General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Quality Education

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality Education

So my son is planning on getting in to diesel mechanics for a career. He has always shown a proficiency for the trade, starting with small gas engines, on to rebuilding dirt bikes and quads, now on cars and trucks. He understands earning potential and the hazards of busted knuckles and greasy hands. Mechanics runs in his blood. His Grandfather was a Chevrolet technician most of his life. I have been an Industrial mechanic most of my working years. I want to get him into an accredited program to start on solid footing. We're going to UNOH open house in a few weeks and then maybe UTI. Just looking for some input on these or any other schools from people who have "been there, done that." Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have you looked into wyotech they are a good school and they have a campus right there in Blairsville, PA
Old 04-02-2014, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Crossy's Son is going to UTI in Philly.

Have a look here for a chance at a full scholarship to UTI. I know chances are slim, but worth a shot, right?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
For starters I'm 21. I graduated from lincoln tech in Denver just over a year ago. My main choice for going there was they offered a hydraulics and welding class. Wyo tech and uti don't. Also I wanted a degree that Lincoln offers. After high school I didn't feel a diploma was enough. The fact that Lincoln offered a degree not just a diploma was a huge factor four me. What I really didn't like about the school was they just moved to a new campus so the majority of all of my time was spent cleaning. I didn't spend $30k to clean floors

Was it worth it?
I would say kinda. I really just needed the piece of paper to get me in the door somewhere, since I already had a very good basis in the field. But I also did learn quite a bit. I do wish I would've added lincoln's welding program on too.