dealers stocking them due to the fear of the new engines. I'm not sure how they even work. I don't know how much of an origional truck your able to transfer before you have to pay FET taxes as if it were a total new truck. Also I'm not sure how they're titled (year) None of this really applies to Wiggs since he's basically wanting an engineless truck. Like I said though I don't know if you can do a glider for a medium duty but Paccar and Mack and I think Western Star are basically the only companies you can actually order a "custom" truck. By custom I mean if you want 2 front steering axles that also drive and 150,000 lbs planitary rear axles you got it.

I didn't know that KW or Pete dealers could do that sort of thing (i.e., order 4 or 6 door crew cabs with 4x4) so you can put a pickup bed on the back. THAT would be one amazing beast! And we know an ISX would fit in it!
Well I know 4x4 is available I don't think they install it at the factory, I think KW takes the truck to OshKosh to have it done. A company I haul for ordered a T300 with the 8.3 to pull a goosneck for jobsite lumber delieveries and they were going to add 4wd but it was too expensive. (would take a lot of tow bills to pay for it's self) As far as making it a 4 door Bentz Transport Products does the conversion and is a factory ordered option and I think you can gold plate the interior as much as you want (let your imagination and checkbook be your guide) . They're also located just south of Fort Wayne IN so it's not like the truck would have to cross the country to be built.

I wouldn't know why you couldn't order a truck like this as a 4 door, pickup bed (or even custom like this one) 4wd air ride and without an engine. Of course I'd order it with stacks.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
Well they kinda faded away since they (for the most part) were not worth it. I've seen a few dealers stocking them due to the fear of the new engines. I'm not sure how they even work. I don't know how much of an origional truck your able to transfer before you have to pay FET taxes as if it were a total new truck. Also I'm not sure how they're titled (year) None of this really applies to Wiggs since he's basically wanting an engineless truck. Like I said though I don't know if you can do a glider for a medium duty but Paccar and Mack and I think Western Star are basically the only companies you can actually order a "custom" truck. By custom I mean if you want 2 front steering axles that also drive and 150,000 lbs planitary rear axles you got it.

Well I know 4x4 is available I don't think they install it at the factory, I think KW takes the truck to OshKosh to have it done. A company I haul for ordered a T300 with the 8.3 to pull a goosneck for jobsite lumber delieveries and they were going to add 4wd but it was too expensive. (would take a lot of tow bills to pay for it's self) As far as making it a 4 door Bentz Transport Products does the conversion and is a factory ordered option and I think you can gold plate the interior as much as you want (let your imagination and checkbook be your guide) . They're also located just south of Fort Wayne IN so it's not like the truck would have to cross the country to be built.

I wouldn't know why you couldn't order a truck like this as a 4 door, pickup bed (or even custom like this one) 4wd air ride and without an engine. Of course I'd order it with stacks.

Thanks! What a huge help those sites are! Any idea how much you have to lift the front end of something like a W900 to make it 4x4? I have an idea for what would be the end-all-be-all of pickup trucks!!!

Quick Reply: Where To Buy a ISL 425 or ISM 500?? And Will It Work???