General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

rotella 5-40

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have run it for 2 years and starts like a dream in -20F also pull a 20' loaded trailer in the summer and seldom gets over 200F, always got over 200F with 15w-40.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing many people don't know or have forgotten is that your oils flow point is about 30 degrees warmer the its pour point. So if the oil your using has a pour point of -36 below zero its flow point is only -6 below and that means at -25 below zero your oil is not going to flow very well in your engine until it gets warmed up. Remember your internal engine parts get a lot of wear on cold start ups so its very important to use oil that flow well at all times but its even more important in the winter.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Kind of on the fence myself about Shell Synthetic CJ-4 as I got an oil analysis back that had some wear metals in it at around 7500miles WITH a bypass filter. Mileage, startup, and power is good but I have been debating a better oil. Is the flow rate any better for valvoline synthetic? Recommend anything better other than Amsoil or Redline? Should I think about changing the regular filter every 5k?

Some said something once about Valvoline CI4+ from Geno's in another thread? Id get some if I could find it on their site.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:31 PM

i have a question, whats the difference between cj and ci oil? this will be my first winter where it will be colder than 30F so im try to learn all this info
thanks, sal
Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 AM

CJ oils were brought out for the implimentation of ultra low sulphur fuels and mainly the post 2007.5 engines with Tier III emissions. Not alot of studies have been done on these oils and supposedly alot of the additives were removed that were beneficial for engine life in the past. Some say they work just as well but Id like to see some testing of the old versus the new.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 94ram
i have a question, whats the difference between cj and ci oil? this will be my first winter where it will be colder than 30F so im try to learn all this info
thanks, sal
The new oil has less ZDDP (zinc), because that can damage the cat and raise emissions. ZDDP is an anti-wear additive.

The only place this seems to matter is the lifters. On a flat tappet cam, it's easy to wipe out a cam lobe in a very short time. As best as I could tell, my Cummins has flat tappets (no roller at the bottom)

I'm not too worried about my cat (it's under warrenty). If it goes bad, it will be slow and only takes about an hour to change it. But I don't want to be without a truck for a month in the middle of racing season because of a bad cam lobe. So I added two bottles of Comp Cams break in additive. It's cheap at Summit Racing.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 AM

Bob have you done any oil analyis with the ZDDP additive. Just curious. I know there are some store bought products also that have the zinc additives.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ripping r
why?
running twins and a bypass with hot oil its just to thin and I dont like the drop in pressure if you live were its 40 below and dont plug in maybe fine but 5w is just to thin in the summer.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by renopker
running twins and a bypass with hot oil its just to thin and I dont like the drop in pressure if you live were its 40 below and dont plug in maybe fine but 5w is just to thin in the summer.
ok. but there both 40w when hot i see no change in my pressure when hot. and it gets 120 here in the summer. but i dont have a bypass or a 12 valve.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by purduepurdy
Bob have you done any oil analyis with the ZDDP additive. Just curious. I know there are some store bought products also that have the zinc additives.
No, I havn't. The dealer did an oil change when I bought it last December. I'v only driven it about 3K miles this year. I"ll change it again in Nov/Dec, and then I'll send a sample to blackstone.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ripping r
ok. but there both 40w when hot i see no change in my pressure when hot. and it gets 120 here in the summer. but i dont have a bypass or a 12 valve.
The hipe of the 5w40 in a synthetic is that it has the same careeristic of Dino but really it is the word LIKE 5w40 its not ,heat em both to 200f and pour them .
Old 10-09-2009, 02:51 PM

I think 5w-40w is fine for Canada & cold climes in the winter. 15W-40 for the summer. I think 5k & new filter & oil is highly recommended for all CTD's, or whatever the owners manual says for severe duty.
For CJ, Cummin recommends the Valvoline 15W-40, best TBN numbers, I believe. CI+4 is a betetr oil for Pre 07, better additive package. You can not find CI+4 that much anymore. Valavoline still sells it, but you would have to have a store order it for you. Most will not.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by supr
I think 5w-40w is fine for Canada & cold climes in the winter. 15W-40 for the summer. I think 5k & new filter & oil is highly recommended for all CTD's, or whatever the owners manual says for severe duty.
For CJ, Cummin recommends the Valvoline 15W-40, best TBN numbers, I believe. CI+4 is a betetr oil for Pre 07, better additive package. You can not find CI+4 that much anymore. Valavoline still sells it, but you would have to have a store order it for you. Most will not.
There are several companies still making/selling CI-4 oil...Tractor Supply Company sells the Mysic JT8 in a CI-4+, and any John Deere dealership carries John Deere oil in a CI-4+ too...
I've seen a few others but those are the most common and easiest to get without ordering....
I've been running the Mystic brand since day one; no problems!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
Maybe so, but it only hits -40*C here a few times a winter. I can tell you it flows much better than a standard dino oil. Had to boost my buddie's 6.7 last winter because his engine couldn't turn over fast enough. Gotta love 15w40 dino oil in -30... He switched to 5W40 synthetic after that mishap.

All I know is that my truck stays plugged in when its that cold. I'm not stupid when it comes to the cold and engines. I'll probably put a pan heater on soon.
Espar. Never plug in again!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by hivoltage
There are several companies still making/selling CI-4 oil...Tractor Supply Company sells the Mysic JT8 in a CI-4+, and any John Deere dealership carries John Deere oil in a CI-4+ too...
I've seen a few others but those are the most common and easiest to get without ordering....
I've been running the Mystic brand since day one; no problems!
Agreed Mystic looks like a good oil and it is cheap. Wish they made a synthetic. Only issue I have is that Mystic is made by Citgo which is Chavez oil. Anyone know of a synthetic CI-4+ still commonly available. Saw royal purple($$$) in a local autozone.

Quick Reply: rotella 5-40