General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ram 2500 VS GMC 2500 Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the lifetime extended warranties worth the money on the Ram? Has anyone purchased them?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long are you keeping the truck? Those extended warranties are money in their pocket IMHO.. Always has to be exact to the book or its not covered (depending on dealer sometimes) but I say put that money in a savings account somewhere and use it when you need it.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
How long are you keeping the truck? Those extended warranties are money in their pocket IMHO.. Always has to be exact to the book or its not covered (depending on dealer sometimes) but I say put that money in a savings account somewhere and use it when you need it.
x2. Chances are, that money will come in more handy than the extended warranty.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:57 PM

I am planning on keeping the truck as long as I can. I have had my GMC for 14 years. I have had very little in the electronics go out but then it does not have all the bells and whistles of a modern truck. I did have the radio go and had to put in an aftermarket one because the OEM was twice as much as the aftermarket radio.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got to ad that I was in the same situation seven years ago- couldn't decide between the two. My parents had just bought a Duramax which was pretty nice. We'd always been a Chevy family. I drove theirs around, test drove a couple at the dealer, drove the Dodge and it just felt right- you know, like you're favorite worn pair of jeans or work boots- almost like I'd owned it for years already (even though the only Dodge I'd owned was a Dakota some years before that moment). So going against our "religion", I bought the Dodge. The 7/70 warranty and $4k less was icing on the cake. Have not regretted it once.

They recently sold the Duramax, it was a good truck. The two trucks have had similar use and about equal repair & maintenance costs. Mine got slightly better mpgs, better seating position (higher) and way better throttle response- the Duramax a superior trans. I had the chance to sell mine instead and buy theirs. No way.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:40 PM

If you don't need the longbed get the mega.

When you say 2010 is it the new style? I thought the new style was 2011??
Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bnold
For the differences in power available this year.. I don't know why anybody would choose the Dodge over the other two right now.. Dodge consistently finishes dead last in all the 'Big 3 testing' I've seen... Seems like the $8k is the only thing holding Dodge in line with the others...
This kind of logic drives me crazy. And, I think, it's why Ford is still able to sell their stuff considering the dismal record they've had of reliability.

If someone is only interested in buying a truck based on the test numbers and a magazines recommendation, fine, get the Ford.

If you look a bit deeper, the Chevy is a way better choice than Ford.

If you plan on using it to tow or you plan to keep it a long time, then look at the Dodge. Down a bit on HP, "only" 350 hp, but a few horsepower means nothing if you install a Smarty later. And if you do, the mileage will go up as well as the power. It's silly to buy a truck simply because it can advertise a few HP over another.

The big difference, for me, is the Cummins engine. It is just a towing machine! It has a built in engine brake. And the service is so simple! You can actually reach in an work on it. It has 1/3 fewer parts than the Chevy V8, it's all iron, and they are famous for their reliability. They also have a solid front axle.

Another thing is that Chevy and Ford use exhaust fluid and the Dodge doesn't. That's huge.

So just decide what's important and go with the best choice for you.

I like the Chevy too, but it's not the truck the Dodge is. It has independent suspension and a frame that hangs way down reducing ground clearance. They just seem more fragile and designed for lighter duty and creature comfort. Those are good things too, but they don't overshadow the value of the Cummins.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=Raspy;2863617]This kind of logic drives me crazy. And, I think, it's why Ford is still able to sell their stuff considering the dismal record they've had of reliability.

If someone is only interested in buying a truck based on the test numbers and a magazines recommendation, fine, get the Ford.

If you look a bit deeper, the Chevy is a way better choice than Ford.

QUOTE]

Down boys.. admittadly just stirring the pot a bit after reading some of those 'mags'

Fun to hear the responses year to year depending on who is on top power wise... I can hear it now Dodge on top beating GM and Ford by 5hp in 2015 (will prolly be up to 475hp then )... "tons more power, no other choice for a towing machine! have to get the dodge"

Personally I dont trust any of the new trucks yet... New bodies, new emissions, new magic juice in two of them.. eh.. I'll stick with my 01 for now... Park nose down on a hill and have a zip tie ready, no electronics or funny gizmos needed.. I'll have to 'upgrade' sooner or later, interested to real world reliability first... Oh ya and a price tag that wasn't above the 50k mark would be good too...

Quick look at a NEW 2010 FERD 250 super cab xlt 4x4... $48,000... Same truck 20,000 miles $30,000.... almost a $1 per mile... That math is scary...
Old 10-24-2010, 07:33 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That math is scary!

I just read on another site where a guy was gleefully telling all that he had just ordered a new ford at over $50,000. All with an unproven, 1st year engine.

I was talking with another guy last week that was just about to do the same. I asked him if he had researched the engine or Ford's reliability issues. "Nope, but it's got 400 horsepower" was the response. I asked him about the exhaust fluid and he was proud that it made them get so much better mileage and paid for itself.

Hmmmm. OK.

Well, let's see here.............where was I?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 PM

Stock vs Stock they are all 3 great trucks.

He mentioned the Ram is 8 grand less, plus as we know dodge will really wheel and deal compared to the others. I got 10 grand off MSRP on my current truck 3 years ago.

There is just less junk on the Dodge compared to the others and its a cheaper truck.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:56 PM

I think that GM trucks are just engineered better. For example, I always believed that a solid front axle was better for a heavy duty truck, but I have had far more trouble with my Dodge's front end than my Chevy's.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:08 PM

I'm going throw a monkey wrench in. For what you list you will tow get the new ram hemi. They have more than enough to do what you want. Get same mileage on cheaper fuel, no turbo or new emmisions junk we are dealing with. And sticker is almost 8k I think cheaper again for no diezel option. You can almost replace that enginevfor the cost of injectors. Cheaper oil changes. All bennifts
Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by PolishAggie
I think that GM trucks are just engineered better. For example, I always believed that a solid front axle was better for a heavy duty truck, but I have had far more trouble with my Dodge's front end than my Chevy's.
I'm a polish aggie too
Old 11-16-2010, 05:58 PM

If I was to buy new today, it would be a GMC Duramax. #1, there the only ones with a half back seat still. #2 The ride. #3 The Allison transmission.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:59 PM

I am going to go with the Dodge. I can get a better deal and the truck fits my needs better than the GMC. The times I have taken the truck for a test drive it just seems to fit me better.

Thank you everyone for the information and advice. I just found out I am getting a bonus from work but the hitch is it is not until my review which is in March. This is good news because it will help make my payments lower but sucks that I have to wait!!!

Quick Reply: Ram 2500 VS GMC 2500 Which one?