General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Watch your fuel tanks

Old 07-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone cut my fuel fuller neck in half and tried to siphon me about a month ago.
I say try, as I don't recall the fuel level dropping significantly that week.

Went to fill up one night, dumped the powerservice in and heard liquid hitting concrete.
Looked down the neck and saw daylight (well, since it was night it wasn't daylight)

Next morning I redneck repaired it, duct tape, so I could get some fuel in there.
Then hit the dealership for a new hose, $40 bucks later it was fixed.
Better a $40 hose than whatever they'd charge for a new fuel tank.

I think it happened at the park and ride lot a couple nights before.
I do have a locking cap, so at least it slowed them down a little.

phox
Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around here there has been the problem of people cutting the catalytic converters off cars that are parked at the Park and Ride's. They take them and sell them for scrap metal as they recieve about $400 a piece because of the metals used to make them.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2500Ram
Over the weekend I was woke up to banging on my front door and the doorbell ding dong ding dong ding dong several times bang bang bang on the door. This was 1:00am and quite a fright. I was quick down the stairs but DW was quicker as I listen from the top of the stairs.

"who is it" asked DW
"it's the police" said officer

Door opens as I'm down the stairs, yes she looked out the peep hole.

"we were patrolling the neighborhood and noticed you left your garage door open" says officer.

"really, it was closed when we went to bed" says dw.

"we are experiencing a high level of car theft and fuel theft in the area and wanted to make sure everything was ok" says officer

By now I'm in the garage and nothing had been touched/stolen but they say people are now using new scanning remotes to open garage doors, (I thought my remote was something like 1 in 1,000,000 for the code) they drive by hitting the button to open the door, if it opens they leave and return a few hours later to steel what every they want Cars trucks fuel tools anything in the garage. They have not been brave enough to enter a home yet. So with that fright I now make sure my garage doors are shut for the night like always but on my Sears openers I have a remote kill button so the doors can only be opened by the inside button if it's activated. Making sure everything is ship shape before bed.

It's a sad day that this has to happen.

Oh ya. I really appreciate the PO alerting us to the situation, but can you maybe make it less stressful. The banging and constant ringing about gave me a heart attach

A housepainter in my neighborhood had someone bust out the side window of his Toyota and trigger the garage remote he had clipped to his visor. Whoever it was cleaned out his tools and some stuff inside the house as well.

We have an informal neighborhood watch that usually works really well (one retired lady came out and took pictures of a guy who was obviously eyeballing a trailer that another neighbor had chained up in the front yard. She called 9-1-1 and grabbed her camera.) This time, not so much. And the lawman that came out said it was getting more common, too.

So, my garage remote is now in my lunch bucket.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 92'1stGen
Around here there has been the problem of people cutting the catalytic converters off cars that are parked at the Park and Ride's. They take them and sell them for scrap metal as they recieve about $400 a piece because of the metals used to make them.
I think there are some 3rd gen folks here that wouldn't mind losing theirs. Which park and ride offers this free service?

garrett
Old 07-29-2008, 03:50 PM

after hearing that i going to make a skid plate around the bottom of my tank and buy a locking diesel cap
Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM

if they tried that around here, there would be many sad thieves with no money for crack, as many of the kitties have mysteriously run away.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the guys on another site had a few dozen cats stolen off the u-haul rental trucks in his lot. The stuff people do for money these days. Most newer cars and trucks have plastic tanks so drilling them out is not a hard thing to do.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 PM

We had abou 80 gallons taken out of our macks while the were parked in a private community at the maintnence buildng. Then 2 weeks later both truck were hit again while in 2 different locations for another 50 or so. Its a d### shame honest working people have to pay for the same things twice because of scum bags.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bluedually4x4
One of the guys on another site had a few dozen cats stolen off the u-haul rental trucks in his lot. The stuff people do for money these days. Most newer cars and trucks have plastic tanks so drilling them out is not a hard thing to do.

I had forgotten about that. Someone stole the cat off of my Dads work truck not too long ago.

Down where I used to live the scrap yards refuse to take railroad scrap anymore because people were scrapping rail cars sitting on the siding.
People are stealing streetlight wire in LA. someone stole abunch of stuff out of a live substation the other day. Actually that is one of the new crimes in CA with all of the empty houses sitting unsold. These sorry pukes break in and knock out the sheetrock to steal the copper pipes and wiring out of perfectly good houses.
I hope I never have a run in with one of these lowlifes
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 PM

more like $50 - $200 depending on the type.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
On 1st. Gen you only need a locking cap to keep someone from dumping something INTO your fuel tank. They cannot be siphoned because the Anti Rollover Valve will block any access through the filler neck unless it was punched through into the tank and you could prevent that by tack welding a section of 1/8” steel rod across the opening.

I future project on my list.

Not sure but 2nd and 3rd Gens should be the same.
Does anyone know for sure?

Back in the late 70’s early 80’s when they had that phony gas shortage there was someone punching the gas tanks with those oil can spouts with the screw on cap that you push in and turn, after you refilled your tank they would unscrew the cap and drain out about ½ of your tank just enough so you didn’t notice it.
Jim
Old 07-31-2008, 08:15 AM

i had two guys eye balling my truck a week ago.

it was a funny site to full grown men running down the street from me only in my boxers and a pair of shoes.

at the chrysler shop i was at 8 cats went missing in one night. 6 the day after.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed crime is up. Couple of people in my nieghborhood have had their cars broken into in the last few weeks which is rare to have one at all in this area. I still can't believe someone drilled fuel tanks at the park and ride. I thought they had cameras there, the one next to highway 16 does.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:17 PM

IMO---Things like this will stop when the "pain" of getting caught exceeds the profit of the theft! Texas Law now puts a very high value on a person's possessions. It's called the Castle Doctrine.
Jay
Old 07-31-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pull Ya
IMO---Things like this will stop when the "pain" of getting caught exceeds the profit of the theft! Texas Law now puts a very high value on a person's possessions. It's called the Castle Doctrine.
Jay
in this case, the Castle Doctrine would only come into play if they were drilling and draining your tank with you or an authorized person inside the vehicle at the time.
it would probably take quite a bit of crack and stupidity for some skell to not notice the vehicle he was doing this to was occupied.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Watch your fuel tanks