General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

What the.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the.....

u expect me to believe this?

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...5&o=31&fpart=1

Tx
Old 10-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun thread to read if nothing else.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Holsteinman
Fun thread to read if nothing else.
i believe it cause you see strong man competitions on tv and they pull 1 cart or an 18 wheeler things like that pulling on flat land is fairly easy even where i work at irving there were 2 empty rail cars once that the engeneir forgot to put the brakes on and a wind storm pushed them 200ft so thats y i believe it
Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Registered

ive got 2 words PROVE IT!
Old 10-14-2005, 07:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DODGE 92
i believe it cause you see strong man competitions on tv and they pull 1 cart or an 18 wheeler things like that pulling on flat land is fairly easy even where i work at irving there were 2 empty rail cars once that the engeneir forgot to put the brakes on and a wind storm pushed them 200ft so thats y i believe it

I believe it is possible, its not like he was pulling so called dead weight, all he had to do is to get it to move then the weight of the first car helps the rest. just my.02. You can actually take quaters and put them up tight behind and in front of the drive wheels of a train and it can not pull its self over them, but if it moves at all then it will roll over them Believe it or not it has been done
Old 10-14-2005, 08:51 PM

Serious pipe dreams over there boys
Old 10-14-2005, 09:33 PM

Oh please, we all know my truck could pull that through the 1/4 mile in the mid 14's...

I tell you, these Ford guys...
Old 10-14-2005, 10:08 PM

I dont know. Its hard to say. My dad works at a locla COOP and they used to use a OLD 2 cylinder John Deere to pull empty carsup to be filled 3 at a time. It dident do it very well but it did it for many years. One day they got to spinning and hopping with it and the chain cought a lug on the tire and wraped around the axle of the tractor pulling it sidways infront of a rolling car that was empty. They bailed off the tractor and the car hit it and completly destroyed the tractor. All they had to do was get it moving and it then became easy to keep moving. One person rides the car and manually activates the breaks to stop it. They then use a MUCH larger tractor with a bucket on it to push the loaded cars back down the track one at a time. I find it VERY hard to balive he could get that much weight moving but if he did it wouldent take much of anything to keep it moving.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Hey thats a BIG DEAL for them furd guys lol
Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 PM

Our old shop was next to railroad spur that a local lumber store would use. And on one occasion where an employee of the lumber store was told to unload the car with a fork lift. Long story short either the railroad didn't set the brake or they placed the car in the wrong place to where it wasn't lined up on the loading dock. He asked us for help moving the car and so we tried to help. We had a 966 caterpillar loader and a 140 G caterpillar grader chained together with the boxcar and we couldn't budge the thing.

I don't know if we were going uphill or if they were going downhill but I don't think he budged that thing with a pickup. Just my .02
Old 10-14-2005, 11:01 PM

that is just plainly insulting someone's intelligence...luckily he's doing it on the diesel stop and not here....i dont even wanna talk about this...im gonna throw up now
Old 10-14-2005, 11:04 PM

The pulling assertion is entirely believeable. The friction is almost nil, so it's merely a matter of dealing with the mass, sans drag. A railcar will move so slowly that you can barely see it -even if you are looking - in dead silence -and still take off an apendage.

This fall one of the AKRR brakemen forgot to tie down two of my dome cars (210k each). They were held in place by tension on the shore power cord. When the yard guy dropped the cord, it took 20 minutes before anybody noticed that the cars were rolling.

Put a prybar under the wheel and a couple of guys can move one. On straight and level rail you can move a rail car with a Volkswagon automatic, given enough time.

But that is the standard the Ford guys hold themselves to...

Getting going is never the tricky part.

Here are my cars: http://www.alaskarails.org/fp/McKinley-Explorer.html
Old 10-14-2005, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thats just to much ..I laugh at them
when i was a kid my best friend and i pushed a rail car with lumber on it. we just put are backs in to it and it started rolling we thought we were super kids ..till we tried to stop it that thing rolled a mile ...well we were kids everything seemed bigger then ,prolly only went 100'
Old 10-15-2005, 12:52 AM

There is no way he could have dont it....::raising the BS flag::
Old 10-15-2005, 06:06 AM

I used to load gypsum into rail cars when I was younger and with the special pry bar the make for that purpose, could move the car by my 120 lb self. Stopping it once it got moving was another story.

PISTOL