General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What is the best Diesel truck magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best Diesel truck magazine?

Discusssss
Old 08-16-2006, 12:34 PM

well, I like Diesel Power.

I know it looks like a Banks Power and Laguna Speed advertisement mag for the first 20 pages, but hey, those people paid the money, so in order to get a good diesel mag, I am willing to flip 20 pages without looking at them...

There is also room to still grow as far as info goes, as they are still trying to learn what people want to read and see, and I think if you were to look at the first issue, and that last issue, you will notice that us cummins people have been heard, cause they are all over them now.

The tech section needs some people who are willing to research though.

I noticed someone asked about launch shudder on an 03' 2500, and the reply was that their transmission was bad. Nothing was mentioned about the driveline angles that a TSB is out for to correct the launch shudder...
Old 08-16-2006, 12:46 PM

It smees like alot of the diesel mags are all about just building these HUGE monster trucks and making trucks drag strip ready with performance enhancers rather than give alot of quality infor on how to make a daily driver and/or work truck run more soundly and last longer.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wulfdiesel
It smees like alot of the diesel mags are all about just building these HUGE monster trucks and making trucks drag strip ready with performance enhancers rather than give alot of quality infor on how to make a daily driver and/or work truck run more soundly and last longer.

Well, in the last diesel power they did discuss about transmission upgrades after installing a lift and 35" tires....
Old 08-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Chapter President

Both of them (all I've seen) are about equal to me with the advantage of Dieselpower being 12 issues a year and being able to subscribe. To me they discuss to much 4wd aftermarket suspension (isn't that what the 4X4 mags are for?) Diesel World doesn't have as much advertising yet. That doesn't mean that they won't.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:03 PM

None of them. They all put too much into the lifted show truck ideas. I think they all need a more well-rounded aproach. Heavy towing, camping, problems, fixes, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of a lifted truck. I just don't need to see one on every page. I see enough of them around town; everybody wants the "bling" factor. Makes me want to spend $$, which I don't need to spend. I pick up the occassional Diesel Power mag to browse through. Lots of ads. Really, if I need to know what mods to do to my truck, I come here or TDR. I read through an article in Diesel Power about the Cummins/Dodge history. Nice to see it get some print, but it wasn't completely detailed, and some of the information was incorrect.

My $.00005
Old 08-17-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ludwick_j
None of them. They all put too much into the lifted show truck ideas. I think they all need a more well-rounded aproach. Heavy towing, camping, problems, fixes, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of a lifted truck. I just don't need to see one on every page. I see enough of them around town; everybody wants the "bling" factor. Makes me want to spend $$, which I don't need to spend. I pick up the occassional Diesel Power mag to browse through. Lots of ads. Really, if I need to know what mods to do to my truck, I come here or TDR. I read through an article in Diesel Power about the Cummins/Dodge history. Nice to see it get some print, but it wasn't completely detailed, and some of the information was incorrect.

My $.00005
I definately agree
we need to put heat on someone to start a new diesel magazine..
Old 08-17-2006, 05:21 PM

I didn't think much of Diesel Power at first but it has improved . The editor really does pay attention to reader comments and will respond to e-mail .
Old 08-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Banned

I think both Diesel Power and Diesel World will improve with time, give them a year or so. To judge them on thier first 6 or 7 issues is a bit unfair in my view. I think Diesel Power has made great strides since the first issue. Do I agree with everything they write, of course not. No magazine, or editorial, or book, or web forum for that matter is always going to please everyone, that is simply impossible. Right now I think I favor Diesel World, mainly because Diesel Power features a bit too much Gale Banks for my taste. I think they both feature a fair amount of content on all brands (ok maybe just a bit light on the Dodge content). Overall I like them both and think both will improve over time.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:19 PM

are these the only 2 diesel truck mags on the market?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 PM

Well how bout cummins power

I was actually considering trying to start a Cummins Power magazine featuring hey what do yah know our beautiful rigs. We can be as bias as we want then. No, I am kidding bout the bias part. I was really putting thouhgt to this features would be build ups, tests, fuel economy, dragging, truck pullin, and then tech, maybe a classified, readers rigs section so on and on. i am not sure how many of you maybe interested. I am certainly serious, but the funding would have to be sky high and I am a semi broke college student who spends every dime on my 95 12valve so give me some feed back. I will go from their maybe I can get something together and then get it out to people.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is the unmentionable magazine. they only have 4 issues a year. It is put out by a similar site that is pay only, members only. It isn't a free exchange of information, like we have come to love from DTR.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:08 PM

I love the idea of a cummins magazine
Im gonna write to cummins and ask them to publish one.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverHoss99
I was actually considering trying to start a Cummins Power magazine featuring hey what do yah know our beautiful rigs. We can be as bias as we want then. No, I am kidding bout the bias part. I was really putting thouhgt to this features would be build ups, tests, fuel economy, dragging, truck pullin, and then tech, maybe a classified, readers rigs section so on and on. i am not sure how many of you maybe interested. I am certainly serious, but the funding would have to be sky high and I am a semi broke college student who spends every dime on my 95 12valve so give me some feed back. I will go from their maybe I can get something together and then get it out to people.
Well, we could write articles.

There are enough install guides and FAQ posts on DTR every few months to make one heck of a quarterly magazine. And it would probably sell like hotcakes too, and increase traffic to the site immensly.

Want to start calling up magazine printers, Top?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Banned

We could even do a quarterly swap story, on swapping a Cummins into various other vehicles. Lot's of other things could benifit from a Cummins under the hood.

Quick Reply: What is the best Diesel truck magazine?