General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

the stupidest thing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the stupidest thing

the stupidest thing happened to me the other day, i left my house, i live in town and saw one of my buddys headed towards me, well i decided to leave a cloud for him to drive through and i made it about 3 city blocks and looked back and kojak himself was on my tail. the cop followed me for another 3 blocks then pulled me over, he asked me what i was doing dumping all that fuel into my engine and making smoke out of the stack i told him everything i had on the truck was street legal, thats when robo cop pulls up and tells me that having a stack is an altercation to the vehicles exhaust system and is illegal, i told him if i had exhaust straight out the back it would put the smoke right on a person instead of up in the air, then he said a muffler would cut my smoke out and i told him it wouldnt, all in all i got a warning and kojak said that if he ever sees it again hell take me straight to jail for wanton endangerment or attempted murder, but i just got a warning for being a nuisance to the public
Old 05-08-2005, 06:08 PM

Wow, it's come to this.... putting too much fuel into a motor, and it's endangerment and attempted murder It's amazing what people will do these days.... But yet ole joe smoe can drive down town with his truck 75% rusted, falling apart, and full of junk that would kill somebody if they touched it, and let them drive skip free.... Good ole America.
2ndly they'll pull you over cause there jelous
Old 05-08-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
He was right though, it is illegal in all fifty states to alter the stock exhaust system in any way.
Fortunatly it's rarly inforced.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:15 PM

ha ha.. Sounds like a local cop on a power trip
Old 05-08-2005, 07:16 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by infidel
He was right though, it is illegal in all fifty states to alter the stock exhaust system in any way.
Fortunatly it's rarly inforced.
That would pretty much put Flow Master out of business, huh? I've never heard that one. Pretty broad term "alter", I've know many people to pretty much drive from the Dealership to the mufler shop to hack off the entire system and replace it with something that flows and let's you hear the vehicle. Here in MD, we only have to inspect when changing ownership. Emmisions is leaving Diesels alone for now, gassers are hooked up every two years. But, our system is new, so there is still room for the state to generate more money when they decide to.
I can't wait till my truck spews, I remember the first time I saw a diesel truck with mods, you remember, "What the heck is wrong with that truck, hey.... wait a minute, THATS COOL!!!!!!"
?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:30 PM

super cop

yeah there all on a power trip, the bad thing is that they all ride motorcycles and come through our city park running mach 10 not even payin attention to kids or even me, and theres farmers around here who have macks that smoke alot too and this is such a farming community they wont bother them, i would put a muffler on my truck and bring it out the back if thats what they wanted but IMO they should be more worried about drug dealers and theives in our bad part of town than people who actually abide by the law and just like to have a little fun, they can have fun on there cycles why cant i in my truck, oh and me and 3 other guys are getting stickers made saying Got SMOKE M.P.D. just to make them mad
Old 05-08-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Bill's right. Any alteration to the emissions system, including any alterations to the exhaust is against federal law.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:53 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not doubting it's true, just think it's stupid.
97% of people aren't going to TOUCH their system until it rots off and is dragging down the road underneath them. Some L.E.O's need to concentrate on real problems, not just pick on the easy ones.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:20 PM

Luke H. What part of Kentucky are you from. They would hate me.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
97% of people aren't going to TOUCH their system until it rots off and is dragging down the road underneath them.
I think it's closer to 100%. Good friend who owns a muffler shop is barely making it and about to close down.
His main reason is that exhaust systems on the newer rigs seem to last forever.
The federal law that forbids altering the stock exhaust doesn't come under emission rules but rather comes under the Noise Control Act.
http://www.nonoise.org/epa/act.htm
Old 05-09-2005, 07:32 PM

I might be mistaken, but I think the law is to alter it in a way that is not comparable to stock. So yes, you could put a flowmaster in... but you could not run duals on it. So yes, while it is better in for a smoker to put it out up top through stacks... it is illegal to do so. Then the other part about "wanton endangerment or attempted murder" is because such a cloud can cause someone to lose sight of the road and go off the road. I believe I heard of someone up here in Seattle that smoked an intersection and caused a person on a bike to go off the road and got caught in some barbwire... guy lost his truck and much more because of that if I recall correctly.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I fail to see how a police officer who could easily have written you a ticket for the smoked out street but instead gave you warning and explanation, could possibly be seen as on a power trip. I love to see a good smoke show at the track or fairgrounds, but smoking out a street or some other driver is, in my humble opinion, pretty much a childish act or sign of personal insecurity. What could you have to prove? You already drive the best truck and your buddy probably envies you every time he sees you. So, lay off the smoke where you might get someone seriously injured or killed, and show off at the track or pulling run instead. Bashing a guy who let you off easy is not cool or mature. Talk with the guys on this board who have actually had to go to court over their stacks purely on noise or the "Alteration from Stock" charge and lost. They aren't overly pleased about it either, but we need to get the law changed, not gripe about those who have to enforce it. Offsoapboxnow.