General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

subaru diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subaru diesel?

do any of you fella's know if this might ever happen? I search online and the closest thing I can find is something coming out this year. fat chance. Im finally in financial position to actually consider a new car, and a 45mpg legacy would fit the bill.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if they are ever going to get serious about a diesel or not. I do know that if they ever do and the quality is anywhere near what my other 2 scooby's are I will look real hard at buying one. One subaru forum that I like to read from time to time is http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/ they are a pretty good bunch of guys and pretty helpful.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Check out Motor Trend. They mention the diesel-powered 2010 Subaru Forester 2.0D. I want one myself.

I had an 84 Subaru GL and that thing was built like a tank.
I miss it!

Motor Trend:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...sel/index.html
Old 02-04-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Id go will the diesel accord

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007...a_bringing.php

Of course I dont know if EPA is going to allow it yet
Old 02-04-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, they have developed a diesel, but whether or not the states will see it is a different question.

By conventional wisdom, a flat cylinder arrangement was not practical for a diesel, due to the fact that diesels need a long stroke, and you can only stroke a boxer so far before the pistons interfere with one another.

Subaru reduced the size of the bore, to help raise compression, and made the block taller to get the length of stroke they required. The taller (or wider) block made it not fit in between the frame rails of their current production models. To overcome this, Subaru reduced the height of the head, which they were able to do since a diesel does not require a combustion chamber like a gasoline engine does.

Their diesel engine still has the 2.5 liter displacement, with a smaller bore, and a longer stroke that was achieved by raising the deck of the block. With the shorter heads, the engine ends up having total outside dimensions being very similar to their existing gasoline motors. The DPF sits up front at the bottom of the engine directly at the outlet of the turbocharger.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 AM

couple of vids from utube

animated one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G5TcWg0TMc

japan clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df5pvJ1Udvk&NR=1

At idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo9wRfd4QkI&NR=1

these engines seem to have a large fanbase, outside the US

Im a fan of their gasser boxer, an amazingly robust engine. In the diesel form, I'd love to see it with 2 separate turbochargers and intercoolers. More expensive, yes, but it eliminates a lot of the intake and exhaust plumbing needed to feed 2 intakes located 2'+ apart.

EDIT: found one but its a gasser, looks like maybe they share the intercooler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Subaru_EJ20TT.jpg

Last edited by 93wuntun; 02-05-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: add link
Old 02-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The reason you won't see a twin turbo version is because its next to impossible to get a tall compressor map (i.e. high pressure) in a turbocharger that provides air for an engine that doesn't take much lb/min. It is a trade off between best performance, and ease of plumbing. It sucks, but only in a perfect world the easiest plumbing provide the best performance.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lgp9999,

Thanks for that post!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by kthiemann
I do know that if they ever do and the quality is anywhere near what my other 2 scooby's are I will look real hard at buying one.
I had a 2002 WRX and it steered me FAR away from subaru in the future...

Those idiots put a catalytic converter BEFORE the turbo. I was laying into it one day (as they show on the amazing commercials) and the thing starts running like a stink pickle in the river! I pull everything apart to find a chunk of catalytic converter in the turbine. It happened to me 4 other times and when I took it to the dealer they told me it is normal wear and tear but next time it happens I can take it to them and they will take out the piece of converter from the turbo. Thats a nice offer if I can actually DRIVE the car to them!

Another time I had a tick in 1st gear (sounded like a missing tooth but im no technician). I called the service center on a Monday they said drive it until Saturday, which was the first availible appointment. I even told them it didnt sound healthy when I drove it. Wednesday it blows up big time and it stirred gears around in neutral. Ended up dragging it backward to my house with my brother's 92 blazer Then a flatbed from my house to the shop. Took almost 2 months for them to fix that!

ANOTHER time my window bound up and wouldnt go up. Of course it was raining that week, would my luck go any other way? Turns out the actuator was bolted to sheet metal inside the door and it shimmied a little then it shimmied alot and bent everything all up. The jigger riggers in the shop ended up "fixing" it by welding a washer to the aluminum can sheet metal where the gaping hole was. In the end I sold that tird, bought a motorcycle and a beater truck while I was saving for a diesel because the bike didnt get me too far in the rain. Havn't been happier since.

If you want something with decent fuel mileage and dependability? Get a civic, the new ones dont look that bad and can be had for around $20k. I bought a beater to use as a commuter for $3k and if it died tommorow it wouldnt owe me a thing.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up Subaru.

Interesting prior post. My friend is general manager of Bob Baker Subaru and hates selling Subarus because after the sale he's not seeing many except for routine maintenance. The new ones have much nicer,roomier interiors and the performance with the turbo equipped models reminds me of the cars I grew up with in the '60's-'70's. Can you say "throttle response"? Offroad they ride so well it puts our Pilot to shame.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't sound good for this year at this point. Below is from an e-mail request for information on a subie forum from this member..

Subaru of America, Inc.
to me
show details 3:05 PM (3 hours ago)
from Subaru of America, Inc. <CustDlrServices@subaru.com>
reply-to CustDlrServices@subaru.com
to xxxxxx@xxxx.com
date Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM
subject RE: Availability 2010 Subaru Outback
mailed-by subaru.com

Dear Daniel:

Thank you for your e-mail to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Our chairman Ikuo Mori was actually misquoted by reporters when he originally stated that Subaru would bring our diesel to the US in 2010. He had meant in the 2010(s). Since that time there have been many re-interpretations of this statement posted to various blogs throughout the Internet.

Further complicating the issue is that the original statement was made in 2008 after we launched vehicles in Europe but before the drop in the economy last Fall 2008. Subaru as well as every other company had to re-organize in the wake of this volatile market and consequently any future plans have gone under re-examination.

At this time, we have not been made aware of any set plans as to when we will offer diesel models stateside since these past events and statements.

Please know that I am a proponent of clean and bio-diesel and I too am eagerly awaiting any news. If you wish for this product to be offered please make sure to encourage others who share your interest to contact us, as past input from our customers has been helpful in initiating changes to our newer models.

Should any decisions be made as it relates to offering such a vehicle stateside, you will among the first notified, I promise!

As for the mirrors with integrated turn signals, I believe the dropping of this feature was a cost-saving measure, but I will pass along you interest in this option as well.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Best wishes,

Kerry Ann Miller
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
Old 02-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Why wait, the germans make a pretty fair diesel themselves. 44 mpg with an automatic tranny, and A/C on going 80mph (my beetle). Passat, new beetle, and jetta. I have never owned a subaru, but I really love the boxer design, when my VW wears out, I would try the subaru diesel. - - - - - - - I forgot, you probably want a 4WD.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Subarus are awd exclusively I believe.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 417 Likes on 319 Posts
I have two Subarus (his/hers) and would gladly trade one or both for a diesel model.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:18 PM

The wife has an 09 Forester. If they released a diesel model, I would trade it in for one today!

Quick Reply: subaru diesel?