General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Routine during fillup.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Routine during fillup.

I was just thinking about this today when I filled up. What do you normally do when filling up your truck and not in a hurry. I set the pump on medium flow and check tire pressure. After finishing up with the tires I wash the windshield and do a quick visual check of the truck. By that time the tank is usually full. You guys any different?
Old 03-31-2004, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, that's about it.

I start by looking at what is coming out of the nozzle to make sure it is that nice shade of Diesel greenish.
Set it on medium as well.

Then, after the pump clicks off,
I stand there for another 3 minutes fighting the foam till I get the tank actually full.

Tried the "finger over the hole" trick mentioned a couple weeks ago, but for some reason, the nozzles at the stations I frequent don't seem to have any holes?

Every other fillup or so I check the oil for quality and quantity, eyeball the coolant overflow and washer fluid while I'm in there, as well as the air filter (outerwears prefilter anyway).

phox
Old 03-31-2004, 10:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to just listen to my truck's sweet sound, but since the FASS install, I have to enjoty that as the turbo cools, and shut her down before fill up. I don't do anyhting else, but fill it up at the time. No fighting foam, after it clicks off twice, rounded up to the next buck, I'm all done.

Chris
Old 03-31-2004, 11:04 PM

Start pumping fuel then write down the odometer and trip meter. After it clicks off, slowly fight the foam till it reaches the top. Then write down the gallons and figure my fuel economy. Reset trip, and hit the road. Same thing for almost 260000 miles now.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I do the same as Stamey. Never fight the foam. Save checking fluids and tires till the rig is cold. Do reset the trip meter and record it on the receipt the pump spits out. Figure out the mpgs when the center console starts filling up with receipts.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:43 AM

Not me. I set mine on slow. No foam there either I just walk around the truck and think , the ole 96 is still runnin at 296K.

..Preston..
Old 04-01-2004, 08:19 AM

Set fuel speed on medium, wash windshield and back window, pop the hood and drain the water from the water/fuel seperator and check oil, coolant, washer fluid at same time. Every other fillup, add a Diesel Additive to lube the lift/fuel pump, clean injectors, etc. Reset overhead console and trip odometer. Write down miles and gallons for mpg calculation later...

Once a week, I check tire pressures in a.m. before moving truck...you can't really get an accurate reading when they're hot cause they expand and pressure's will be 5-10psi higher.

Smile and wave at the guy's with the Hemi's that are getting 10-12mpg...
Old 04-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Cummins66
Start pumping fuel then write down the odometer and trip meter. After it clicks off, slowly fight the foam till it reaches the top. Then write down the gallons and figure my fuel economy. Reset trip, and hit the road. Same thing for almost 260000 miles now.
Pretty much the same routine here....except that I wash my windows at every fill up. Dirty windows bother me. I also give my tires a good kick to make sure they're hard enough to break a toe if need be.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Much the same for me in the visual checks, log book for mileage etc.

A trick for the foam is when you get near the top of the tank, you stop, pull the nozzle out and hold the handle way down so the fuel has to come up out of the spout into the filler.. Slowly start the fuel flow and the foam is gone. You should be able to go slow enough just to see clear fuel going into the tank.

I noticed some of the fuel stations have pretty sensitive nozzles, I fill at a location that has good control of the nozzle.

J-eh
Old 04-01-2004, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Hoss
Pretty much the same routine here....except that I wash my windows at every fill up. Dirty windows bother me. I also give my tires a good kick to make sure they're hard enough to break a toe if need be.
Exactly what I do. Dirty windows bother me to Hoss. So your not alone.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:14 PM

If you washed your truck every day like I do, you wouldn't have dirty windows.

..Preston..
Old 04-01-2004, 06:50 PM

All I do is watch the powderstroke guys and the dudamax guys stare at my stacks, write down miles and be glad I bought a Cummins.
carty
Old 04-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Addendum to my routine.

I always get a reciept, if I pay with cash, check, or credit card.
That way if I get a load of bad fuel, water, algae, or even gasoline,
I have proof of gallons pumped,
out of a supposed Diesel pump,
and date pumped.

I write my mileage and gallons on the old reciept in my wallet, replacing it with the new one.
Then I figure my mileage based on what I wrote on the old one.

phox
Old 04-02-2004, 12:13 PM

Pull up, fill up, fight foam, write down miles and gallons, figure mpg, do a visual inspection of my truck and clean the windshield. I also do not like dirty windows.

Dawna
Old 04-02-2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by BigBlue
Exactly what I do. Dirty windows bother me to Hoss. So your not alone.
You havve the weirdest obession with keeping windows clean. Like whenever a rain drop hits it he wipes it off. lol

Quick Reply: Routine during fillup.