General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Thoughts and Opinions wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts and Opinions wanted...

So I am thinking of listing the truck for sale...its a great truck, has NEVER left me stranded and always started with the first key turn...besides the APPS issues (which are not present anymore, thx Timbo) there has not ever been an issue for me.

but.........

I got that itch...really I got the itch for a longbed..and thats IT!!!!!!

so, wondering your thoughts..

with CA...causing a ruckus with this dang smog stuff...what would you all go with.

1. 1998 QC LB 12v...hopefully an out of state build so it doenst have a CAT or EGR

2. 1998 - 2002 QC LB 24v....and not have to worry about any of it..

3. 2003-2004 QC LB 24v H.O...and not have to worry about it...

you all should notice that the factor is the QC...I could go with a 1997 12v and not have to worry at all but I need at a min...some form of 4 doors.

I wont go over a 2004 because there is a rising number of blow by issues and they all have smog equip from the factory. At least 03-04 if an HO out of state they dont have the smog stuff...kinda like the 98 12v...in state (CA) they have CAT's and EGR and other smog stuff...

Shoot it to me straight, and keep a mechanic's mind not personal perference...or atleast if it is personal preference have your reasons please.

thanks

NCA...Jake
Old 01-21-2010, 12:32 PM

pay the $3-4k and do the longbed extention conversion. it will be cheaper in the long run and you will have the same results with the truck you already love.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM

Talk to me goose..... Talk to me!!!!

What your saying is music to my ears... And it looks like the conversion is not limited to the mega cab conversion we are all so familiar with. Do you have any leads on who might do this?

Thanks

ps any other thoughts. I am still thinking of selling her
Old 01-21-2010, 06:01 PM

Jake, the 47 state 12 valves (94-98)you speak of all come with a cat, CA model or not, but the CA model 12 valves did have some egr smog equipt. When the 24valves came out mid-98 they were emissions compliant, therefor no cat on the 99-02s.
I think the longbed conversion would be nice if you really love your truck! If you do check out these links.
http://www.megacablongbed.com/
http://www.longbedmegacab.com/
http://www.innovativecustoms.net/mega_cabs.php

I called a company a couple years ago about converting my QC SB 04.5 to a longbed, seemed like a reasonable price at the time. Plus it should not be hard to find a white longbed as many are removed in exchange for utility beds.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 PM

State,

My understanding is that a 1998.5 12v long bed did not have a cat or egr...

Thanks for clearing that up...

I have a bead on a 1998.5 QC LB 12v...unknown if it is a CA or not...based upon year and model.....your saying that it...

WILL have a CAT...but might not have anything else.

I will take a look at the links later...I guess that my concern is saftey of the frame and having to get it cert'd in order to keep it from being declared a salvage title...there isnt much that I can find in the way of "frame" modification that would keep it from Salvage...

how is it that you cant have bends in a frame more than 1/8" in most cases and if it is more than that they wont straighten and consider it totaled and a slavage title...

But you can CHOP a frame in half and call it good to go...

is the hassel worth it for me...I dont know, I would imagine phone calls to INS co. would need to be made, State DMV, SMOG referee's to get frame cert'd etc.etc.etc.

Whatcha think.....this truck (at least on this forum) seems to be one of the FEW 24v VP trucks that have been problem free...maybe its becasue the origional owner took good care of it and I continued to do that...

AHHHHHHHH...maybe my eyes are bigger than my stomach...lol

Jake
Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 PM

Just me Jake - But I would stick with what you have.

If I had a quad-cab or any extended cab, it would have to be a short-bed.

Contentment is rare - but pure bliss! Try being content with your current truck.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
Just me Jake - But I would stick with what you have.

Contentment is rare - but pure bliss! Try being content with your current truck.
Funny thing is your not the first to tell me this...

All the boys at the FD..(who sure enough are FERD heads) think I should keep what I have....

maybe its becasue they really deep down inside, but would never admit it, really really really do wish they had listened to this young buck and got a DODGE/CUMMINS cuz more then one of them have had to use this shoulder of mine to cry on when there FERD is BACK IN THE SHOP AGAIN.....

Thanks

NCA
Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 AM

Im pretty sure the 98 QC LB 12v you speak of will
1. Have a CAT.
2. If its from CA. will have an EGR system.

Another question though. Why do you feel the need for a longbed?
Im not saying you should not get one. Eveyone has the right to be happy w/ what they have and I feel what your are going through with your short bed.
My 04.5 was a short bed/Auto and I got the bug to have a long bed. Looking back I could have kept/delt with my short bed, but I dont know how long I could have dealt with the auto...just really wanted a man. trans.
Ill never get rid of my 98. So my next truck may very well be a short bed. I dont think Ill ever need two 3/4 ton long bed trucks! But it will me a manual trans. Let us know what your thinking.

Scott
Old 01-22-2010, 05:16 PM

State,

I hear ya about the LB v SB...

and your delima on MT V AT...

for me its simple AT....before I had the "BIG GIRL" I had a 1500 gasser that I used to tow a small boat...

I had a stick and I absoutly hated the "clutch" game backing the boat down the ramp..

I guess I should have said that even more than the boat ramp issue is the BAY AREA TRAFFIC clutch game...if I had country roads and small towns I probally would be right there with ya on the MT issue....but try bumper to bumper trafic on a major freeway 5 out of 7 days a week to get home and your begin to HATE a clutch.

If I were to think rationally I would probally say to myself....why make the switch for the exact same truck with 2 extra feet of bed....how much will I use the extra bed lenght...probally not enough to justify a sell and purchase...but we want what we want and right now I want a longbed...lol

Man it sucks....most of the reason stem's from the appearance aspect...I want to do a mild lift. maybe 3" and to me a shortbed truck just looks retarded lifted. Even on a small lift (more so the higher u go) a longbed completes the look..

Sappy I know but it is what it is....

NCA