General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

too much power service

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
my buddy had his bottles freeze in the bed of the truck

if Power Service freezes in the bottle laying in the back of the truck, how does it keep the fuel from freezing?

i guess it's all chemical magic, but i can't see how something that WILL freeze is supposed to keep something else FROM freezing.
I had a bottle that did the same thing in the back of my truck. After seeing this I decided to stick with good ol winter fuel from the pumps.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the fuel additives will freeze by themselves and the manufacturers will state that. Amsoil states it on their website for example. It's the reaction it has in the presence of fuel that makes it have the qualities of anti-gelling.

As far as not needing more than the recommended amount, I don't know for sure. But I run straight #2 home heating oil in my JCB loader and for the last 3 years, running the recommended amount of Power Service, my loader has gelled up when it's gotten into the single digit temperatures. This year I doubled, (maybe tripled), that amount and I haven't had any problems yet. I've been adding one 32 ounce bottle per tankful of fuel, and the tank holds 21 gallons. This year it's been colder, longer, than in the past 3 years, below zero for days at a time. So you can take this for what it's worth, just info for your perusal.

chaikwa.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 PM

I run Power Service all winter and have since I got my Ram- I have never seen the white bottle freeze in the bed of my truck or my toolbox....even below zero weather. I also know a couple guys in northern Maine who use it religiously and no reports of it freezing.....

The silver bottle has no anti gel properties....

Also- the white bottle says if your lines or tank is gelled use the whole bottle- so it will be fine, just a waste of money as everyone has said.

No Howes available locally to me, but Power Service everywhere.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Won't hurt a thing to use a whole bottle, my buddy does with every tank in his 02 and has since the truck was brand spanking new.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Banned

No Howes available locally to me
Truck stops always have it, if there's any near you...Flyin J, etc.

--Eric
Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 AM

Ok, I have never used anything and live in northen MN, the truck is only used occasionally, but has no problem running and starting at -20+ the last two years on straight fuel. Is that unnormal.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would think you should use the red (911) bottle of PS
911 additive is the same as the telephone number, for emergencies only. Use it only after your fuel has gelled.
It contains alcohol which has a drying effect on the fuel. Prolonged use strips the lubrication from your fuel causing rapid injection pump wear.

I've used straight #2 with the recommended amount of PS for over 20 years and have never had a gel up down to -35°F.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 AM

One of the things I found is that my return line for my fass was freezing here in good ol Kansas and causing my truck to shut off due to lack of fuel because of freezing.So I added the PS in the truck and it stopped but I never used additives in my truck either until it started freezing.I called cummins and they said that I might have got some of the summer stuff when I filled up and didnt realize it.So now it is hard to rely on stations to sell the stuff you need to keep from freezing.Well when I froze up a 3rd time I dumped a whole bottle of PS in the tank to get rid of the water and other crap in the tank and my truck has run fine ever since.Cummins told me a that the bottle I put in would not hurt it just dont do a whole bottle no more they said it just raises the cetane levels more to burn up the junk.I saw the stuff on my stacks and all over my dually fenders and wow you cant imagine whats in those tanks when ya fill up.So about every other tank I put about 12 oz. of PS in it and it runs very well.Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Purplezr2
Ok, I have never used anything and live in northen MN, the truck is only used occasionally, but has no problem running and starting at -20+ the last two years on straight fuel. Is that unnormal.
I think you will find most stations in MN sell winterized fuel starting sometime in late Oct until at least April 1st.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 PM

5.9Toy, I'm in Kansas also. I've never added any product to keep fuel from freezing. I've never had a problem with fuel not flowing. I use diesel in my Dodge, Ford, Case, Kubota, Deutz and Cat.----never added anything and they all start in any winter weather we've had in the last 28 years I've owned a diesel. You must by buying fuel at the wrong place!
Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D2 Cat
..never added any product to keep fuel from freezing.
The fuel doesn't freeze - it starts to form wax crystals that clog the filter. That's also why the fuel heater is built into the filter cannister.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Ok, 911 is for gelled situations and thats it. Sorry, but I have NEVER had my white bottles of Power Service freeze in my tool box or in the back of my truck.... ever. And I live where temps are EXTREME! -30 and never had it freeze. Also, you could put in 5 or 10 bottles of PS or Howes and have NO problems, I gaurentee it. Where you guys are coming up with too much is bad, I have no idea, but its not. It is though, a waist of money!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 AM

Follow the directions on your additive label.
Warm fuel and warm additive blend best to limit the wax chains forming which plug the filter. I try to fill after the truck has run for at least an hour and the additive is in the cab next to the heat vent.
I stopped using Power Service in my truck many years ago. More expensive than other brands that have the same/similar chemicals.
PS thins the additives with kerosene so they flow at colder temperatures. They market it as "Customer Convenience" packaging.
Sometimes, I use a PS jug to blend Penray with #1 diesel prior to dumping in my tank. Penray, Diesel Power, Standadyne, & other concentrated additives will sludge up in cold weather.

Treated fuel from your retail store is a crap shoot.
Back in early December we had record cold temps. I got stopped 120 miles from home due to road conditions. I walked over to the local gas station & convenience store to get some snacks and stayed a bit to talk to the owner. He took a large jug of additive and poured into his underground tank. He said his last fuel load was only rated for -10°F and we were well past that and headed for -30° that evening. He said the pumps can handle it, but the local diesels would have problems without the kicker.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ace
The fuel doesn't freeze - it starts to form wax crystals that clog the filter. That's also why the fuel heater is built into the filter cannister.
You're correct professor, I should have used the word "gelling"! Point is, fuel always flowed without me adding additive. But then again, I'm probably luckier then most.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM

I use the power service year round in every tank white and grey bottle in the appropiate season. If you intentionally put in too much or double batched, I don't think it will hurt but can't tell from personal experience.

If you mean you got a few extra ozs in a tank I think you will be fine. I use the gauge on the truck to guess, how much PS to add. I usually fill up at a half tank, so I use PS for 16 gallons. I buy the gallon jugs and have a plastic measuring cup with a mark on it in the toolbox with the PS jug. If you are over or under on each tank it will even out over time. I don't think you could over concentrate any fuel additive to the point of damaging an engine unless you really tried and put in a couple gallons per tankful for several fillups.