General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Snow plowing, Whats the best equipment

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow plowing, Whats the best equipment

Hi

I work for a company in Norway, we have 6 Ford F250 Super Duty diesel trucks ( 2001-2002 ) that we use with Blizzard plows.
This equipment works pretty well.
Biggest problem is too much weight at front axle, we dont get tru a tech inspecsion with this equipment.
We are now thinking of buying more small trucks and plows.
We have over 2000 km roads to plow, and plow some of the hardest mountain passes here in Norway.

What brand trucks is best suited for plowing ?

What brand plow is the best ? without overloading front axle.

How much more can we load the front axle on a 350(0) ?

Frode
Old 09-11-2009, 04:24 PM

Wow - unusual situation for certain.

Not knowing the regulations over there, and taking into account over 2000km of roads, with hard mountain passes - I would be thinking heavier, not lighter, overall.

But I guess my intial thought is toward a M-B Unimog. They are NOT cheap, but they are designed for exactly what you are describing - way out there, high passes, hard use, and with the ability to crawl over just about anything. It's going to cost your company, but they have any type of plowing options you could need. Here's an article I found that may intrest you: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/th...2009-4231.html

I think you need something other than a standard pickup, I guess is what I;m saying. Hope this helps...
Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Hi
I live in montreal(canada)and here the winter is rough
some street plower use tenco equipement on 3500 pick up
9 feet front plow and 10 feet side wing (steel frame and plastic covering)
this system seem to work very well
Old 09-11-2009, 06:13 PM

Why are you failing inspection? Do you need a certain plow size? If you need to run the same size plow and you want to keep diesel, you need to move up to trucks with a larger front axle rating. I am guessing your plows combined with the diesels weight, puts you over your ratings. Are you driving truck with plow packages. This is usually a heavier rated front axle, springs, etc. Your other option is go gas as the engine is lighter.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 PM

Hi
We have the heavy equipment.
We use the small truck for easy plowing, runs ceaper when we dont need a big truck.

the problems with the Fords and Blizzard plow is too much weight at front axle, and we will be stopped in weight controls.

So what I am looking for is a light truck with a plow package that goes tru a weight control. And it must be a diesel.
Attached Thumbnails Snow plowing, Whats the best equipment-img_0501.jpg   Snow plowing, Whats the best equipment-img_0541.jpg  
Old 09-12-2009, 11:35 PM

Like the other guys have said, it's hard not knowing what reg's are over there. When I plowed for the city we had 1 ton's with a dump bed and Meyer plows for doing smaller side streets.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:36 PM

You can attempt to look at the F350 single rear wheel models. It appears they get more front axle capacity according to Ford's website here. Ford, Dodge and GM trucks with the diesel aren't good for plowing if you need to keep your weights in check as the diesel engines and transmissions are just too heavy.
Search for a website called 'Plowsite' on the web. That may help some.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:12 AM

when the town owned my w250, they pushed an 11ft fixed angle funnel plow with it every winter for 11 years, on every road the town maintained. it was the largest truck in the fleet................
Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by jkitterman
You can attempt to look at the F350 single rear wheel models. It appears they get more front axle capacity according to Ford's website here. Ford, Dodge and GM trucks with the diesel aren't good for plowing if you need to keep your weights in check as the diesel engines and transmissions are just too heavy.
I'd get dual wheels just to have more weight in the rear to counter the plow weight . Of course you could always find some type of material to put in the bed .
Old 09-14-2009, 02:29 PM

I would think a Unimog M 20 would work very well. Check it out here:

http://www.autoevolution.com/trucks/...-u20-2007.html
Old 09-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jkitterman
ford is the only one that actually realizeds not that long ago that a big truck with a diesel needs higher front spring capacities. so a newer f-350 single rear wheel will do better. or you could step up to a 450 or 550.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
I'd get dual wheels just to have more weight in the rear to counter the plow weight . Of course you could always find some type of material to put in the bed .
That might help with traction but you will still have the same amount of steel hanging off the front end. It won't matter how much weight you put back there, you can't fool physics and gravity.

I think he is asking about a lighter plow that will withstand the same amount of torture as the blizzard does. I read that they are having problems with the law and the front axle being too heavy. I think they want to stay with the same light duty type pickup.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
My first response would be to tell the weigh people to get a shovel and plow their own **** snow. That being said. Plow weight is everything. If it is too light it will float on top and do little to nothing. It has to be heavy enough to cut through to the road surface. Then the vehicle pushing it has to be heavy enough to maintain traction. The trouble is most pick ups have no to little reserve weight capacity, even a 1 ton on the front end. Your option is either to modify the pickup or go to an even heavier truck, one with enough reserve.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:10 PM

Yes we want to stay with the light duty pick up, we use this trucks to other tings than just plow.
The weight people dont care if I tell them to go to ****** , funny thing its only the Fords they wanna put on the weight, they dont care abaut the big trucks.
And we cant buy these trucks new here anymore, has buy used so we cant order them like we want to.
How do the Dodge front end holds up with a plow on the nose ? we may be looking on some gen 3 trucks.
Found a dealer who could sell a 2007 with 760 kg load capacity on the front axle, He is aking ca $ 85 000 for it.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:31 PM

IIRC the ford have a snow plow prep option which gives you 9k front axle weight raiting and dual alternators.. Not sure what your front weight is rated at but might be worth takin a gander at fords site. This way you can maintain tw blizzard plow and be legal at the weight checks.

Quick Reply: Snow plowing, Whats the best equipment