General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Toyota Ad

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2 previous attempts were no match for the Big 3 in the half ton market. Watch what happens this time. This truck is the real deal. I never gave a second glance to the old Tundras,T100s or any other Toyota trucks. This truck is totally different. Drive one, you will see how impressive this truck is. Toyota has missed the mark before in the Truck market, but not this time.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:23 PM

this should clear a couple things up:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=46488
Old 03-19-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drove a new Tundra the other day and then drove a new Chev.
Other than a weird dash on the Toy...there was simply no comparison.
That Toy was way,way nicer.
Lots of power and torque.
Toyota knows it's market.
A BIG percentage of pick ups never come close to being used at their max.
That new Toy is a big, brawny 1/2 ton.
The new emission compliant diesels are getting way expensive to buy and moreso to maintain and repair.
A nice powerfull gasser is looking mighty nice....and say what you will that new Toy is one heck of a truck.
Ya know I like my Cummins...but you read about mutli thousand dolar high preasure pumps and thousands of dollars to replace injectors and you really have to wonder at the logic of a diesel, unless you are pulling real heavy or alot.
Some how I doubt the new Tundra owner will ever have some of the big, expensive repairs some of us diesel owners are saddled with.
Some have called it a piece of crap...either they have not driven it, or they have their heads up their behind.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:14 PM

The yota may be a great truck....but IMHO, its also really ugly...

I do like the fact that they seemed to have topped the domestics with the 1/2 ton full size. I hope that with the new Tundra out, Dodge Ford and Chevy come to the table with a better product in the future.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:38 PM

Toto, I could not agree with you more. The critics need to test drive this. It drives amazing!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Banned

In hovisimo's reply, a Lou Kaltenstein, the dealership President said the following: (I'm skipping #1 and #2 because they're just pointing out the innaccuracies of the recent Toyota commercial).

Lou Kaltenstein
President
Gene Norris Buick-GMC Trucks Inc./Norris Auto Group
18170 Bagley Rd
Middleburg Hts., Ohio 44130

3. And why does Toyota have bigger brake pads? They need
them....their truck is heavier. Stopping distance between our truck
and theirs is virtually identical. And why does Toyota have a 6 speed
transmission? To improve their fuel economy....which is still 2 mpg
less than ours.

4. And don't forget....their big V8 has one axle ratio -- a
4.3. Suck fuel much? Our trucks offer several axle options to
optimize towing and fuel economy. Bottom line: OUR TRUCK IS BETTER!
Spread the word.......we can all make a difference.

So basically he's argument is that the Chevy/GM truck is better because, it gets 2 mpg better and has differential options. This is part of the reason the big 3 are where they are (neglecting the effect of the unions). GM & Ford (these 2 especially) want to say, "we're better just because we are."

They have grown complacent. First they thought the Japanese can't make a good car. They were wrong. In the last 10 years they thought the Japanese can't make a full size truck. They were wrong. It takes more than just a warm-over to make a vehicle really pop for consumers. Toyota has taken great pains to find out what it is that makes a customer enjoy their vehicle (not just visual cues, but even things a customer may not overtly consider ... like the sound of the engine accelerating, etc.).

The big 3 (especially the big 2) just think because they're American they've got the market locked. I really am concerned for Ford and GM in the next 10 years as well as the residents of the Detroit metro area, and their production facility communities.

I'm a big 3 fan, although the only thing Ford has right now that halfway interests me is the Fusion, 500, and Mercury equivalent to the 500 (whatever it is). But their direction is unfocused due to having their upper managaments heads up in their rears. And the unions aren't helping either.

- JyRO
Old 03-20-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’m surprised no one has made any comment about the new GMC commercial that shows a Dura Max dually on the railroad tracks pulling at very good speed railcars; some of which are loaded with other GM trucks. Also it appears that the length of the railcars the Dura Max is pulling is over 1/4 mile long!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

Just normal advertising bull, IMHO.