Notices
General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Whats the best utility mod you've done to your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front receiver for bike rack or pushing the trailer into its parking place.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strokerace
Another vote for the rear mounted lights, I picked up a couple at the local farm store and wired them to a switch so I can turn them on or off whenever I want. I originally had them wired into the reverse lights but the seperate switch is so much better. They are also great for if somebody is tailgating you at night, just flip them on real quick and it scares them to death, or blinds them, one of the two. They back off of me then.
I did the same thing with mine on my old dodge, only I had them mounted on my headache rack so I could light up my bed and a good distance around the truck.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:37 PM

Toolbox / fueltank combo and espar heater are the two things that I would not be without on my truck.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:14 PM

Sport headlights with relays Now I can actually see it was very dangerous before

toolbox, rhino liner, heated mirrors will be great when I get them done

on board air would be cool but Im gonna have to hold out on that ( too pricy)
Old 12-16-2007, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
Alright guys, just curious to see what your personally favorite utility mod is on your truck. Winches, Tool Boxes, Lighting, Lock Boxes, Under seat storage, etc. etc...(Pics would help)

I have a few. One of my fav's is having my Mag-Lite mounted on the floor next to my drivers seat, easy to get to, always know where it is, takes up un-used space, looks really clean, and only cost $10 for the brackets.

Of course the tool box is a must have, so I can lock my tools and whatnot in something besides the cab.

I also have a couple of D-rings on my hitch, makes throwing on safety chains much easier, and pulling someone out of a ditch or whatever is faster and safer.

I'll get pics up when I get my truck back...

What ideas do you guys have?
See my gallery lol

I have the most recent one a streamlight charger in my truck, but i also have a toolbox, rawson koenig, gooseneck hitch, trailer plug in bed, trailer plug in rear bumper with welded receiver and d rings, lights up front, and coming soon some helper springs...

its really hard to pick just one when all of them are so useful tho...

Rick
Old 12-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I made a mount for a vice. Receiver hitch, I got one of those cheap made in China vices that also has pipe jaws. Comes in very handy at times.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:44 PM

dont really have any mods yet.... atleast none that I could say are the best. Got alot in the works.... just nothing spectacular yet. So far, the the most used addition I've made has GOT to be the B&W Turnover hitch.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Putnam XDR Class V rear receiver hitch. Also Curt bent-plate Gooseneck hitch to mount in my 5th wheel rails. Toff Liner bed liner. Ranch hand front replacement with Milemarker 12k winch.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 AM

I like the vise idea, I could really use that sometimes. I have a B&W Hitch as well, makes for a perfect load surface without scuffing up lumber.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:17 AM

My favorite is no doubt my headache rack with auxilary lights on it. The headache rack has saved my back window a few times when loading up wood and my extra lights are a lifesaver on the dark back roads since the headlights on these trucks bite. I've also mounted d-rings in the bed for more tie down options, Soon to come is a tractor light mounted backwards on the headache rack for hooking up trailers and loading up after dark. Also thinking about switching to power/heated tow mirrors, no fun scraping ice and having to re-adjust the mirrors afterwards.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:28 AM

I bought a truck with CTD installed by the factory.
Thats got to be the best mod to date I wll keep yall posted if I get anything better that.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:35 PM

step bars and mudflaps. after going through some mud without the mud flaps and the 2 hours of cleaning afterwards and polishing out little scratches from rocks i bought them.

and the grill inserts keep alot of crud and bugs out of my rad/condensor/intercooler.

oh almost forgot utility mod lol. probably bed tie downs for strapping things in the back of the truck and my D-ring for my trailer hitch. had to pull out alot of people last year from ditches and was using my normal trailer hitch ball with a rope tied around it. not very safe.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 AM

Back seat gone, Toolbox with Mattress on top installed.
Got Lot's of storage, Limited to 1 Passenger, and can sleep whenever/whereever
I want.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:17 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by qwest
Back seat gone, Toolbox with Mattress on top installed.
Got Lot's of storage, Limited to 1 Passenger, and can sleep whenever/whereever
I want.
Thats cool. Any pics of that Setup?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:52 AM

my Cm flatbed for sure

Quick Reply: Whats the best utility mod you've done to your truck?