General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Watch your fuel tanks

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch your fuel tanks

I had to tow a friend to his house last night.

Here is the story:
My friend parks at a park and ride for work. Doing his part in using public transportation He gets dropped off at the parking lot. gets in his truck and starts it up. He lets his diesel warms up and all of a sudden his truck dies. He saw he has 0 fuel pressure. At first he thought his lift pump craped out and gave me a call. While he was on the phone with me and checking out his truck the guys truck next to him dies. Then this starts to happen to a few other people parked around him. Come to find out, during the day someone came to the parking lot and drilled holes in about 20 peoples gas tanks and drained them dry. They were all trucks (I guess its easier to get to the fuel tanks) Not only did they get away with thousands of dollars worth of fuel, now all those people have to buy a new fuel tank. The police said this is starting to become a common problems with park and ride lots and they have started to increase patrols in these areas.

What is this world coming too....
Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 PM

Angry

that is insane! i'm not sure what i would do... i am an MK1 down here at station monterey, 4.91 a gallon! how's the prices doing up there?? i just transferred down here from bellingham. sure do miss it up there! except for the fuel stealing! love the quote![coffee
Old 07-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

shawn, what P&R lot? that sucks.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 PM

It has been pretty steady at 4.89/gal for the past few months, but its starting to drop now, i saw it at 4.79 today

the one south of port orchard just before you hit gig harbor
Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Banned

mullenix? geez. good thing mine lives in the garage.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 PM

if fuel prices are put down stuff like that wont happen all this crime with fuel stealing is thanks to high prices. easy way fix lower fuel crime lowers
Old 07-28-2008, 03:57 PM

In the same ballpark, the owner of a local "repair" shop used a cordless drill to drill a hole in a tank he was trying to remove from a vehicle. The resulting fire nearly killed him and destroyed his shop.
Apparently, he did not think that cordless drills made sparks.

Let's nominate some of these brain trusts for the "Darwin Awards"!!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:32 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah and I was thinking about getting a locking fuel cap...A lot of good that would do, Locks keep the honest people honest..crooks get what they want when they want it.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

if only it would kill all the idiots that tried to steal it that way, it'd be another weed killer in the garden of life
Old 07-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Well the crooks have gotten even worse here. I went out to run an excavator for a guy the other day and show up to a machine with the radiator and hydro cooler missing and oil everywhere. The crooks just hooked a chain to the side of the machine and ripped the side cover off and then did the same with the radiators. I hear it has happened to more guys around here also. They have even been digging up fire hydrants around here for scrap.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 PM

Over the weekend I was woke up to banging on my front door and the doorbell ding dong ding dong ding dong several times bang bang bang on the door. This was 1:00am and quite a fright. I was quick down the stairs but DW was quicker as I listen from the top of the stairs.

"who is it" asked DW
"it's the police" said officer

Door opens as I'm down the stairs, yes she looked out the peep hole.

"we were patrolling the neighborhood and noticed you left your garage door open" says officer.

"really, it was closed when we went to bed" says dw.

"we are experiencing a high level of car theft and fuel theft in the area and wanted to make sure everything was ok" says officer

By now I'm in the garage and nothing had been touched/stolen but they say people are now using new scanning remotes to open garage doors, (I thought my remote was something like 1 in 1,000,000 for the code) they drive by hitting the button to open the door, if it opens they leave and return a few hours later to steel what every they want Cars trucks fuel tools anything in the garage. They have not been brave enough to enter a home yet. So with that fright I now make sure my garage doors are shut for the night like always but on my Sears openers I have a remote kill button so the doors can only be opened by the inside button if it's activated. Making sure everything is ship shape before bed.

It's a sad day that this has to happen.

Oh ya. I really appreciate the PO alerting us to the situation, but can you maybe make it less stressful. The banging and constant ringing about gave me a heart attach
Old 07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
500 gallons stolen from an underground tank at a local Post Office

http://newsminer.com/news/2008/jul/2...r-post-office/

Heating Oil cost $4.59/gal this week. Gotta put a lock on the oil tank at home.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:09 AM

Wow, I haven't heard anything about stuff like this happening, this is horrible! I would loose it if someone had drilled into my fuel tank! I can't believe stuff like this is happening. And as bullfrog5.9 stated, with the increase of fuel prices I guess people think it's all fun and games too drill into others fuel tanks.

When I get my next truck, I'll weld some sort of cage around my tank!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 AM

It's time to put one of those flame thrower alarm systems on.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2500Ram
"we were patrolling the neighborhood and noticed you left your garage door open" says officer.
My parents had a few phone calls from the police like that when they owned a business. It was at least a 5 mile drive to get there from home.

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
500 gallons stolen from an underground tank at a local Post Office

http://newsminer.com/news/2008/jul/2...r-post-office/

Heating Oil cost $4.59/gal this week. Gotta put a lock on the oil tank at home.
I am not sure how much was taken but this happened at my department, a FIRE DEPARTMENT of all places! Only difference is we have above ground tanks.

Quick Reply: Watch your fuel tanks